Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Representative Are Lifers of The Wider Charlton Community?

edited March 2013 in General Charlton
Prompted by the season ticket thread. A very quick survey. It's on my personal Survey Monkey account, so only the first 100 answers will count. I'll post the result later.

Thanks

-----------------

Edit at 19.15 - Thanks very much everyone. I've deleted the link because we've now got our 100 responses. I'll post the results very soon.

Comments

• Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Did
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done.
  • Options
    Dawn.

Sorry, dahn.

I mean dunn.

D'oh!
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Completed!
  • Options
    I wish all surveys were that easy! (I still got the first question wrong)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for your responses - we're half way to our hundred.
  • Options
    done
  • Options
    done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Dude it
  • Options
    Didid.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Prompted by the season ticket thread. A very quick survey. It's on my personal Survey Monkey account, so only the first 100 answers will count. I'll post the result later.

Thanks

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DBP3C83

Done

• Options
    Dunnit
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    done, and all have been away games
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    96 - just four more and I'll close it.
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    done
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    OK, thanks to everyone who responded to the mini survey. We've got 100 responses, the results of which are below. I was interested to see how representative Lifers are of the Charlton fans who attend matches. My hypothesis being that people that log on to here are probably for the most part more obsessive about/loyal to the club than people that don't. In the absence of a definitive measure for obsession/loyalty, I chose attendance at away matches as an indicator (I'm sure you'll argue this one out if you disagree with my thinking). So what does the survey tell us?

So far this season the first 100 respondents to the survey have attended 356 away league matches, so that's roughly 3½ away games for every lifer. We can compare this to the average number of away matches attended by all Charlton fans. So far this season there have been a total of 20,225 spectators watching Charlton away; this averages out at 1,064 per match. Our home attendances average out at 16,967; that's total attendance minus away fans for home matches up to and including Burnley (I couldn't find the away attendance for Millwall).

If we divide the 20,225 by 16,967, that tells us that on average each home fan has attended 1.2 away matches so far this season (assuming of course that it's the same people attending home and away matches). So on this measure, Lifers are not really representative of all Charlton fans. They are almost three times as likely to attend away matches and may therefore be said to be three times more obsessive/loyal/mad (delete as appropriate).

Of course there may be other things going on which is why I asked the second question about proximity to The Valley. Perhaps Lifers are physically more distant from The Valley and therefore use CL to get their fix. This group might also attend a higher proportion of away games. But what if the people on CL are so physically remote (abroad) that they can attend no, or very few, matches? That could skew the figures in the other direction. I've put the figures below and to my mind it seems as if both the long distance UK and the international groups are quite large. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

This little survey might be flawed, but I'm sticking with my hypothesis that Lifers are not truly representative of Charlton fans in general as they are more likely to be loyal to the club. What do you think?
  • Options
    But you only asked 100 out of 2000 lifers! only 5%!!
  • Options
    Do you think it would be that different then?
  • Options
    5% is not a bad sample. I think your hypothesis is very correct although I do not think the questions are necessarily the right ones and to prove the hypothesis you need to ask questions of both groups
  • Options
    Stig, we covered this question in the survey we did last year of 726 lifers.

Feel free to graph if it makes it clearer

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/46272/cl-survey-results-part-2