Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup Replays

With the debacle of not being able to find a replay date for Chelsea and Man United at this stage of the season; How long will it be before they scrap replays in the FA Cup?

Tbh it would ruin the FA Cup (like it hasn't been ruined already with other things such as semis at Wembley, having the final before the end of the season and having the final kicking off at 5:15) but I think it's been on the cards for sometime IMHO.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah,my Utd ST holding colleague mentioned it this afternoon. Has no date been announced then?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Yeah,my Utd ST holding colleague mentioned it this afternoon. Has no date been announced then?

Announced later in the week.
  • Options
    Wenger called for FA Cup replays to be scrapped a couple of seasons ago. Got shouted down by most, including the FA.

I agree with you, it would devalue the competition for me.
  • Options
    Did it devalue it when replays in the finals were scrapped?
  • Options
    Re plays generate money and are therefore a good thing at below Premier league level. Scumwall will get about £100k for TV rights and the winner gets about £350 so hopefully they will lose after getting a kicking.

I think they play extra time and then penalties. Hopefully this will happen as well and they get snowed in on the way home.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Bring back 3rd and 4th replays like the old days. You'd play on the Saturday, then the replay on the Tuesday then maybe even Thursday, league game Saturday and 3rd replay on the next Tuesday. Probably the same first choice 11 players from both teams too.
    Nothing a few cortisone jabs couldn't sort in those days.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Did it devalue it when replays in the finals were scrapped?

I think so, yes. Nothing like a good old replay at Hillsborough on a Thursday evening.
  • Options
    Back in the day there would be replay after replay until someone won in 120 minutes. There was only ever a penalty shoot-out if there were no winner after 120 minutes of a Cup Final Replay. Back in those days a penalty shoot-out was outrageously exciting. These days there is normally a couple of shoot-outs in each round.

I remember the Arsenal, Liverpool semi-final in 1980. They played out a draw in the league during the same time, so they met each other five times in less than three weeks. My Dad's best friend, at the time, was an Arsenal fan so he went to those games (not the league game) and to this day he describes the four games as Liverpool looking the better side in the first game or two but that Arsenal eventually took the impetus and won in the fifth game (including the league match). Those days will never return, and I think that has, to a large degree, devalued the FA Cup as it's now like every other cup competition in the world. It's an irrelevance. The top teams don't take it seriously as they know they are unlikely not to get to the latter stages, even if they play reserves. The smaller teams don't, really, try as they know they can't, realistically, expect to get anywhere near the final and even if they do they will not win it.

I think you have to go back to 1980 for the last time the Cup was won by a team out of the top flight, and that was West Ham who won the second division the following season at a canter. 2008 (Portsmouth) and 1995 (Everton) are the only two teams to have won the FA Cup outside of the top four since Spurs won it in 1991. It's no wonder few teams play their first eleven. We've also seen more examples of teams winning the double in recent years as the top sides have all the best players and the rest just don't even try to compete in the Cup.

Maybe they should do away with all the nonsense and just start the competition with the quarter finals and limit it to the top four and a couple of wild cards to make up the numbers?
  • Options
    I will probably get shot down for this but given the choice between restoring the FA Cup to it's former glories and downgrading the Champions League to just a straight knock out Cup competition for national champions, I would choose the FA Cup every time.

Don't get the obsession with European football, obviously it's of no concern to us right now but barring the glamour teams ( Real Madrid, Barca etc) there seems to be an inordinate amount of run of the mill games against opposition that hardly gets the pulse racing, especially at UEFA Cup level.

I would rather see a leveler playing field in domestic football over European games amongst clubs I have no interest in. I suppose if you talked to your average armchair Man U follower they would find this opinion incredulous.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

I will probably get shot down for this but given the choice between restoring the FA Cup to it's former glories and downgrading the Champions League to just a straight knock out Cup competition for national champions, I would choose the FA Cup every time.

Don't get the obsession with European football, obviously it's of no concern to us right now but barring the glamour teams ( Real Madrid, Barca etc) there seems to be an inordinate amount of run of the mill games against opposition that hardly gets the pulse racing, especially at UEFA Cup level.

I would rather see a leveler playing field in domestic football over European games amongst clubs I have no interest in. I suppose if you talked to your average armchair Man U follower they would find this opinion incredulous.

I guess the decision is between having Man Utd on fifteen times a season or having them on five times and having to fill the tv schedule with ten other FA Cup games. The CL also provides six midweek games in the autumn, which probably appeals to the TV companies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spot on Oakster.
  • Options
    One benefit of replays is that any monies from them go into a pot which is divided up at the end of the season and given to the non-league clubs which make the 1st round proper. So as a Bromley follower I'm very pleased that Man U v Chelsea will replay as it means more prize money!
  • Options
    Replays can't be scrapped!!

Always remember Welling having about 3-4 replays with Reading many moons ago.
  • Options
    And I went to the one they lost 1-2 at PVR...
  • Options
    I remember in the mid 70`s we seemed to play Oxford United about 4 times in 2 weeks. I know it was the League Cup but either side just couldn`t seem to get a win. Remember a cracking 3.3 with them in that sequence.