Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drinking During the Game | Fear & Loathing

I think the latest blog may encapsulate a few feelings of Lifers here. A good read:

http://drinkingduringthegame.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/fear-and-loathing.html

Comments

• Options
    Saw that earlier. The board could do worse than read that and digest.
  • Options
    Its a big day when Dave is deliberating whether to buy or not.
  • Options
    Who writes it ??
  • Options
    Good piece.
  • Options
    What you old bill Nla?
  • Options
    Excellent blog and sums up the current state of the club perfectly in my opinion.
  • Options
    I hope Matt Wright is passing it on to Slater although I suspect MS could and does just cut out the middle man and reads CL himself.
  • Options
    Not a lot to be added to that, IMHO.
  • Options
    nolly said:

What you old bill Nla?

No but his best mate!

Just joking nla!

• Options
    Spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nolly wash your mouth out , i just wondered when someone said dave and was hoping it wernt big dave

As it wouldve pulled the trigger no doubt

Its a great piece and bang on point with the general feeling

Cant help but feel a whole heap of disapointment though as just like momentum can push a club and team on the opposite can spiral and become a real weight of gloom upon the fortunes of the team

Here comes the thunder and lightening watch out for the storm
  • Options
    Listening to snow informer at present Nla
  • Options
    How rude see B your nastiness is spreading 8)

• Options

How rude see B your nastiness is spreading 8)

Evenin' all
  • Options
    See you have lots to answer for Brenda
  • Options
    Said in a such a concise way it really brings home the seriousness of our situation.
  • Options
    should that say North London Nic Nic

Dave will be there next year he is just saying it might not be a season ticket----he really wants to sit with hiis old mates in the North Lower again
  • Options
    Not you an all

Brenda i hope mickey pees up your leg for a year for this

• Options
    Haha! Sorry!

Love it tho. X
  • Options
    I bet you bloody do its evil and karma will bite you on the bum if not mickey will if you wear to much foundation one day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @nth london addick - the biggest mole of all! Gotta love that ting called karma ;o)
  • Options
    Fear and Loathing is an excellent blog article that sums up pretty much how I feel about the club.

I wish with all my soul that miraculously that TJ / MS and (?) realise the game is up, choose to sell at a realistic price to a decent set of owners, who can then help take the club upwards.

We always seem to get extremes at charlton. We had great communication with Murray and Varney to virtually nil or less than the bare minimum with the current lot.

The threadbare state of the team, the pitch, many of the old stalwarts going, the Millwall fiasco, and the lack of communication about plans of the club (or communication about anything) make me feel very uneasy about what is going on at the club. Great, they are currently keeping the club afloat what is the aim ?

Protheroe worked for Nike, went into Umbro and stripped the company bare of all the footballing shirts contracts, which went to Nike, leaving the company an empty shell / brand that was sold as well. It makes me wonder what his purpose at the club is, other than to supervise the club selling lots of Nike stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Mickey wouldn't as he knows who the boss is or else bad things happen like this...

• Options
    Aun I will eat your cat grrr

Mickey and the collar of shame
  • Options
    WSS said:

I think the latest blog may encapsulate a few feelings of Lifers here. A good read:

blocked in china :(
  • Options

WSS said:

blocked in china :(
    Just for all you Chinese addicks........................

Monday, 18 March 2013
    Fear and loathing
    The latest derby humiliation was always going to be hard to take but the organisational calamity from Part-Time Protheroe's beleaguered shrinking management team looks like it might have holed the ship below the waterline. The howls of protest from our fans has been the loudest and most numerous in living memory. The response from the Board has been as minimal so far as we have come to expect.

The promotion gloss has well and truly worn off and we face a nervy month as we seek to avoid a potentially fatal return to League One. I have already said that this season matches the end of the 70's as the worst in my watching memory but it might just surpass that and take the biscuit. Let's consider a few key things...

1) The emotional bond with our owners no longer exists. They are not Charlton fans. Their plan to make a big return on a small investment has had the funding pulled from under it and they are now desperately trying to sell the club on for more than it's worth. They have an arrogant approach to their Customer base and don't see the need to communicate below the bare minimum. The post-match segregation calamity on Saturday being the latest.

2) We are skint. Without the funding in the club, Spanish Tone and the Lawyer are on the hook for the running costs and it's hard to see them continuing to cough up when the lucrative sale gets further and further away. Administration remains a real threat and worse could be a fire sale to the sort of thieves or conmen who have ruined so many other desperate clubs. The sort of scenario Richard Murray fought long and hard to avoid.

3) We are still largely a League One team. Whilst Jiminez and Slater have worked within their budget for this year and enabled Chris Powell to bring in loan replacements for outgoing players, our contracted squad still looks very similar to last year. That looks just about good enough for the Championship but its not going to get us very far.

4) Season ticket value this year has been incredibly poor. Four wins (only one on a Saturday) from 19 Valley matches so far is bottom-of-the-table stuff and won't have queues forming to renew.

5) Chris Powell is not yet the finished article. Whilst I still have confidence in the manager, he hasn't been able to arrest our home form and there are emerging questions about his tactical nous and his motivational abilities. He has plainly failed to use his substitutes properly on far too many occasions and we appear to have no Plan B in matches.

6) The Club's management team appears leader-less. There is a distinct lack of spark at home games around the ground. We look like we are running on auto-pilot and it lacks conviction. Experienced old guarders have been outed and either not replaced or replaced by so-far anonymous faces. Martin Protheroe's appointment is baffling. A company boss who works one day a week and lives miles away? Jiminez and Slater don't appear to be seen at many games unless they are entertaining prospective buyers and neither are hands-on.

7) Season-ticket sales look compromised. Price rises (not unforeseen or unrealistic in the marketplace) come at a tough time for the economy and on the back of the pain of this season. We seem to get this right against the odds each year and our capacity to take punishment and come back for more has been impressive but the noises suggest we will lose a good few thousand to pay-per-match at best and others completely.

So what to do? Clearly a new buyer should receive a lot of goodwill but that could be a way off yet and it's anyone's guess how much money they would bring to invest. Jiminez and Slater will be tested financially and are unlikely to trade us up to a challenging Championship side without deeper pockets. The only other realistic option is a change of manager but that would be expensive and risky, given that Chris Powell is still getting impressive results away from home and clearly hasn't lost the dressing room. All I know is that I won't be shelling out over a grand before the end of the season and, like last year, I will want to see something from the owners if I am not to break 36 years as a season ticket holder. To be really honest, I dont need to see millions spent but I would like some transparency and some communication. I will be there in August but I might be buying my tickets the week before the game.