Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blatter on Euro 2020 - 'it will lack soul'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21786199

You couldn't make this c*** up if you tried. Because, of course, a football tournament in the desert, in 50 degree heat, where you can't drink and where women are treated like shit WILL have soul.

Comments

• Options
    I am with Sepp on this one, at least all the sober fans and beaten women will be in one place, UEFA already have a tournament spread across 13 city's, its called Champions League
  • Options
    but 13 venues means more greasing of palms will be needed, or does platini pocket the lot?
  • Options
    A lot of this decision from UEFA is political and has absolutely nothing to do with football. It is an EU propaganda stunt to spread it over so many countries and especially to award the final to Turkey which is 98% outside Europe.

There can be no other reason to hold the final in such a place as Istanbul other than to promote Turkish accession to the EU.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong - there is no win here - it's all FAIL. I just can't believe the neck of Blatter (although I guess on past form, this is actually pretty tame from him)
  • Options
    As long as the final is in the "mother country" I can live with it.
    It aint like we stand a chance of our team doing well.
  • Options
    he would know about soul having flogged his soul and his arse many times over.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

A lot of this decision from UEFA is political and has absolutely nothing to do with football. It is an EU propaganda stunt to spread it over so many countries and especially to award the final to Turkey which is 98% outside Europe.

There can be no other reason to hold the final in such a place as Istanbul other than to promote Turkish accession to the EU.

Wow. The paranoia.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

I could almost hear you banging the table from here.
  • Options
    ;)
  • Options
    I agree with Blatter on this, the 13 countries thing really isn't my cup of team. However that is so hypocritical coming from him as stated above because Qatar really is the hot bed of football!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    E-cafc said:

???????

1. What's it got to do with the EU?

2. The majority of Istanbul falls on the 'Europe' side of Turkey (although the actual demarkation between Europe and Asia is artificial in any case)

3. Turkish accession will never happen until the Cyprus problem is resolved. Everyone in the EU knows this.
  • Options
    I think 8 locations with 16 venues would work better.

So London could have The Emirates and Wembley, Paris has Parc de Princes and Stade de France, Munich with Allianz and the Olympic Stadium etc. Etc.

However we will end up with places like Russia, Sweden, Portugal, Ireland and Turkey getting venues instead and the whole thing will be one big mess.
  • Options
    I agree with Sep, I think the Euro 2020 idea is ridiculous. Part of the fun of a big tournament is one nation having the chance it's on the big stage, and that'll be ruined. It's all done just to rake in a bit more cash.
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

E-cafc said:

???????

1. What's it got to do with the EU?

2. The majority of Istanbul falls on the 'Europe' side of Turkey (although the actual demarkation between Europe and Asia is artificial in any case)

3. Turkish accession will never happen until the Cyprus problem is resolved. Everyone in the EU knows this.
    Cone on, It's clearly an EU conspiracy, it involves foreign people after all.
  • Options
    I don't understand the cynicism from many towards Euro 2020. There are dozens of incredible stadiums in Europe that can be made good use of for very little cost.

Each time a tournament comes around, there are inevitably 1-2 stadiums that get built and just end up being white elephants that serve a purpose for a few weeks and that is it.

People moaning for the sake of moaning at UEFA by sounds of it to me.
  • Options
    I went to England v Brazil in Doha in 2009

Weirdest atmosphere at a football match ever, 50,000 blokes either chatting or walking about. I don't think any of them bothered with the game, even the 500 or so England fans couldn't be arsed
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I don't understand the cynicism from many towards Euro 2020. There are dozens of incredible stadiums in Europe that can be made good use of for very little cost.

Each time a tournament comes around, there are inevitably 1-2 stadiums that get built and just end up being white elephants that serve a purpose for a few weeks and that is it.

People moaning for the sake of moaning at UEFA by sounds of it to me.

I agree.

I went to Euro 08 in Innsbruck. The night before, we stayed in Munich. You'd never have guessed right, which one was actually a Euro host.

And this from Blatter, responsible for the crime which is qatar2022, not to mention Russia 2018. As Bill Bryson would say, die soon.
  • Options
    Are Ryanair a main sponsor?
  • Options
    Remember how we had to put up with people moaning about the cost of the London Olympics for seven years? And that was bid for in relatively affluent times. Imagine the hoo-haa if any country in Europe were to start spending millions on "a few football" matches ( as the unbelievers would describe it ). I think it is a sensible, hopefully temporary, solution to a current problem. The drawback will be when Wembley is hosting Germany v Czech Rep, while the Allianz is hosting England v Norway, then we will all be getting our knickers in a twist about it ( including me ).
  • Options
    Welcome to the future everybody. At least we know that there will be one aresole there.