Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rules from other sports that might help football

Whilst watching the rugby at the weekend (and I am a rugger bugger at heart) it amazed me that some rules / technology in other sports isn't used in football.
The video debate on offside/ over the line etc.. has been done to death and everyone has their own opinions on that one re slowing the game down..
However two things in rugby I feel could be used -
1) The advantage rule, the referee can come back after quite a long time to penalise an offending side should advantage not occur. In football you often see an advantage given as one team is attacking but then any advantage is immediatley wasted - I think the referees in football should be allowed to wait say 20-30 seconds for an advantage and come back if one does not occur.

2) The time keeping - how many times on this forum do we have discussions about how much time was added or not. It seems to everyone to be totally ridiculous that no one other than the 4th official knows. In rugby the clock (most grounds have a screen/clock these days) is stopped for any stoppage over a few seconds eg injury, susbstitutions etc.. consequently everybody including the players knows exactly how long until the game finishes, and there is never any questioning of the timekeeping. I think this would be ideal in football and would at least shut Alex Ferguson up every other week.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Moving free kicks (penalties in rugby) 10 yards if there is backchat to the referee
  • Options
    They tried that Len and didnt really work.
  • Options

Whilst watching the rugby at the weekend

That's the point where I stopped reading.
  • Options
    I agree with the clock or maybe say that the ball has to be inplay for 30 minutes a half, that way you can stop/start the clock for everything. I think it has been proved that the ball is only in play for about 60 minutes in each game.

That way the subs can take as long as they like to get off its not going to impact on the time, same with goalies faffing about with goal kicks.
  • Options
    In Gaelic football, if you foul the man when he is kicking the ball, the free kick is given where the ball lands, if its nearer the goal.
  • Options
    Sin bins, powerplays and injury subs please (if a player needs stitches etc. or a bandage a sub can come on for the time they are off, if the player is off for more than 10 minutes it will count as a proper sub and they can't rejoin
  • Options
    Also in Rugby League if the ref is unsure about an incident he can put it on report which is indicated to the crowd, it is then looked at by a panel after the game and appropriate action taken.
  • Options
    I think time wasting is not good to watch and the reason it goes on is because referees always add on less time than is wasted! Refs just estimate the amount of time to add on and it makes sense for the time to be done in the stands.
  • Options
    I quite like the rule in rugby where you can punch crap out of each other and receive the same ban as a footballer would for daring to swear at a camera.
  • Options
    I wonder if a challenge system would work in football (like Cricket and Tennis), 3 chances a game if you feel the referee has made the wrong decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Again in rugby (both codes I think) injuries are treated while the game goes on.
  • Options
    Revert back to the rule where goal kicks are taken from the side the ball goes out of play, or why not let the corners be taken from the side the players choose. Most time wasting revolves around the goal keepers, the Millwall keeper was doing it in the first half.
  • Options

In Gaelic football, if you foul the man when he is kicking the ball, the free kick is given where the ball lands, if its nearer the goal.

and in rugby. I don't think it would work in football, too many players hoofing the ball into the oppo penalty box and then taking a dive (for example). I would like to see goal keepers confined to their own penalty area, as in hockey and a sin bin for 'minor red card offences'. Too many games are ruined through red cards for (sometimes) two petty offences
  • Options
    Not stopping the game every time a player fakes an injury would be a start. Let the physics run straight on as in rugby but get on with the game.

Also I love the rule in rugby that lets you go and get a beer and take it to your seat during the game. So feckin civilised.
  • Options
    A sin bin for 'minor red card offences'. Too many games are ruined through red cards for (sometimes) two petty offences
    I'm sick to death of this line that games are ruined by sendings off. No they're not, they're just changed. This idea that 'everyone wants to see 11 vs 11' is parroted by all and sundry with no thought about the facts.

Yes, teams with 10 men may go more defensive to defend what they've got.
    Yes, weaker teams with a small chance of a win at the start find their chances all but vanish after a sending off.
    But then again, teams with 10 men often galvanise to perform better.
    Or, sometimes stronger teams find they're in for more of a game once they lose a player.

The constant bleating about too many sendings off just exacerbates the problem facing refs which is lack of consistency. At times, they're so desperate to avoid red cards that they'll give a yellow for one offence, but nothing for a worse one, because the player is on a yellow already. This just cannot be right. If it's a sending off, then it's a sending off.

If you want to blame someone for the amount of sendings off, blame the players. They push the boundaries of fair play because they get away with it. They wouldn't so much if they didn't.
  • Options
    There was an incident in a televised game the other week where the ref let the game go on for about five or six seconds ( which is longer than you think ) before calling it back for the free kick. Everyone in the pub thought it was a great bit of refereeing...
  • Options
    What about scrapping drop balls and having a scrum?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The one from ice hockey that allows players to kick the granny out of each other using players called enforcers. That'd be nice......
  • Options
    Make the ball egg shaped.

Have the fans behave like Middle Class Tossers.
  • Options
    What about picking the ball up and running with it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What about picking the ball up and running with it?

It'll never catch on...
  • Options
    Extend the goal posts above the cross bar on either side?
  • Options
    I think the only thing that would work is the sin-binning.then again, what chance have you of change when you've got a wanker like Blatter at the top.
  • Options
    Giving points for kicking the ball over the crossbar might help us.
  • Options
    Well Fuller would have got us a point on saturday.
  • Options
    Anyone subbed off has to leave the pitch with the "flaming toilet roll".
  • Options
    In conkers, the conker being hit must be perfectly stationary. Obviously, if the football had to be perfectly stationary before it was kicked, that might mean that some of our players could actually make proper contact with it occassionally.
  • Options
    In my opinion you deserve a sensible answer, you make some very good points. The one I envy in Rugby is the acceptance that the Referees decision is not questioned, and I hate most of the Referees we get with a passion, but as I say to my grandson ' have you ever seen the Referee change his mind when you have given him lip ? I would like us to investigate how you can have four officials around the pitch, and all of them miss a foul such as in the Wigan game on Sunday. With all the money that floods into the game, there is still so much that wants sorting out.
  • Options
    what about the challenge system in tennis could allow teams 2 incorrect challenges per game max. However i think we can all agree video technology needs to be brought in asap
  • Options

what about the challenge system in tennis could allow teams 2 incorrect challenges per game max. However i think we can all agree video technology needs to be brought in asap

I'm convinced such a system could work, but maybe allow one video challenge per team per game. The manager signals to the referee when he wants to challenge, and the referee stops the play immediately to review the decision. A penalty ordered for a scurrilous appeal (e.g. if a manager appealed when the opposition were clean through on goal when no foul had been committed).

This way, if a team thought a key decision (penalty, disallowed goal, sending off) had gone against them, they'd have the chance to right it there and then.