Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham are coming.

It looks likely that West Ham will be moving into the Olympic Stadium, anybody worried ?

Comments

• Options
    Why ?
  • Options
    Porque?
  • Options
    Only if they start running a Hammer Express service from Eltham
  • Options
    Not really. West Ham already have a very strong 'East End' identity which they will take with them.

I would have been much more worried, long-term, if it went to 'London' Orient.
  • Options
    they'll never fill it, always advertising tickets in the (sub)Standard......even with kid a quid they wouldn't fill it
  • Options

they'll never fill it, always advertising tickets in the (sub)Standard......even with kid a quid they wouldn't fill it

Indeed. They will at first, but once the novelty wears off, there will be plenty of empty seats at their home games.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

It looks likely that West Ham will be moving into the Olympic Stadium, anybody worried ?

Barry Hearn is!

• Options
    Easy access from South London, Wealthy Owners, our poor home form, we appear to be potless, Premiership football, their pitch is green, attractive to newcomers to the game ( team and Stadium ), close to City Airport, available to Scandinavian fans who used to visit us for Premiership football, I'm bored now.
  • Options
    the bigger target area for West Ham will be north Kent, 10 minutes on High Speed from Ebbsfleet, tons of cheap parking, 5 minute walk to the stadium when you get off at Stratford International
  • Options
    and they won the World Cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

the bigger target area for West Ham will be north Kent, 10 minutes on High Speed from Ebbsfleet, tons of cheap parking, 5 minute walk to the stadium when you get off at Stratford International

This is true. 20 mins on the DLR from Woolwich Arsenal as well.
  • Options
    I wonder if the new stadium will help them play the attractive "West Ham way" football which they haven't played for about thirty years....
  • Options
    Rothko is right

I actually think if they price it right they will get 50k every week based on their Essex support but if they dont then expect them to tread on our toes
  • Options
    Was it ever decided on whether they have to keep the running track?
  • Options
    W Ham are in bigger debt than us.
  • Options

Was it ever decided on whether they have to keep the running track?

Retractable seats are being installed, pull them out for football and get seats closer to the pitch, put them away to reveal the running track for athletics.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/21/leyton-orient-olympic-stadium-hearn-essex">guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/21/leyton-orient-olympic-stadium-hearn-essex</a>

Orient on the move as a result?

How on earth we as taxpayers have allowed this to happen is a disgrace and we will probably end up paying yet more to convert the stadium.
  • Options
    Won't be an issue as West Ham will sell out every week to Season Ticket holders so nobody else will be able to get a seat.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Can't see it affecting us in the slighest?!
    So if they get a train from Ebbsfleet then stand on their heads for 5 minutes that will mean...well... nothing.

The stadium will cost them an arm and a leg, and like Arsenal they will have to charge fans a shed load to get in...
    Can't see 60,000 doing that week in week out to watch a mid-table side.
  • Options
    20 mins on the train from chelmsford, jump off, bobs yer uncle. No thanks. I guess it will help draw in new supporters, rather than make people change the allegiance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jarman said:

Can't see it affecting us in the slighest?!
    So if they get a train from Ebbsfleet then stand on their heads for 5 minutes that will mean...well... nothing.

The stadium will cost them an arm and a leg, and like Arsenal they will have to charge fans a shed load to get in...
    Can't see 60,000 doing that week in week out to watch a mid-table side.

I'd be interested to see who actually pays for it, I doubt very much it will be the club.
  • Options
    Do people really think West ham will sell out 60k each week, no chance. Give it a season or 2 for the novelty to wear off and they'll be getting 40-45k tops
  • Options

Do people really think West ham will sell out 60k each week, no chance. Give it a season or 2 for the novelty to wear off and they'll be getting 40-45k tops

That's why the smart thing would be to do a lot of development work south of the river.
  • Options
    such a shame the way these famous old stadiums are being tossed aside without a second thought...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/mar/09/olympic-stadium-west-ham-home

Interesting take on the reasons behind it from David James.

BTW I've seen elsewhere that the figure of £2.5m a year in rent it will cost them won't even cover the upkeep let alone start paying back the principal costs. Why the taxpayer is providing financial assistance to a club in the wealthiest league in the world is truly beyond me other than to stop it looking like a huge white elephant.

It's even worse that it's that lot of all teams...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I don't understand why people turn this into an issue about taxpayer funding.

We needed a stadium for the Olympics. We built one. Now the Olympics have finished, surely there is a responsibility to maximise the returns on the stadium over the long-term. This means leasing it out to the highest bidder.

Any bidder will only bid at the market rate (by definition). If that doesn't cover the maintenance/running costs then so be it. No tenant is going to pay more than they have to!
  • Options

I doubt they'd even get that much on a consistant basis, why would they suddenly (after the novalty has worn off) get bigger crowds than they do now - unless they are doing alot better, they'll obviously be able to give bigger away allocations I guess but that's it

• Options
    i heard we were going to sell the valley and move to upton park.
  • Options

I doubt they'd even get that much on a consistant basis, why would they suddenly (after the novalty has worn off) get bigger crowds than they do now - unless they are doing alot better, they'll obviously be able to give bigger away allocations I guess but that's it

Well quite a few teams that move to shiny new stadiums increase their support. Southampton, Derby, Sunderland, Reading, Swansea, Cardiff, Brighton.
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

I don't understand why people turn this into an issue about taxpayer funding.

We needed a stadium for the Olympics. We built one. Now the Olympics have finished, surely there is a responsibility to maximise the returns on the stadium over the long-term. This means leasing it out to the highest bidder.

Any bidder will only bid at the market rate (by definition). If that doesn't cover the maintenance/running costs then so be it. No tenant is going to pay more than they have to!

Then tell them to piss off and stay at Upton Park.