Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clifford Owen

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone had any info on this former Addick of the 1930s?

Owen was, I believe, a reserve goalkeeper at the Valley during the season that regular #1 Alex Wright tragically died, leading to Sam's arrival.

Any info appreciated. I have the Home and Away book, so have a few instances of him appearing in the FA Cup for Charlton that campaign.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Clifford Lewis Owen, Born Barry 1911, Played 2 FA Cup games 1934/1935. Signed following the tragic death of Alex Wright. Jimmy Seed had a choice between Owen and Sam Bartram, but quickly switched to Bartram after a heavy defeat in the Cup replay at Exeter. Joined Halifax Town May 1935 to the end of the 37/38 Season. Then joined Chester.

Ash, Do you have the Owen's Date Of Birth and Date of when he passed away? Thanks
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I don't - trying to piece together his story at the minute. He played a few shy of 100 times for Barry Town between 1928 and 1931, before moving to Llanelly. How he got from there to the Valley I am unsure - possibly Jimmy Seed's Mid-Rhondda connections, or maybe at a push something to do with George Green, who left Barry for Charlton in August 1934. I think they may have missed playing in the same side by a season though. Owen is in Halifax's top 5 appearance makers ever apparently, thanks for putting us on that path.

While you're there, anything on 'Walter Pulling' at all? Same era.
  • Options
    Nothing on Walter Pulling so far, but if i find anything i will send you a PM. My last post has some updated information on Clifford Owen.
  • Options
    Super, thank you. Interesting to think that if Owen had had a good game at Exeter, the entire history of the club might have played out quite differently!
  • Options
    Sorry to drop in again, but anyone have anything on another goalkeeper, George Harris (1940s)?