Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Friday Moral Maze - If asked would you freely provide a DNA sample for police records?

Personally I have nothing to hide so wouldn't object however I know people who claim it would be a huge violation of their privacy.

If it could be used sensibly to assist in solving crimes then it's surely a great idea but I guess the counter argument is that it would potentially be easier for mistakes to occur or for the police to frame people.

I'll put my blind faith in the police and say it's a good thing - but what say ye o' wise forum

Comments

• Options
    No, incase I want to kill anyone then you can get away with it better
  • Options
    FUCK no
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Iainment says people who post a contentious bit of news and then put "what say you" at the end of it risk being seen as pompous arses

: - )
  • Options
    No chance. Nothing to hide, but as i have no intention of doing anything illegal there is no point them having it. No reason clogging up their database with stuff they will never need or use.
  • Options
    No - Nothing to hide but if I ever felt like doing something wrong they'd have to earn their money and find me the old school way!
  • Options
    think it should be done at birth
  • Options
    I would if asked to help in a rape or murder but object to them taking it when your charged without being guilty
  • Options
    yes
  • Options

I would if asked to help in a rape or murder

When I'm asked to help in a rape or murder I just say 'no'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No.
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Depends how they took it
  • Options
    No way.

say one day you scratch your head and a hair falls out it then falls onto someone who transports it somewhere else . it the gets transported to someone who is killed. police find your hair, they have got your dna if you cant prove you were somewhere else you are guilty
  • Options
    No...

Every time I see someone justifying something like this it usually comes with the excuse that "if you haven't done anything wrong then you've nothing to worry about", only for innocent people to get arrested.
  • Options
    DPFC said:

No way.

say one day you scratch your head and a hair falls out it then falls onto someone who transports it somewhere else . it the gets transported to someone who is killed. police find your hair, they have got your dna if you cant prove you were somewhere else you are guilty

I'd be ok, mine fell out years ago
  • Options
    DPFC said:

No way.

this potentially is a major problem .. also, it can make it a doddle if (say) you fall foul of the Law/Government for you to be fitted up/framed. They (the 'lawmakers') are the ones who control access to the database and associated technology
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I can't remember the facts but, from memory, 1 in 2500 DNA tests are wrong. This might not seem like a lot but it is used as uncontestable evidence in court. Further, this could lead to some innocent person being pulled up from a national database and wrongly convicted. There's quite a lot of stuff on the internet about it (which, of course, does not make it all true). However, I am a 'no'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecutor%27s_fallacyhttp://

• Options
    I think people granted asylum or resident status have to have their "biometrics" taken and have a "biometric" ID card.

It's a good thing as they can prove who they are and so can the police/NHS etc

For that reason I like the idea and think everyone should have it done at 16 or even at birth.

But I also worry about the misuse of such information by the Police, courts or Govt.

If I was satisfied about the latter I'd be happy for it to happen.
  • Options
    No chance.

I had a friend who discovered a dead body on the common on their way home one night. He did the good citizen thing and phoned the police, answered all their questions back at the station etc. When it came to giving a DNA sample my friend wasn't all that keen. Of course, the police then threatened to arrest him in which case he would HAVE to provide a DNA sample. They took months to return his coat to him as well.

And they wonder why people don't trust them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Despite the obvious benefit to crime detection (my cousin was murdered and a DNA database would have caught the scum bag much earlier) I don't want my DNA stored in Whitehall. Problems include:

Paternity issues
    The DNA of your family is similar to yours so they get caught up in it
    The Police would fcuk it up in some way
  • Options
    Absolutely no chance. I trust the authorities and powers that be about as far as I could lob a lifesize bronze bust of Dave Cameron.
  • Options
    no chance whatsoever. They'd have to take my DNA from my cold dead body. If you don't find this idea terrifying then I really worry for humanity.
  • Options
    Only people with nothing to hide would volunteer, same applies to voluntary ID cards etc, they wouldn't make the job of the police any easier, but they might make it easier to persecute us all in the future when we are under a total police state. I'm off to put my tin foil hat on...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Another vote for no way.Too much danger of trawling the database and making the case fit, rather than finding the suspect and then confirming their presence at the scene via DNA tests.
  • Options
    If the female PC was attractive enough I would give her a sample.
  • Options
    I think everyone should be micro chipped too
  • Options
    I been framed man.
  • Options
    No. Why? Because this is not North Korea.

I would rather go to prison than let the government take any such sample of my family or myself.
  • Options
    I think it would be too difficult to manage to ever be a viable system. Especially as mistakes can occur.

If it were 100% accurate and only a matter of privacy, i'd happily let them take my DNA. It's just the fact that there's a small chance I could get done for something I didn't do.