Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football fans/Rugby fans

I know this subject has been done to death in the past but what a comparison between the incredible atmosphere and the joy on the faces of the crowd at the Millennium stadium yesterday, and the ugliness that was seen at the Valley.

Comments

• Options

I know this subject has been done to death in the past but what a comparison between the incredible atmosphere and the joy on the faces of the crowd at the Millennium stadium yesterday, and the ugliness that was seen at the Valley.

What ugliness? Except for 1 or 2 idiots. I'm sure not everyone who goes to watch rugby is a saint.
  • Options

What ugliness? Except for 1 or 2 idiots. I'm sure not everyone who goes to watch rugby is a saint.
    Fans don't have to be segregated, no riots, no racial abuse, no fans giving opposition fans the w****r gesture etc
  • Options
    What a load of bollox this football fan rugby fan shit is

• Options
    When was the last time there was a riot at Charlton? And oh no heaven forbid someone sticks two fingers up at the opposition fans. I'm sure they went home and cried about it.
  • Options
    I know three banned welsh football fans who attend rugby now during their bans and could t wait to tell me what they were going to do to any England fan giving it the big un next to them in the millennium yesterday
  • Options
    http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/7985199.Rugby_fans_blamed_for_car_park_damage/?ref=eb

Dont believe the hype. Scum in both sports. Football is more popular and has greater attendances so numbers wise gonna have more aggro than egg chasing.

My mate plays rugby and has has more pub fights in a month than i have had in a lifetime.

Plus rugby is shit and attracts weirdos in facepaint. Like Arsenal matches but on on a smaller slightly less middle class scale.

• Options
    Rugby fans spend half their time trying to belittle Football - the true sport of the people in this country, and always will be.
  • Options
    I fucking hate this comparison.
  • Options
    I never saw any ugliness yesterday inside or outside the ground, in fact it was one of the tamest Charlton v Millwall games I have witnessed, even the players eased up with no sending offs or squaring up to each other.
  • Options
    Plus rugby is shit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Rugby fans spend half their time trying to belittle Football - the true sport of the people in this country, and always will be.

As one who loves both sports I'd say it's the other way round.

"Egg chasing" "middle class tossers" etc

• Options

Plus rugby is shit

Yep.
  • Options

This! I like rugby, but can't stand the snobery towards football, which I love!
  • Options
    Boring comparison which shows how small time Rugby is.
  • Options
    Like comparing kerkar to Ronaldo... Just not worth the time of day
  • Options
    It was never meant to be a comparison between the two games! 45 years of watching Charlton says where my allegiance lies. I was just pointing out that the 'fan experience' yesterday was so different
  • Options
    I was at Twickenham last week for the Italy game and that place is crying out for an atmosphere. Wales v England in cardiff is a ridiculous comparison,more hatred there than in most football derbies and a huge police operation in the city centre.
  • Options
    I think a better comparison would be league football versus non-league football. At most non-league games, you can enjoy a beer before or after the game with the opposition's supporters and the banter is good natured.
  • Options
    There was some sort of Cup Final in Rugby Union over the weekend: Sale Sharks vs Harlequins.
    The attendance was 8287. A couple of thousand less than Coventry got for their Div 3 game against Hartlepool. Tells you everything you need to know about the relative merits of football and rugby.
    One is a sport watched by millions upon millions of fans from all walks of life; the other only manages sell-outs to half a dozen international games a year with most of the supporters being ex-players who got their tickets through their local park rugby club.
  • Options
    Id be fckin bored giving high fives and smiles to millwall fans if they scored.
    Wouldnt it be great hearing no one likes us from a drunk bermondsey chav 2 rows behind you.......oh yes please shove the non segregation up rugbys arse
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You swear one more time and i'm going to arrest you.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

cafctom said:

As someone who also loves both sports, I would say as you were. I almost never see anyone of my Facebook friends starting a "football is great, rugby is rubbish" thread, but see it reasonably often the other way around - either referring to the top players wages, the reaction to fouls and refereeing decisions or fan behaviour ( see the post which initiated this thread ). These posts may well then get the kind of reaction you describe from football fans, but that is a response to provocation. For some reason a lot of big fans of rugby resent the worldwide appeal of football.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

cafctom said:

As someone who also loves both sports, I would say as you were. I almost never see anyone of my Facebook friends starting a "football is great, rugby is rubbish" thread, but see it reasonably often the other way around - either referring to the top players wages, the reaction to fouls and refereeing decisions or fan behaviour ( see the post which initiated this thread ). These posts may well then get the kind of reaction you describe from football fans, but that is a response to provocation. For some reason a lot of big fans of rugby resent the worldwide appeal of football.
    Well said.

I don't watch Rugby but there was a game on Sky recently which was on in the background whilst I was doing something else. Seemed like one of the players went down a bit soft and the instant reaction of the commentator was to say "he's gone down like a Soccer player".
  • Options
    Rugby is like footballs annoying ginger cousin