Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Missed Chances

It always puzzels me when people say, we could have been 3 or 4 nil up when there have been several missed chances in a game.If the first goal chance had been scored,the play would have gone in a different direction,( because of the restart) therefor the other goal opportunities would have not occurred.

Comments

• Options
    Agree!! Although you could argue, 'on the balance of play, they should have created plenty of chances and converted some of them' which is kinda fair.

Also "saved by the post" - really? I can't help but feel if the post wasn't there, the goal would've fallen down.
  • Options
    Agreed. Even managers come out with things like "It could have been 6 or 7 by half time"

Really? Could it???
  • Options
    The other one is when a team scores late on in an away leg to make it 1-0. The game finishes that way and the commentator will always go on about the vital away goal.

Except it's bollox. That goal is worth no more than a normal goal. There is no circumstance we it is of any value more than a normal goal.

You're 1-0 going into the home leg. If the opponents score to make it 1-1 on aggregate, then it was only worth 1 goal. If the opponents fail to score, then you win 1-0, still just a normal goal. If the opponents score more than 1 then it's equally worthless.
  • Options
    'He sent the goalkeeper the wrong way' - Utter Drivel.

The reality is most keepers choose the side they are gonna dive to and go for it.
  • Options

The other one is when a team scores late on in an away leg to make it 1-0. The game finishes that way and the commentator will always go on about the vital away goal.

Except it's bollox. That goal is worth no more than a normal goal. There is no circumstance we it is of any value more than a normal goal.

You're 1-0 going into the home leg. If the opponents score to make it 1-1 on aggregate, then it was only worth 1 goal. If the opponents fail to score, then you win 1-0, still just a normal goal. If the opponents score more than 1 then it's equally worthless.

Correct, 'vital away goals' actually happen when teams losing, for example, 2-0 away nick a late consolation, as that completely changes the mathematics, the lead losing 2-1 away knows a 1-0 win will send them though.
  • Options
    By the same token, had Cardiff not gone two up at The Valley, we wouldn't have scored five goals. I 'spose it's the butterfly effect?
  • Options
    I never understand how forwards can 'hit it too well'
  • Options
    edited March 2013

That's not strictly true. Not only does it give an advantage of being a goal in front when you start your home game but it prevents a 1-1 draw at home being a success for the away team in the second leg.

However I think the assumption is that the vital 'away' goal is not specifically a goal that counts double but the potential to lose a goal at home and not have to score two, which you would have to do if you'd not scored away.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

I never understand how forwards can 'hit it too well'

I would guess that's because the keeper moves smartly to anticipate the shot, by reading the striker's body movement.

It's a striker's miss-hits and deflections, which a keeper cannot legislate for.

• Options
    periods of being in the ascendancy chances missed.