Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Burnley | 2nd March 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

WSSWSS
edited February 2013 in General Charlton
Introduction

“You can’t see the Forest for the trees” is a phrase that usually alludes to people who cannot see the bigger picture and are concentrating on the here an now. Unfortunately last time out, we saw all too much of the Forest as they dominated possession, chances and ultimately left The Valley with an extremely comfortable three points – but are we being too harsh on ourselves? Our home form has been lamented for much of the season for reasons hard to pinpoint, but the previous win away at Leicester (and the majority of away games) shows there is something about this team. Do we need to attack more at home? Is it simply in the players head? Or most likely, is it the fans’ fault…..?

Saturday sees Burnley roll into The Valley in what will hopefully be the Addicks’ fifth win of the season.

The Team

There is one enforced change that Chris Powell will have to contend with in light of Yann Kermorgant’s tête-à-tête with former Addick Greg Halford but how many other changes will the gaffer make to try and turn around the fortunes at home?

Ben Hamer has come under some criticism from some quarters in recent weeks, and another fumble against Nottingham Forest could indeed have the management hunting around that random box in the living room for a shiny Button although we’d expect Ben to remain in between the sticks for a while yet. Rhoys Wiggins made a solid if unspectacular return to action last Saturday and he will line up with the usual three at the back.

So. Four or five across the middle? Preview Towers think it could be a narrow four. With Rhoys at left back, Jacko could come inside alongside Dale Stephens and Pritchard with the option of the rested Lawrie Wilson or Scott Wagstaff occupying the right hand side. Up top, people are going to get their wishes – Fuller and Haynes will start. That being said, don’t be too surprised if Wagstaff starts on the left with Haynes on the advanced right supporting Ricardo.

The Opposition

Burnley sit a solitary point above the Addicks but are not on a great run of form. They haven’t won in six games with their last win coming just around the corner against Millwall back in January. In reality, we should expect goals on Saturday – the Clarets aren’t shy on their travels scoring on average 1.41 goals but they are very leaky – conceding 1.82 goals a game. The obvious threat is Charlie Austin who already has 21 goals this season with their next highest goal scorer (Martin Paterson) on a measly five goals. So, if you keep Austin quiet, you should have the powers to beat Burnley.

Prediction

Oh how a home win is needed. Badly needed. The last thing we need or want is to start that nervous looking over our shoulders feeling going into the last 8-10 games of the season. Preview Towers suspects some may sacrifice a win against Burnley for a guaranteed three points next time we’re back at The Valley but we need the maximum points now. We’ll get them. 2-1.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• CP alluded to the fact that he had been contemplating playing Evina wide,that could be worth a punt .Will he play Fuller and Haynes ,I worry that the pair will both limp off in the same game! Wilson deserves a recall and it would be good if Hughes makes the bench. Have not a clue re the score.I will go for 1-1 though.
  • Pray for a home win. Cmon you Addicks... 2-1
  • Even though i was at the Valley last Saturday, im suddenly confident the boys will get the job done this week, 3 0 win that flatters us but very much needed.

Fuller, Jackson & Wiggins with the goals.

COYR!

• A nervy 3-2 win
  • Draw at best. Clueless at home!
  • 0-0 yawn fest

• Surprisingly assured performance in front of lots of empty seats (most season ticket holders I know threw the towel in after Sheff Weds)

Saint Chris may have his faults but motivating the troops after a poor showing is not one of them.

Rousing 2-2 draw and another parking ticket courtesy of the Royal Borough of Fascists.
  • 3-0 to the Red & White Army.
  • 7 - 1 to the Addicks as Kerker runs riot in behind Fuller. Haynes and the Wagmaster in the goals from wide.

Button gives away a pen for their goal, is dropped and sold within hours
  • A clear home win on the grounds that even CP must surely be getting the message after last week.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-3, cant see much changing
  • it's a Saturday, we are at home, we are fucked.
  • The cushion from Armageddon is just 4 points if others win their games in hand.

We daren't lose.

A nervous point for us if we are lucky.
  • it's a Saturday, we are at home, we are fucked.

Language, Timothy !

But well done in the reverse pyschology stakes, Large !

• I have a feeling going on Saturday is the worse way to try and enjoy my 30th birthday.
  • welcome to the valley please collect 3 points on your way out.. i know we are known as the friendly club but getting silly now. worse of all im gona be in essex starting my cpc training so no doubt a 5 0 home win..
  • Anythijng less than three points will be 1 or 0
  • LenGlover said:

The cushion from Armageddon is just 4 points if others win their games in hand.

We daren't lose.

I think you will find we are seven points above the drop zone even if Peterborough win their game in hand. At present we are 8 points above Wolves.

• Awful at home. Impossible to see a win. 0-2
  • If we can't beat a team whose midfield is decimated by injuries and no wins in six then we are doomed. Powell's undroppable lovechild suspended means a return to free flowing football with Fuller and Haynes upfront. After last week surely Hamer and Stephens will get the chop, so 3-1 Addicks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • If the crowd is as quiet and nervous as they were against Forest we will lose.

If we get that old backs against the wall "f*ck you, we are Charlton" chanting going on we will win.
  • No freaking idea. Heart says win head says more of the same desperate home form. If I'm pushed 0 - 1 :0(
  • Yes stand up to the probable crap performance and sing up regardless. If we do then 2-0 victory. Its all in their heads.
  • edited February 2013
    Dansk_Red said:

LenGlover said:

The cushion from Armageddon is just 4 points if others win their games in hand.

We daren't lose.

I think you will find we are seven points above the drop zone even if Peterborough win their game in hand. At present we are 8 points above Wolves.

I thought Peterborough had two games in hand to us?

EDIT: Just checked and they lost to Bolton on Tuesday which I didn't know.

It would be nice to maintain a 3 win cushion though.
  • Three points here I think as we crawl to 50+ points,probably one up front so I'll go for 1-0.
  • wilson, haynes & fuller in for dervite, pritchard & kerm. 1-1
  • we're pretty chuff attacking wise, fuller/kermo apart ... grease lightening haynes has used all his luck up so he's gotta miss a load of sitters before his next wooooldy ....all the other midfield huffers and puffers, for all their committment, are not up to scratch and in all honesty have been out performing their natural ability most of the time
    defence is our strong point and village boy hamer has gone all idiot on us so that has seen us look shakey at the back
    anything but a win and a few twitches over the shoulder will be in order
    SCP to perform miracles and we'll nick a point 2-2
  • If Hughes was to get a place on the bench then Bradley Jordan has every right to knock on CP's door. I don't think Hughes is ready for the Championship.. same as Brad Jordan but Jordan has put in some shifts for the U21's this season and Harriott, Azeez and Fox have all been risked on the bench this season.

I HOPE we win with a clean sheet by more than 1 goal, with Hamer in goal.
  • RobRob
    edited March 2013
    I wasn't too worried after Forest because we met a good team at the wrong time, gathering momentum. If we don't do it against Burnley will be a different matter. I think we will though. A clean sheet, we'll smother Austin and it'll be lights out for them. 2-0. Fuller and Haynes.