Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sofas

Looking at getting a sofa bed and sofa. So long since we bought out current ones we're not sure where's best nowadays. What's people's recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    craigslist
  • Options
    DFS. People might slag them off, but we have twice bought 2 & 3 seater combo's. Only replaced the first 2 & 3 seaters because we got bored with them.

Also bought a bed from them.

The interest free credit is also a big draw.
  • Options
    As clem says , any of the usual suspects really . Just see who has the best deals on mate .
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I heard today that Dreams have gone belly up.

You can tell i need a sleep :-0

Dreams do beds not sofas... Der.
  • Options
    Try Sofa Sofa. I pasted a link but for some reason, the comment is being held for approval or something.

There is a show room in south wales in crumlin south wales which is not far from Cardiff, which you could take in if you are going to that Charlton away game. They sometimes do shows in a hotel in Cardiff where you can see the furniture.

They are pretty good value. Worth a look. They will send out a catalogue if requested.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Do not under any circumstances go to Harvey's . They will sell you shite which will be delivered late and when it eventually falls apart within 4 months they will do their best to not replace the crap you bought .
    Just google "reviews for Harvey's" and you will see there are hundreds of customers who have bad experiences with these muppets .
  • Options
    Never had a problem with DFS & they have a sale on for at least half the year. Interest free credit as well.
  • Options
    vff said:

Try Sofa Sofa. I pasted a link but for some reason, the comment is being held for approval or something.

There is a show room in south wales in crumlin south wales which is not far from Cardiff, which you could take in if you are going to that Charlton away game. They sometimes do shows in a hotel in Cardiff where you can see the furniture.

They are pretty good value. Worth a look. They will send out a catalogue if requested.

Bought my first sofa from them 9 years ago. Drove up to Birmingham as they have a showroom there too (or did have). Bought a corner sofa and they delivered, unpacked & installed it at 10pm on a Thursday night for the extremely reasonable price of £550 all in.

Just bought a new one fom DFS as the 1 year free and then 2 years interest free was very appealing.

Tried Fishpools out in Waltham Abbey. They had a great selection too.
  • Options
    Just buy the very best you can afford. Bought two thick leather ones eight years ago in a sale - still paid three and a half grand for them - one of the best investments we ever made, they are still in excellent condition. Even more important on the sofa bed, cheap ones deteriorate very quickly.
  • Options
    Got mine last year from SCS in Lakeside. Really impressed with the quality of leather. Looked at a few other places and they didn't look like they'd last 6 months. Can't comment on DFS though...............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got mine from CSL. No complaints at all.
  • Options
    Seems like SCS , CSL or DFS then . Funny enough our current ones were bought for around £600 for two three seat leather ones from Argos and it's only now that one of them is starting to go. Would like to get a sofa and a sofabed for one people stay . Also bear in mind that even though she will let me believe I''ve made the final decision it will probably be the Mrs that makes the choice.
  • Options
    Got mine from DFS. Slightly annoyed that they wouldn't cut a deal for a cash purchase, so ended up with the 4 years interest-free deal instead (which at least gives you section 75 consumer credit act protection). That's just run its course and the sofas are still fine. (No dogs or kids mind!) One had a fault with the electric recliner after a year but DFS sorted it pretty quickly.
    Two tips - only buy from them during sales - I expect that's pretty much 24/7 anyway and do think very carefully about whether or not you need the extended "warranty" by reading the "what's not covered" small print before you sign up - you'll probably find it differs somewhat from what the salesman tells you. We bought the warranty on Mrs Cafcfan's command and when I acutually sat down and look at the exclusions I did wonder what benefits there actually were!
  • Options
    We managed to get an ex-display leather corner sofa about a year ago - not a scratch on it and half price.

A lot of the time they are the best made ones as they need to look good etc in the showroom, so worth looking.
  • Options
    I bought a 2 & a 3 seater leather sofa from DFS about 5 years ago...........my only grumble is that the seats in both sofas are all built in so you can't take it out to re-shapen. Both sofas now sag a lot in the middle and I wouldn't buy them again.............nothing against DFS themselves but I've learnt my lesson & when I buy again I'll check to see if it can come apart.
  • Options
    Bought a brown leather 2 & 3 seater from M&S about 3 years ago now when I moved into my flat in a sale, were worth £1,800 but paid £900. Well pleased with them.
  • Options
    John Lewis have good selection and some are in stock for immediate delivery, not in xx weeks time
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    JohnBoyUK said:

Bought a brown leather 2 & 3 seater from M&S about 3 years ago now when I moved into my flat in a sale, were worth £1,800 but paid £900. Well pleased with them.

That's exactly the deal we got on ours, was Nasons in Canterbury, so good quality and worth it.
  • Options
    I bought a sof a from Sofa Sofa on the basis that they were British made. I even had two Welsh Boyos deliver it.

Regarding DFS - be careful if you go down the pay nothing for 18 months or whatever, if you miss the payment day you are liable for the entire lump sum and watch for added fees for fabric protection etc.
  • Options
    Indigo Furniture, based up t north. Got a couple of thier chairs and sofas, very pleased.
    Also have some DFS chairs and sofas not as good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a general rule, if you can see something in John Lewis that you like and can afford, do it. They are a brilliantly run company. By the way I have never worked for them.
  • Options
    One thing I learnt from last time is that I will try before I buy. Our sofas took a good couple of years of wearing in before they were comfortable enough for us.
  • Options
    There a lovely little dump down in thamesmead. Have a little rummage down there mate
  • Options
    http://www.sofasofa.co.uk/?gclid=CJbaxLqK6bUCFUbMtAodUnIAYg

Sofa Sofa are good. They have a showroom in South Wales but do have shows in Hammersmith in the Nortel hotel.

Well made and good value. Maybe you could check them out if you are taking in the Cardiff game. They send out a catlogue as if you request it.
  • Options
    I bought some from Indigo Furniture last year, very pleased with them, not everyones taste.
    http://www.indigofurniture.co.uk/living-room-furniture.

Also got a couple of sofas from DFS, they were cheap. thats the best I can say.
  • Options
    http://www.sofasofa.co.uk/?gclid=CJbaxLqK6bUCFUbMtAodUnIAYg

Sofa Sofa are good. They have a showroom in South Wales but do have shows in Hammersmith in the Nortel hotel.

Well made and good value. Maybe you could check them out if you are taking in the Cardiff game. They send out a catlogue as if you request it.
  • Options
    I bought some from Indigo Furniture last year, very pleased with them, not everyones taste.
    http://www.indigofurniture.co.uk/living-room-furniture.

Also got a couple of sofas from DFS, they were cheap. thats the best I can say.