Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Protein Supplements

Just got Progain Extreme by Maximuscle come through. They recommend 2 servings on work out days. 1 in morning and 1 straight after working out, I am planning on using it two days a week (Tues & Thurs). However this will mean it lasts for around a month, for £40 seems expensive... Anyone know of any cheap good whey protein powders?

Comments

• Options
    Myprotein 35 quid for 2.5kg of impact whey concentrate,including next day delivery. I started using it at uni to cut costs and haven't switched brands since,huge range of prodcuts aswell. http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html
  • Options
    Myprotein is the best however their service is getting alot worse of late, delivery delayed, wrong products sent occasionally etc. Plenty of options out there though, explosivenutrition.co.uk is a good'un for branded goods always some offers on there, they chuck in some free tester BCAA's and protein shakes too, which is decent for free!
  • Options
    http://www.fitnessone.com/index.php

Cheapest site i know for all suppliments - They ship to the UK as well but its pretty convenient being here in Canada.
  • Options
    Bodybuilding Warehouse sell cheap protein. £50 for 5kg or thereabouts.
  • Options
    Myprotein is the nuts... Couldn't recommend it more.
  • Options
    funnily enough ive just started weight training again and my mate recommeneded MyProtein. bought some basic whey protein last thursday (very very cheap) and arrived today.

would definately recommend it. think they are also doing a offer atm - 40% off i think.

also the choice of flavours is ridiculous.
  • Options
    I use True Whey from Myprotien, mixes well with milk, reasonable cost. However as Athletico mentions the service is problematic. About 3 out of 5 deliveries have gone astray: got sorted out in the end, but I've had enough of them now. Shame as True Whey is the best quality I've come across (tried Impact and a couple of Holland and Barret products and they're not as good).
  • Options
    Cheers guy will try myprotein after my maximuscle runs out, is there a muscle and weight gain product like maximuscles progain extreme? Would like to try a myprotein alternative.
  • Options
    Two things to add:

Protein from food is better than a protein supplement, so use supplements for convenience, or if you really struggle to get enough food protein in.

It's important to take protein after a workout as mentioned, but a fair amount of muscle growth takes place on the rest days, so don't neglect protein intake on those days.
  • Options
    HH a PT who knew his stuff told me once that protein supps ie whey may not be good for the liver/ kidneys if used for prolonged periods?

Any truth in that? Obviously never going to be publish anything remotely negative about them on fitness websites/ in fitness mags as they fund them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

HH a PT who knew his stuff told me once that protein supps ie whey may not be good for the liver/ kidneys if used for prolonged periods?

Any truth in that? Obviously never going to be publish anything remotely negative about them on fitness websites/ in fitness mags as they fund them.

I've heard some stories to that effect, but as with most research on diet/exercise, it's often flawed by a low number of participants. Not heard too many cases of bodybuilders keeling over from kidney failure - and these guys have been taking it in spades for decades now.

I suppose it's possible that the body will dehydrate itself in order to flush out protein that it feels is unnecessary, which could put a stress on those organs, but dehydration is easily fixed by drinking more water (you have to drink a LOT of water before this in itself becomes a problem), or taking your protein supplement with water and not milk. Also with this in mind it's sensible to limit the amount of protein consumed in one go. The consensus seems to be around 50g max, although some recommend lower. Apart from post-workout I normally advise people to try and get a small amount of protein at regular intervals, partly to guard against possible dehydration, but also so that your muscles have always got something to chew on.

• Options
    Cheers HH.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Doesn't anybody rate "Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey" anymore?
  • Options
    Can't you just eat some chicken?
  • Options
    WSS said:

Or some raw egg ?

• Options
    WSS said:

Yes you can. Or fish, or turkey. Supplements should be there to top up the protein intake, or for convenience.

• Options

Cheers guy will try myprotein after my maximuscle runs out, is there a muscle and weight gain product like maximuscles progain extreme? Would like to try a myprotein alternative.

Try their Hurricane range. That's your basic protein,carbs,creatine 'all in one' supplement

• Options
    Matrix Anabolic is meant to be the best protein content/£. However it's meant to be gag-inducingly vile in taste
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Matrix Anabolic is meant to be the best protein content/£. However it's meant to be gag-inducingly vile in taste

I use matrix whey protein, the chocolate, cookies and creme and strawberry all tasty enough.
  • Options
    USN Pure protein
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jt gets it.
  • Options
    myprotein.com

Cheap, effective, loads of flavours and next day delivery if you order before 2pm

Take immediately after your workout, and in the morning if you've worked out the night before.
  • Options

Are you wishing to really bulk up, as protein & weight gain would be your best option for example...
    Depends on the protein/carb measurement. All are different. It really depends on what you are training for...

• Options
    _nam11 said:

Are you wishing to really bulk up, as protein & weight gain would be your best option for example...
    Depends on the protein/carb measurement. All are different. It really depends on what you are training for...

Yeah looking to really bulk, can't stand this maximuscle tastes like crap the strawberry stuff
  • Options
    Mine is from Italy, high in protein, low in carbs and fat.

Weight gain is good, but you need to be committed. If you want to be really big, you will have to look at your diet also.

I will have a word with a couple of meat heads at my gym, and get their suggestions, as I don't use weight gain.

I just have a pre workout shake, a post one, and keep a balanced diet.
  • Options
    Anyone got a referral code for myprotein ?
  • Options
    MP363245 if you'd be so kind!
  • Options
    Paronama basically said protein shakes are a rip off and won't work. Could work as a placebo in a way, people buy them and start working out and see the muscle gain. Best thing to do eat plenty of fresh fish, chicken and rice.

Organic products will always be better.
  • Options
    That panorama really missed the point unfortunately. The key is to not replace meals with shakes,because as you said whole food is always better. But after a workout,your body has an 'anabolic window' of around 30-40 minutes and if you eat a chicken breast or a fillet of fish,your body won't digest it in time to get the right macronutrients to where they need to be before catabolism sets in. That is where a fast digesting whey protein shake comes in. Whey concentrate being the standard issue,taking around 20-30 minutes to be fully digested,or a whey isolate or hydrosylate shake being digested almost immediately but for a lot more money.