Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First Among Equals: The Laurie Cunningham Story

Anybody else watch this? I thought it was really good. Was before my time so not a story I was familiar with.

Comments

• Options
    Didn't see the programme but have taped it,he was a major talent at Orient when we used to play them regularly in the mid 70's.

An interesting bit of trivia is that he came on as a late sub when Wimbledon won the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Went out with a bird called Laurie Cunningham some years back.
    Lovely girl, once tried to stab me with a pair of scissors while i lay in bed.
  • Options
    Anyone know which channel this was on, so I can watch it on the online player?.............
  • Options

Anyone know which channel this was on, so I can watch it on the online player?.............

itv 4

a little sad at the end
  • Options
    Excellent programme, they didnt say whether his son has inherited his dad's talent though.
  • Options
    If he stayed in England he could have been the best in the country, he had an unbelieveable talent. He could take inswinging corners with the outside of his boot with an accuracy that had to be seen to be believed. It is fair to say that Real Madrid and Spain did not take to him for reasons only known to them. Very sad, if he had lived long enough he had a great story to tell.
  • Options
    I watched this last night, what a talent! I too wasnt aware of his story and had forgotten he played for Wimbledon in the '88 Cup Final - if he was around today, he'd be a global superstar, those corners with the outside of the boot were awesome.

Such a sad ending to his career, can see why he went to Madrid but maybe it would have been better for him to remain on these shores - sad also that his son didn't really know/remember his dad because he died at 33. RIP
  • Options
    Found it pretty moving. He semed like a humble bloke.
    I'd forgotten the Wimbledon thing too.
  • Options
    Hard to believe a player of his talent only won 6 England caps. Says it all about this country really, work rate is quite often preferred to artistry.
  • Options
    Brilliant programme shown on ITV last Wednesday night. I was lucky enough to see him play when he was at Orient and WBA. Real shame he didn't make the Man Utd v Brighton cup final. But as Ron Atkinson say's was totally honest about his fitness. Very sad about his early death. Seemed a great person. Impressed by seeing him speak fluent Spanish in one shot. If you haven't seen this programme catch it on ITV iplayer!