Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashley Barnes banned for seven games...

...for allegedly tripping the referee: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21804556

Seems very harsh?

Comments

• Options
    I think he got off lightly.
  • Options
    Utterly moronic thing to do considering they've got so many forwards out. Was always going to be a lengthy ban when you touch a referee....
  • Options
    Stupid thing to even try and do...Poyet seemed to agree with the decision so maybe there was proof he did it,
  • Options

Stupid thing to even try and do...Poyet seemed to agree with the decision so maybe there was proof he did it,

They had an alternate shot of it on late kick off so there is proof. Didn't look to bad but he did definitely try to trip the ref up.
  • Options
    Spankie said:

Utterly moronic thing to do considering they've got so many forwards out. Was always going to be a lengthy ban when you touch a referee....

Unless you're Llera.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    He thought nobody would notice but didn't somebody catch this on their phone. I can imagine it would be tempting if the ref is p***ing you off. 'Sorry Ref - accident'!
  • Options

He thought nobody would notice but didn't somebody catch this on their phone. I can imagine it would be tempting if the ref is p***ing you off. 'Sorry Ref - accident'!

Well the referee spotted it at the time, and sent him off straight away, so was clear that it had been deliberate and not an accident. There were no other players near the incident, nor the ball, so it couldn't be written off as an accidental clash!
  • Options
    edited March 2013

They had an alternate shot of it on late kick off so there is proof. Didn't look to bad but he did definitely try to trip the ref up.
    Fair enough...for once it was a sign of an official standing up for himself from the "dissent"

We want to see respect in the game but I think officials do let an awful lot of stick go.

Particulary in the Premier league - once you let players get away with abuse they won't stop.

I sometime wonder if one of our players would get away with the stuff Cole/Rooney etc do in the refs face?