Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Live - Charlie Wright, any questions

Charlie Wright is coming in on the day of the Bolton game, any questions?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Charlie it was good the way you used to talk to the fans during the game and still pull off great saves , I suppose if a keeper did that nowadays he would get a fine. Always enjoyed watching you play.
  • Options
    Yeah, why did he get rid of his cafe in Greenwich, done a blinding breakfast and I've been in there when he was giving it to scumwall supporters.
  • Options
    Great goalie Charlie.

Ask him how a Glaswegian (which he is) managed to play for Hong Kong.
  • Options
    How do you catch a ball that is coming towards you low on the ground? :)
  • Options
    What would he serve for a "Veggie breakfast ?".
    ;-)
  • Options
    Great memories of Charlie. Who does he think have been Charlton's best 1, 2 and 3 keepers since his time?
  • Options
    Does he remember his penalty save away at Oxford? I was a lad behind his goal and shouted remember Hong Kong. He turned around and smiled then made a great save from the spot which earned us a draw that day. Great bloke, used to throw sweets to the covered end at the start and half time. Wish him well.
  • Options
    Sir Charlie Wright ...... the first player that I knew to be called Sir, by the Covered End crowd.

On his day he could perform miracles, unbeatable in goal. But we won't mention that game at home to Ipswich in '68, will we?

One of my heroes when I was growing up.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    A very good 'keeper and in my personal top 4 or 5 from 50 years of following Charlton.

With due respect to the recently deceased Wakeham and Jones both discussed on here not so long ago, Charlie was a cut above and far more reliable in general. Hence his howlers, such as the one Oggy mentions where he let a soft goal in through his legs, remain in the memory as they were rare.

I didn't see Willie Duff but Charlie was almost certainly the best 'keeper since Bartram when he played. The only 'keepers since his time, in my opinion anyway, who could be discussed in the same breath are Johns, Bolder, Kiely and perhaps Carson.

I'd like to know why he left us for Bolton when he did given that he later returned to the area and ran the aforementioned Cafe.
  • Options
    I dropped a pound coin in his Greenwich cafe and couldn't find it. Can you ask him if anyone handed it in ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I dropped a pound coin in his Greenwich cafe and couldn't find it. Can you ask him if anyone handed it in ?

I kept it.

Finders keepers :-)
  • Options
    Good fry up though Len.
  • Options
    Charlie is dropping in this Saturday before the Bolton game
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ask him if he remembers this song Pete

'Aye aye aye aye...... Charlie is better than Yashin, Matt Tees is better than Eusabio and Millwall are in for thrashing'

To all the youngsters reading this we were as deluded in the 60's / 70's as we are now thinking we could beat the SPANNERS comfortably :-( One day though.....one day!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

'Aye aye aye aye...... Charlie is better than Yashin, Matt Tees is better than Eusabio and Millwall are in for thrashing'

How could he forget it?
  • Options

RedChaser said:

How could he forget it?
    He might not have heard it as we weren't exactly filling the ground up in those days :-D
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

How could he forget it?
    He might not have heard it as we weren't exactly filling the ground up in those days :-D
    Echoes aound the Valley
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

A very good 'keeper and in my personal top 4 or 5 from 50 years of following Charlton.

With due respect to the recently deceased Wakeham and Jones both discussed on here not so long ago, Charlie was a cut above and far more reliable in general. Hence his howlers, such as the one Oggy mentions where he let a soft goal in through his legs, remain in the memory as they were rare.

I didn't see Willie Duff but Charlie was almost certainly the best 'keeper since Bartram when he played. The only 'keepers since his time, in my opinion anyway, who could be discussed in the same breath are Johns, Bolder, Kiely and perhaps Carson.

I'd like to know why he left us for Bolton when he did given that he later returned to the area and ran the aforementioned Cafe.

Glad this is cleared up as a kid letting any goals in through the legs was always called doing a Charlie.

• Options
    When he joined Bolton did he expect them to do as well as they did (3rd. Div'n Champions) and how did he feel about beating us three times during '72/73, i.e 2 league matches and one F.A Cup game (after a draw at The Valley)? Talking of which, does he remember the penalty which Phil Warman missed but was re-taken because he was adjudged to have moved early: Bob Curtis knocking the second one in?
  • Options
    The game against Ipswich was the 1st Charlton match I attended. Good ol Charlie letting ball through his legs. I use to watch Charlton one week and Gillingham the next as did a few other school mates from North Kent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Old hero of mine. He nearly always came out on top of a one on one with a forward diving at their feet. Great memories. Ask him about the incident at the old Den when he elbowed former team mate Gordon Bolland in the gut and Bolland went down like a sack of spuds. I think it was from a corner they had. Great bloke.
  • Options
    Some cracking stories from Charlie today...