Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mystery man wins £90,000 on 14-match football accumulator from a bet of just 15p

Thought it might be Nathan but he doesn't live in Swindon
A MYSTERY punter defied odds of 600,000-1 to scoop nearly £90,000 - on a 15p BET.
The unnamed man, a regular at his local Coral betting shop, placed the 14-match accumulator on Saturday’s football fixtures.
And the bet came in after Tom Shaw, of Cambridge United, scored the winner for his side against Woking with just 17 seconds left on the clock.
But the mystery winner is yet to return to collect his prize - and may not even know he has won.
The man, from Swindon, Wilts., is said to put on three similar bets every week - never spending more than 50p in total - in the hope of one big win.
He defied odds of nearly 600,000-1 to scoop the prize, predicting the correct results in games spanning the Football League and Blue Square Bet Premier.
He correctly predicted that Charlton would beat Huddersfield, Burton Albion beat Cheltenham and Sheffield United would draw with MK Dons.
He won a whopping £89,919.39 on his predicted guesses.
David Stevens, spokesman for Coral, said: “This customer places three similar bets each week, never staking more than 50p in total, but he may not know he has won this massive prize yet as he always comes back to the shop for staff to check, so when he next comes in he is in for a fantastic surprise.
“It was an amazing piece of tipping to get all 14 outcomes correct, at odds of almost 600,000-1, and it just goes to show that you don’t have to bet big money to win big money.”

Comments

• Options
    Who bets 15p FFS !! Lucky git !
  • Options
    must be a nutter if he bet on us.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

must be a nutter if he bet on us.

Playing away
  • Options
    Absolute waffle made up by a bookies PR department.

Funny how these stories you hear are always about a 'mystery punter'.
  • Options
    should have put a tenner on it...
  • Options
    Addicted said:

should have put a tenner on it...

They usually have payout limits, probably 250k or 500k.

• Options
    I won £600 on a 5p bet at 12,000-1 in 1991 (15 matches).....had just turned 18.
  • Options
    All large firms now have a minimum £1 million limit.
  • Options
    I once did a £2.00 17 way accumulator on Wimbledon tennis.

I won £140 :-(
  • Options

my dad only bets a few pence on horse racing. Just so he can do it often. He only does it for thrill of being "right" when they do win rather than chasing any imaginary jackpot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bet he regrets not doing a pound would of had £600,000
  • Options
    It wasn't me!
  • Options

my dad only bets a few pence on horse racing. Just so he can do it often. He only does it for thrill of being "right" when they do win rather than chasing any imaginary jackpot.
    I should probably take a leaf out of his book Kent. Wouldn't waste so much money!
  • Options
    Probably they are a few quid down and want to get a few more to bet on the coupons.Paddy Power also had some one win big for a small stake!!
  • Options
    I'm guessing his system is to pick a few games that are more likely to go either way and alter those and keep the other bets the same. Does that lower the odds significantly when viewed as a whole?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Last year at Cheltenham one of Nicky Henderson's 'lads' had a £50 accumulator on 5 of Henderson's horses. The last one to run, Riverside Theatre, got up to win on the line winning £1,000,000 for the punter, the bookies' maximum payout. The 'lad' now has his own training yard in Kentucky. If Riverside had not quite made it, he would have won zero ... such is the joy and potential despair of punting on the ponies ..
  • Options
    I know a guy that instead of putting a pound on the lottery every week puts a quid on every single game in the prem being a draw haha
  • Options

Absolute waffle made up by a bookies PR department.

Funny how these stories you hear are always about a 'mystery punter'.

This
  • Options
    Why would you put 15p on?! Utter nonsense.
  • Options

Why would you put 15p on?! Utter nonsense.

because you can win 90k with 15p

I've done a poundsworth of various small accumulators before.... not unimaginable....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    "The unnamed man, a regular at his local Coral betting shop..."
    In the light of the above extract, "Mystery man wastes his whole life down the bookies" would have been a more accurate title.
    With the Coral's spokesman saying "We rely upon suckers like this to keep making the massive profits our shareholders demand."