Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oz in disarray - what a shame !

Not only do they have Cummins in surgery with a broken back,then they dropped 4 players because they hadnt done their homework in time, now Starc - possibly their best bowler (and maybe batsman on this tour of India) is now to have an ankle operation that could keep him out of The Ashes.

Shame !

Comments

• Brilliant isn't it!

There's a part of me that is disappointed as I would prefer to beat them when they are at full strength. However a nice 5-0 win will quickly make me forget those thoughts!
  • I was looking forward to seeing Starc bowl in England (not) this summer, with the Duke ball I suspected he could get a bit of swing if conditions were right.

But Pattinson is their best bowler - he has a yard or two of extra pace and along with Siddle and Starc that is the making of a decent pace attack. I was/am hoping that Xavier Doherty will suddenly discover a burst of form against India and get selected for the Ashes team...
  • I was looking forward to seeing Starc bowl in England (not) this summer, with the Duke ball I suspected he could get a bit of swing if conditions were right.

But Pattinson is their best bowler - he has a yard or two of extra pace and along with Siddle and Starc that is the making of a decent pace attack. I was/am hoping that Xavier Doherty will suddenly discover a burst of form against India and get selected for the Ashes team...

Lol , yes - i know where you're going there. Although their problem is they dont have a spin bowler who is any worse,sorry,better than XD.
  • Brilliant isn't it!

There's a part of me that is disappointed as I would prefer to beat them when they are at full strength. However a nice 5-0 win will quickly make me forget those thoughts!

We'll only win 4-0, the first test will be a draw, we can't win the first test of a series at the moment.
  • Is Clarke injured as well? He dropped down the order
  • McBobbin said:

Is Clarke injured as well? He dropped down the order

He has a perennial back problem which flares up from time-to-time (i know the feeling) - and is doubtful for last test v India - would imagine it would be doubtful if he were to play 5 tests v us.
  • McBobbin said:

Is Clarke injured as well? He dropped down the order

A long standing back injury flared up - he missed some of the fielding on day four and there was some doubt as to whether he'd bat and it's possible that that he'll miss the fourth Test.

• Sure i read a couple of weeks back that their cricket board were lobbying the government to try and get a Pakistani spin bowler fast-tracked through the system so he could get an Aussie passport in time for the Ashes. They are a shambles.
  • Sure i read a couple of weeks back that their cricket board were lobbying the government to try and get a Pakistani spin bowler fast-tracked through the system so he could get an Aussie passport in time for the Ashes. They are a shambles.

Yes, that was true, this guy had only played one game for Queensland and they wanted to fast track him - a bit like us when we were scratching around for fast bowlers when the Windies were blackwashing us.
  • Must admit , cant wait for the Ashes to start - just wish i had a ticket for Oval or Lords. /ho hum.
  • Sponsored links:

• He, Fawad Ahmed, has been granted an Australian visa, and is being fast-tracked for Australian citizenship, but he's 31...
  • Visions also of Imran Tahir - and SA have now disposed of him.
  • Is he any good?
  • Is he any good?

Chhose for yourself...http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/240609.html
    Personally i wouldnt call a bowling average over 30 anything special !!
  • This might be an interesting article for people interested in OZ cricket and their way forward...
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/622727.html
  • Is he any good?

He averages 32 in FC cricket playing for Victoria. So decent but he's only played 11 games at what is a high standard so there's not much to go on. At his age if he doesn't get citizenship soon, it'll be too late.

The question is though, is he better than what they already have? It wouldn't be hard to be a better bowler than Doherty (current average 87). Lyon who averages 32 in Tests, but is comparatively young is the wisest choice, plus he leads the post match singing of Under the Southern Cross on the rare occasions that they actually win a game. Another option is to work on Steve Smith's bowling, he can certainly bat and was once considered to be a potential replacement for Shane Warne but his few Test wickets have been few and far between and have come at 70 runs each.

• Is he any good?

He averages 32 in FC cricket playing for Victoria. So decent but he's only played 11 games at what is a high standard so there's not much to go on. At his age if he doesn't get citizenship soon, it'll be too late.

The question is though, is he better than what they already have? It wouldn't be hard to be a better bowler than Doherty (current average 87). Lyon who averages 32 in Tests, but is comparatively young is the wisest choice, plus he leads the post match singing of Under the Southern Cross on the rare occasions that they actually win a game. Another option is to work on Steve Smith's bowling, he can certainly bat and was once considered to be a potential replacement for Shane Warne but his few Test wickets have been few and far between and have come at 70 runs each.

Steve Smith is a very mediocre bowler, someone to fill in a few overs in ODIs and T20 at most. Looking back, they might as well have stuck with Nathan Hauritz, who's been as good as any of their post Warne spinners, but got (unfairly) dumped.
  • I was drawing up a mental list of post Mcgrath/warne bowler. OK, those two were probably in the top 3 best fast and spin bowlers of all time so it might be unfiar to compare... but the spinners are Beer, Hauritz, X-doh!, Lyon, Smith, Casson, the quicks include siddle, johnson, starc, cummins, hilfenhaus, bollinger, henriques... how many of those are genuinely world class? In the same time we've had two world class spinners and at least as many quicks. The ashes are going to be a laugh, as long as we prepare properly this time
  • You forgot Jason Krejza in the spinners dept (easily forgettable, i know), and also PAttinson in the quicks - who is going to be a very good bowler. TBH, any side that has potentially Cummins,Pattinson and Starc as theie front 3 bowlers in English conditions is always going to be a handfall - coz at least 3 out of those 5 tests are going to won without the significant use of a spinner.However, their batting is a total shambles right now- probably the worst batting line-up i've seen from an Oz team in my lifetime.
  • It won't matter how good thier bowlers are, the batting isn't good enough to get a worthwhile score they can bowl at.
    That said the weather in this country scores a lot of draws so I'm going for a 1-0 hammering of the Aussie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah, yes, how could I include Casson and not Krejza? Might as well throw in Bryce Mcgain. I reckon siddle is a handful as well. Bit of Merv Hughes about him as otehrs have pointed out... but as you and CK points out, their batting is shambolic. If Clarke's back injury flares up, they really have nobody who can reliably step up. I can't see England losing the series, and that would normally be a foolish statement agains the Aussies.
  • I hate Siddle. That alone tells you he's reasonably useful - I can't hate Johnson, Doherty, Doug the Rug etc because they're shit. Still, I like the Aussies having Siddle in their side - without him, I don't think there's anyone (other than Clarke - who is a prick, but nowhere near as much of one as Ponting was) who I feel genuine dislike for. They're a sad, sad side at the moment. Now watch them come over here on the back of no form, then put some county to the sword in a three day game and take us apart in the first bloody test... :(
  • I hate Siddle. That alone tells you he's reasonably useful - I can't hate Johnson, Doherty, Doug the Rug etc because they're shit. Still, I like the Aussies having Siddle in their side - without him, I don't think there's anyone (other than Clarke - who is a prick, but nowhere near as much of one as Ponting was) who I feel genuine dislike for. They're a sad, sad side at the moment. Now watch them come over here on the back of no form, then put some county to the sword in a three day game and take us apart in the first bloody test... :(

I see what you mean. It's hard to genuinely hate this Aussie team.. laugh at them, almost pity them... but they don't have people like ponting, waugh, Mcgrath who genuinely made my blood boil with their arrogance. I don't have a problem with Siddle, and I don't dislike Clarke any more... his team mates do all the disliking for me.
  • Forgot about Mcgain. Dont have a problem with Siddle, but the one i do have a problem with is Haddin - such a horrible obnoxious , sly, grin on his chops that needs to be wiped out - with a cricket ball up his nose hopefully. I was in the Hobbis end at Edgbaston in 2009 when he walked past and gave a 'yawn' sign to the crowd - and the crowd (probably the most vociferous , and funny crowd in English cricket, gave him some right stick).
    Johnson will be getting some stick from the BA too no doubt.
    Whats all this about Clarke not being liked by his teammates - is this all to do with the homework debacle.?
  • So its all set up for a monumental English f*ck up then?
  • Forgot about Mcgain. Dont have a problem with Siddle, but the one i do have a problem with is Haddin - such a horrible obnoxious , sly, grin on his chops that needs to be wiped out - with a cricket ball up his nose hopefully. I was in the Hobbis end at Edgbaston in 2009 when he walked past and gave a 'yawn' sign to the crowd - and the crowd (probably the most vociferous , and funny crowd in English cricket, gave him some right stick).
    Whats all this about Clarke not being liked by his teammates - is this all to do with the homework debacle.?

There have been a few instances (though I'm not saying they are definitely true). Apparently Katich strangled him because clarke wanted to leave a function early, and Clarke also set up a team event hat clashed with Hussey's leaving party. He also had issues with Symonds... I realise these guys aren't in the team anymore so this could all be bollocks. Someone also mentioned that Clarke had had a few arguments with Watson in the NSW blues... The homework saga seemed to be an attempt by clarke to assert his authority, rahter than anything else.
  • Siddle has one of those faces you just want to punch
  • Siddle has one of those faces you just want to punch

So does Steve Smith. He looks like someone has ironed Gordon Ramsay's face to use as a mask to go as Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes.

Ooooh yeah - I'd almost forgotten Haddin! He's an arsehole of note. He can also hold a bat as well, so at least there's three of the convicts I can hate this year. If Watson turns up and plays well, he's also a turd - so that'll be four (rubs hands in glee). Smith is definitely a horrible-looking fucker, but he's so shit it doesn't matter.
  • So its all set up for a monumental English f*ck up then?

Effectively.