Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MLS starts this weekend...

am sure most people don't give a monkeys but for those that live out here or follow it - who are you supporting as the season starts

I have slowly become a Portland Timbers fan, they have just signed Frederic Piquionne (ex Pompey & West Ham) - think they will have a decent season. I shoudl be a vancouver supporter really as they are my closest team, but I like Portland - great city & a cool team.

Any other MLS hats in the ring?

Few ex-CAFC now over here - Hogan Ephraim at Toronto FC & the legendary Djimi Traore at Seattle Sounders!! Even Nigel Reo-Coker has just signed for Vancouver...

Comments

• Options
    And Lloyd Sam remains with the Red Bulls.

Not a CAFC alum, but Earnshaw just signed with Toronto as well.

We're long time season ticket holders of DC United. Not really looking forward to the season other than the hope that many of the young players may have a chance to move on to greener pastures a la Andy Najar's transfer to Anderlecht.
  • Options
    with Bover & Corey Gibbs, we are half way to a full 11...
  • Options
    I didn't know that Bover had been signed by Red Bulls.
  • Options
    Who's the biggest star now after Henry?
  • Options
    I'll be keeping an eye on the Philadelphia Union (nice kit, crap name) as I'm out in philly every 8 to 12 weeks for work.
  • Options
    JT said:

Who's the biggest star now after Henry?

Hmmm...not sure there are any big stars, Tim Cahill / Robbie Keane / Mikael Silvestre spring to mind

• Options
    I actually quite like the MLS, the quality and style is similar to the Champuonship. I like Vancouver (for Kenny Miller) and Chicago and Seattle (for the fans) but I see LA winning it this year.
  • Options
    Prior to playing again did Paul Scholes move to the states to coach kids? He should do a season or two over there
  • Options
    It is Seattle for me, always a good atmosphere when I watch their games. They are on a Sunday morning in Bangkok, a nice way to start the day and prepare for brunch.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I actually quite like the MLS, the quality and style is similar to the Champuonship. I like Vancouver (for Kenny Miller) and Chicago and Seattle (for the fans) but I see LA winning it this year.

It is a decent league of a reasonable standard & not too gimmicky compared to other US sports, pretty open as well - 8 different champions since 2000, compared to 4 in the Premier League.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chicago Fire. No Brits to follow but a passionate and noisy loyal bunch of fans that are a little success starved.
  • Options
    The MLS is a fantastic league, very underrated. The atmosphere at the games is surprisingly very good.

I visit America often for work and the last time I was there they took me to the Gillette Stadium and I bought a New England Revolution shirt, so that's got to be my adopted team.

Biggest star in MLS after Henry has to be Landon Donovan.
  • Options
    Used to watch the Chicago Fire at Soldier Field when I lived there. Stoichkov was playing for them at the time, was well overweight but absolute quality on the ball. Also saw the first ever MLS game in New York when they were called the MetroStars. Still don't know why they didn't use the Cosmos brand think they missed a trick there. I enjoy the games.
  • Options
    Mate is a season ticket holder at Galaxy, so I suppose them, begrudgingly. Bit too big and popular for my liking really...
  • Options
    San Jose Earthquakes!

Anyone know of anywhere you can watch MLS highlights in the UK? Want to try and follow it a bit more closely this time around.
  • Options
    Get the MLS app - brilliant.
  • Options
    Another possible CAFC link to Torronto according to Sky.

Sky Sports understands that Darel Russell is to link up with MLS outfit Toronto FC after impressing during a trial spell.

The former Norwich and Stoke forward is available as a free agent after severing links with Portsmouth.

He parted company with the League One side in January, a day before his short-term contract at Fratton Park was due to expire.

The 32-year-old was offered an opportunity to catch the eye at Toronto, who are coached by former Norwich defender Jim Brennan.

Russell offered enough to suggest that he could make an impact in the MLS and is understood to have agreed a deal which will see him head to Canada for the 2013 campaign.
  • Options
    I will be supporting Red Bulls once again, been a semi-supporter since i was lucky enough to get a tour and meet many of the players via work contacts.

Plus i don't have any irish friends so im allowed to like Henry still. :-)

• Options
    Nug said:

Used to watch the Chicago Fire at Soldier Field when I lived there. Stoichkov was playing for them at the time, was well overweight but absolute quality on the ball. Also saw the first ever MLS game in New York when they were called the MetroStars. Still don't know why they didn't use the Cosmos brand think they missed a trick there. I enjoy the games.

They didnt use the name as the Cosmos are back!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Cosmos_(2010)
  • Options
    I will support anyone that beats Sporting Kansas City.

My old boss is from Kansas and has now gone back there to live.

I hated him and know he supports them so they are my worst team in the MLS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDL said:

Nug said:

They didnt use the name as the Cosmos are back!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Cosmos_(2010)
    Yeah i knew that, but they can't join the mls all the while the red bulls stay in ny is how I understand it due to the market being small, although I believe there are 2 teams in LA. I think they should have kept as manyy of the old NASL team names as possible and the kits...Tampa Bay Rowdies was my favourite kit.

• Options
    Listening to Shaun Wheelock (big MLS pundit, does the World Football Phone In on 5Live which I'd recommend), sounds like the New York Cosmos brand being revived really isn't as likely as some believe it to be. It makes enough money already as a clothing/image brand.

However, the MLS are very keen to have two sides in New York. What many seem to forget is that the New York Red Bulls are actually based in New Jersey....
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Listening to Shaun Wheelock (big MLS pundit, does the World Football Phone In on 5Live which I'd recommend), sounds like the New York Cosmos brand being revived really isn't as likely as some believe it to be. It makes enough money already as a clothing/image brand.

However, the MLS are very keen to have two sides in New York. What many seem to forget is that the New York Red Bulls are actually based in New Jersey....

True but don't they play near Newark? It's a stones throw from Manhattan in all honesty. Be interesting to see if a new New York team goes into one of the 5 boroughs, my guess would be Queens or Brooklyn.

• Options
    The NY Cosmos are debuting in the North American Soccer League (season starts in 3 weeks), I know this as my local team, The Atlanta Silverbacks are also in that league.

Be great if they allowed promotion and relegation between MLS and NASL.....maybe that will happen in a few years time.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

The NY Cosmos are debuting in the North American Soccer League (season starts in 3 weeks), I know this as my local team, The Atlanta Silverbacks are also in that league.

Be great if they allowed promotion and relegation between MLS and NASL.....maybe that will happen in a few years time.

It would be good, might capture the imagination of the public, not being used to promotion and relegation in the major pro sports over there?
  • Options
    Unlikely to ever happen. NASL and MLS really don't see eye to eye.
  • Options
    Didn't know there was an MLS thread here!

Anyway, being a resident of Rochester, NY, I'm quite fond of MLS. Root for the Red Bulls by default, although I have more of an interest in our local side, the Rochester Rhinos - still the only non-MLS team to win the US Open Cup since MLS began in 1996. Although interest is absolutely down from their late-90s high, where it seemed like they were close to joining MLS (there have been at least three documented periods where the team was all-but up, but couldn't come up with the expansion fee).

The reason why so many MLS clubs didn't use their old NASL logos/names was because the rights were expensive (at least that's why the Cosmos name wasn't used when the New York club launched in '96).

In any case, I don't believe you'll ever see pro/rel in America. MLS is still too new and investors really don't want to sink hundreds of millions of dollars into a product that too many would see here as second-rate. The best you might get is something akin to minor league baseball where players shuttle back and forth.

• Options
    Been here is Vancouver for 8 years and have followed them in the old NASL due to a family connection. Whitecaps for me and will be at the season opener against TFC tomorrow. Whitecaps have Reo-Cocker, Kenny Miller, Jay Demeritt, Andy O'Brien (ex Bolton & Leeds) A good midfield and forwards with Camilo (Brazil), Mattocks, young fast forward from Jamaica. Also Lee Young-Pyo once of Spurs. Could be a good season for us.
  • Options
    Was previously a season-ticket holder for Toronto FC (for probably five years). The product, in terms of MLS itself, isn't bad, I don't think, but I soured on the club itself. No single issue was all that significant, but I found that the experience wasn't as fan-friendly as it professed to be, and the owner is one of those enormous, multi-sport corporate ownership structures and as time went by it showed. It tries to portray itself as the "people's club", but little of the experience that I saw seemed to spring from the grassroots.

The quality of the league isn't such that I would make a point of watching a game on TV, but wouldn't turn up my nose at attending if the opportunity presented itself.

Agreed with Kidflash re unlikelihood of adoption of a promotion/relegation model. Tradition, and the franchise structure of North American sports dictates otherwise.