Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thieving British Bank 1-0 "All Powerful" EU

Rant alert!

This is a story both about how banks continue to steal from us, and evidence that the EU is nowhere near as powerful as eurosceptics maintain.
I need to transfer £40,000 from the UK to the Czech Republic. If I were to do it in the other direction, one internet transfer, and a fee of about £20, would do it. But from the UK? Oh, no. I am with HSBC here. The first problem is that HSBC allows you to transfer no more than £10,000 of your own money per day. Allegedly for our own security. Never mind that no such limit exists at Virgin Money from where I transferred the money to HSBC in one easy operation. So to transfer 40k I have to make four transactions on consecutive days, and HSBC charge me £17 each time, total £68.

Now where the EU comes in is that in theory HSBC offers "SEPA" payments. They only charge £9 for one. But I couldn't use it, because HSBC have a limit of only £2,000 for SEPA payments. So what is SEPA? As I now know, it stands for Single Euro Payment Area, and has been created by the European Commission to make all cross border electronic transactions as easy (and cheap) as domestic ones. And what's not to like about that?. It is backed by the Payment Services Directive, one of those nasty European laws from Brussels. Except that -take note Len - many big businesses stick their fingers up to such directives, and challenge consumers to do something about it (another example is the one year goods guarantee in the UK, which is two years in the rest of the EU). So HSBC's £2,000 limit is a totally arbitrary piss-take. There is nothing in SEPA that justifies it, let alone calls for it. It is HSBC's way of claiming to comply, while not really complying. And we get ripped off.

After half an hour on the phone, during which HSBC tried to claim that the £2k SEPA limit was mandatory, until I started quoting from the EU website, we reached a compromise whereby they would refund me £38 for making 4x £10k payments, bringing the fee down to £30. I'll give HSBC credit for at least allowing their call-centre people to cut such deals; and I know it is not the fault of these little people, and I always tell them I know they are not personally responsible. The person responsible is presumably one of the 200 HSBC managers people whom we learnt today earn a basic of more than £1m. Before bonuses. Which of course today George Osborne went, in our name,to Brussels, to try and stop the EU from limiting.

It is another example of how fundamentally corrupt the management culture of banking is. And since they are huge international businesses, it takes an international effort to fight them. But while they have a twonk like George Osborne in their pocket, even the EU can't save British customers from being ripped off.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    Vote with your feet.
    Move your account to, say, Citibank. (There's a branch, I know, in Prague.) They do loads of stuff at no charge including SEPA payments for me to Germany.
    However, I don't know about relatively large transfers - maybe alright to your own account in another country? Otherwise the Banks are very concerned indeed and rightly so about accounts getting cleared out by unauthorised withdrawals from fraudsters.
    Citibank, for example, send a text authorisation code to a mobile (previously registered with them) for an on-line withdrawal to a new payee and you have to input the code before a transfer will be concluded.
  • Options
    Or use a company like Moneycorp. I use them regularly and very good. No restrictions as i once sent circa 70,000 pounds for 12 pound charge.Good xrate too.
  • Options
    I've been forced into banking with HSBC here in Dubai since they took over the Lloyds Bank operations in early February. They are a total & utter disaster!! I spent over 4 hours on the phone yesterday trying to arrange a simple transfer of funds back to the UK, all of which were totally wasted. I then had to visit my local branch, where they gave my fundamentally incorrect information. As a result I now have to start the whole process over again today. I am pretty close to losing the will to live. And they call it customer service. Give me strength.
  • Options
    Never quite had the Hong Kong Banking Corporation down as a British bank. I bank with their offshoot First Direct and have to say they are night and day from Nat West who abused me for far too long. I'm afraid they all nip you for something, somewhere. It's how they make enough money to pay the top boys silly bonuses.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. Since I don't exactly move 40k around every week, moving accounts isn't really worth the hassle. The Moneycorp tip looks very interesting.

Red Pete. I think all the big banks are equally shite. And my guess is that their real money isn't made on the likes of us. Forced separation of the retail sector seems to me the way to go.
  • Options
    Why not just write yourself a cheque?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Shit. I never thought of that:-) Not sure whether my Czech a bank would accept it, nobody uses them out here. It's odd that in half an hour of wrangling with the HSBC people neither of them suggested this either, but that would be a good joke at my own expense, if this remains a valid payment system.

• Options
    Banker's drafts are only a tenner.
  • Options
    Next time speak to David White. He is in the foreign exchange industry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only a few words into the OP and couldn't stop the theme from the prince of bel-air from going round my head.
  • Options
    Prague - I work for Moneycorp albeit on the corporate side rather than private side and we (and most other fx brokers) are cheaper than the banks but banks rely on their clients being bit lazy and not comparing rates.

£9.00 for a same day transfer or £5.00 for a SEPA payment.

You can trade over the phone or be set up online where you can book your own fx deal to purchase CZK and set up your payments online too.

Fully FSA regulated etc etc and alongside travelex are the biggest fx brokers - 'Trusted Foreign exchange since 1979' as our marketing blurb says.

sorry if this turned out to be a bit of an advert !!!
  • Options

Addickted said:

Shit. I never thought of that:-) Not sure whether my Czech a bank would accept it, nobody uses them out here. It's odd that in half an hour of wrangling with the HSBC people neither of them suggested this either, but that would be a good joke at my own expense, if this remains a valid payment system.

The chances of the Czech bank accepting a UK cheque are negligible, and if they did you would be getting a shocking conversion rate.
  • Options
    Our taxes go to bail out the banks, and fund bonuses 'otherwise we would lose the talent'!!!!!, and therefore our taxes don't go to save Lewisham Hospital. That is one take on the mess the bankers have got us into.
    I also blame those who lent stupid money out to those who had no chance of paying it back, and those who went into hock for luxuries because they felt they were 'worth it, and you only live once anyway'!
    Sorry to be so parsimonious and superior here, but I used to save up for things, still do, and the only holiday I have had in the last seven years is three days in blimmin Cromer. However living within my personal means now adds up to jack chite, because I also have to take the range of austerity hits to pay for the extravagance of others.
    Grrrrr
  • Options
    Seth, I understand your position on banks, but your view is very simplistic.

This is from the House of Commons Library:
    "In 2011, financial and insurance services contributed £125.4 billion in gross value added (GVA) to the UK economy, 9.4% of the UK’s total GVA. London accounted for 45.8% of the total financial and insurance sector GVA in the UK in 2009. The sector’s contribution to UK jobs is around 3.6%. Trade in financial services makes up a substantial proportion of the UK’s trade surplus in services. In 2010-11 the banking sector alone contributed £21.0 billion to UK tax receipts in corporation tax, income tax and national insurance."

I have emboldened the bit about tax receipts from the banking industry because they are on-going receipts year in year out. Please do not confuse how much the Government has used to bail-out the banks, much of which will be recoverable in due course with how much the Government has actually lost. Loses currently stand at around $111bn some of which is in respect of the difference between the price paid for Lloyds/RBS shares and what they are now worth. But around £50bn is down the toilet on Bradford & Bingley & Northern Rock. Neither of which were world famous for paying out huge bonuses or running vast amries of investment bankers: they just had a very bad business model.

In any event, bank's taxation receipts will have paid for the bail-out in five years or so. The added value they bring to the UK economy paid for the bail-out in one single year.
    Are you really saying you would have prefered the british banking sector to have disintegrated? It would, you know, have taken our economy and the value of many, many pension funds with it.
  • Options
    I think the general point is that we see banks cutting staff, reducing benefits to the people we the great unwashed have to deal with, to the point where you are no better off working for the bank than you are cleaning the floors in Tesco ( no offence meant ) so you end up dealing with someone who is under motivated and without job satisfaction. Meanwhile the Oxbridge set who only work the same number of hours that the people who they pay the least they possibly can get away with do, take millions...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Prague - I work for Moneycorp albeit on the corporate side rather than private side and we (and most other fx brokers) are cheaper than the banks but banks rely on their clients being bit lazy and not comparing rates.

You can trade over the phone or be set up online where you can book your own fx deal to purchase CZK and set up your payments online too.

Fully FSA regulated etc etc and alongside travelex are the biggest fx brokers - 'Trusted Foreign exchange since 1979' as our marketing blurb says.

Terrific, MrOneLung. Whats not to like about adverts that save you money.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Addickted said:

The chances of the Czech bank accepting a UK cheque are negligible, and if they did you would be getting a shocking conversion rate.
    I used to transfer money from my UK account using cheques, albeit not such large amounts - only a few thousand at a time at most. The exchange rate was decent and the fee was no more than for a simple bank transfer, usually in the region of 30 quid. Haven't done it for a few years now though, so no idea if they're still accepted.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Addickted said:

I used to transfer money from my UK account using cheques, albeit not such large amounts - only a few thousand at a time at most. The exchange rate was decent and the fee was no more than for a simple bank transfer, usually in the region of 30 quid. Haven't done it for a few years now though, so no idea if they're still accepted.
    Hi Steve :-)

What is even more annoying in my case is that I have a Raiffeissen e-Konto account. It allows you to keep five sub-accounts in different currencies under one account number, and switch between currencies with no fee. So I wasn't even looking for a transfer with a currency exchange, it was GBP-GBP.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Seth, I understand your position on banks, but your view is very simplistic.

This is from the House of Commons Library:
    "In 2011, financial and insurance services contributed £125.4 billion in gross value added (GVA) to the UK economy, 9.4% of the UK’s total GVA. London accounted for 45.8% of the total financial and insurance sector GVA in the UK in 2009. The sector’s contribution to UK jobs is around 3.6%. Trade in financial services makes up a substantial proportion of the UK’s trade surplus in services. In 2010-11 the banking sector alone contributed £21.0 billion to UK tax receipts in corporation tax, income tax and national insurance."

I have emboldened the bit about tax receipts from the banking industry because they are on-going receipts year in year out. Please do not confuse how much the Government has used to bail-out the banks, much of which will be recoverable in due course with how much the Government has actually lost. Loses currently stand at around $111bn some of which is in respect of the difference between the price paid for Lloyds/RBS shares and what they are now worth. But around £50bn is down the toilet on Bradford & Bingley & Northern Rock. Neither of which were world famous for paying out huge bonuses or running vast amries of investment bankers: they just had a very bad business model.

In any event, bank's taxation receipts will have paid for the bail-out in five years or so. The added value they bring to the UK economy paid for the bail-out in one single year.
    Are you really saying you would have prefered the british banking sector to have disintegrated? It would, you know, have taken our economy and the value of many, many pension funds with it.

You make a decent overall defence of the benefit of having a strong bank sector located in the UK. However as for the costs of their appalling behaviour, don't forget to factor in the cost of a five year recession for which their appalling behaviour is largely responsible. You may say that it started in the USA, but we can see that the banking culture is global. I have a Slovak friend who has done very well professionally in marketing. She learnt her skills in international FMCG companies before spending some years at o2, and then an unhappy year in banking at Raiffeissen (as it happens the bank I use, with a relatively good reputation among customers). When I asked her why it was so bad, she said "you know at O2 there was at least some semblance of establishing what the customer wants and endeavouring to give it to them. At the bank they just sit around thinking up cynical ways to rip people off, and laugh as they do it."

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    let's not forget that the bankers pay tax on these bonuses so if they were limited then tax revenue would decrease. Anyway, if a Banker through good work earns his Bank say 30m in profit one year why should he not be hansomely rewarded. No different that Ricky Fuller being on a bonus for each goal he scores.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Or write me a cheque PA ;0)
  • Options
    i dont think that the call centre payment processing types or their management will be getting the fat cat bonuses From HSBC but the experience above is nevertheless galling
  • Options
    I had the same problem with HSBC last year Prague. I had to transfer money to the Netherlands over a number of days because of the limit. I just swallowed it and paid the fees. To be fair to HSBC their staff were very apologetic and helpful.
  • Options

let's not forget that the bankers pay tax on these bonuses so if they were limited then tax revenue would decrease. Anyway, if a Banker through good work earns his Bank say 30m in profit one year why should he not be hansomely rewarded. No different that Ricky Fuller being on a bonus for each goal he scores.

Ah, except Large I don't think many strikers are on such a bonus, because its a team game, and the striker's job in that team is to score goals. For which Ricardo is paid 14k a week, allegedly, regardless of how many goals he actually scores (and probably regardless of whether he's actually fit or not, but I'm just guessing). From what I've seen of last night's action any bonus for our second goal should go to Chris Solly.

Loads of senior level bank executives have earned huge bonuses for things like exceeding targets on sales of PPI. Instead of getting bonuses a lot of them should be doing time. As Simon Jenkins, hardly a leftie, argues here , these bonuses are actually money that should have been returned to shareholders. They can **** off to Dubai if they want. A lot of that talk is bluff anyway.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Prague, i can confirm, as a custome,r that Moneycorp are very good, been using them for over a decade, and hardly ever have a problem-easily booked online.

One-Lung, you promised my next transaction free, right ?
  • Options
    Sorry President - I dont have access to the private accounts or I would....
  • Options
    I can confirm that my viewpoint is simplistic, and I would not be liked by any friends of banks because I try to save rather than borrow, a less profitable customer probably.
    However my simplistic view is shared by many who vote, 'taxes for bankers, cuts for hospitals', and it will be notions such as this that will influence them at the ballot box. The recent elections in Italy, the unrest in Greece and elsewhere, the power of the internet, and simplistic notions such as mine; these elements are very likely to combine to create a very different political landscape in Europe.
  • Options

Ah, except Large I don't think many strikers are on such a bonus, because its a team game, and the striker's job in that team is to score goals. For which Ricardo is paid 14k a week, allegedly, regardless of how many goals he actually scores (and probably regardless of whether he's actually fit or not, but I'm just guessing). From what I've seen of last night's action any bonus for our second goal should go to Chris Solly.

Loads of senior level bank executives have earned huge bonuses for things like exceeding targets on sales of PPI. Instead of getting bonuses a lot of them should be doing time. As Simon Jenkins, hardly a leftie, argues here , these bonuses are actually money that should have been returned to shareholders. They can **** off to Dubai if they want. A lot of that talk is bluff anyway.

Prague - Anthony Hilton had a similar take in The Standard last night. Not my favourite rag, but it fills a hole on the commute home and he's one of the few who often talk a lot of sense.

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/markets/anthony-hilton-bonus-row-is-a-matter-of-trading-places-8521021.html

As an "old-fashioned" bank manager in Barclays, looking after clients from £8m to £1bn turnover, I know that myself and many of my colleagues have not seen pay rises or bonuses for several years. Not great, but also not something to moan about. We still have a job at the moment, which many don't as a result of the last few years turmoil.

I appreciate that you noted above that it isn't the general banking people who have benefitted from exorbitant salaries/bonuses...a lot of us have been here for many years looking after clients who have become friends and are a little hacked off at being lumped in with cowboys. Some of us are in it together.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Addickted said:

Hi Steve :-)

What is even more annoying in my case is that I have a Raiffeissen e-Konto account. It allows you to keep five sub-accounts in different currencies under one account number, and switch between currencies with no fee. So I wasn't even looking for a transfer with a currency exchange, it was GBP-GBP.

Hi Richard, I agree it's infuriating how far behind British banks seem to be when it comes to "ordinary" expats, i.e. those wanting to transfer amount in the hundreds to several thousands. If you wanted to transfer a million I'm sure they'd waive the limits and the fees. On the other hand though, it drives me crazy how Czech banks tend to charge for everyday things - most of them actually charge you do make a withdrawal or, even more infuriating, a deposit (yes you actually have to pay them to allow you to put money into your own account). It does seem to be changing on that front though.