Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Closure of BBC Television Centre

edited March 2013 in Not Sports Related
A programme on BBC4 just now talking about the 50 year history of it and our old director,Lord Michael Grade, is wearing his red Charlton socks!

Good man.

Comments

• Options
    Got it taped. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Funny how that place is closing considering I installed 10 sub terainian rat boxes in the grounds only about 5 year ago at some cost!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Funny how that place is closing considering I installed 10 sub terainian rat boxes in the grounds only about 5 year ago at some cost!

Whatever is happening to the building they won't want rats there!

• Options
    True
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

A programme on BBC4 just now talking about the 50 year history of it and our old direc tor,Lord Michael Grade, is wearing his red Charlton socks!

Good man.

There was an article on him in the I newspaper this week he said that the last sports event he had attended was Charlton v blackpool at least he saw a home win.
  • Options
    Nice red socks, but that tie was like Mr Blobby goes to Palarse. Horrible.

Decent programme. Attenborough and Baker were the highlights.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Mr Grade always wears red socks.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

So, the hatred of the BBC does not extend to turning down their money then Rob... ;-)

• Options
    The building is full of asbestos and parts will need to be demolished.

What with that and the listing of the Building, not sure who would want to buy it.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

The building is full of asbestos and parts will need to be demolished.

What with that and the listing of the Building, not sure who would want to buy it.

Stanhope PLC is the answer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will watch this programme on catch up. Only been to the centre once. In the early nineties I was working for a surveyors and we had to go around various rooms and take measurements. As dulls as it sounds! Did get to have a look at the studio used for totp.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

So, the hatred of the BBC does not extend to turning down their money then Rob... ;-)

I was only following orders and trying to get some of me licence fee back!
  • Options
    I went to see Top of the pops there when I was sixteen and also saw the very last episode of Blackadder Go's Forth being made. Before anyone asks, no I didn't meet Jimmy Saville.
  • Options

I went to see Top of the pops there when I was sixteen and also saw the very last episode of Blackadder Go's Forth being made. Before anyone asks, no I didn't meet Jimmy Saville.

But you did see the famous over the top scene. Brilliant!
  • Options
    Stig said:

But you did see the famous over the top scene. Brilliant!
    Yes and no. They did shoot a version of it but I'm not convinced it was exactly the one used in the episode. I know that the effects were added but still think the final cut was shot at another time. It was a great night. Because of it being the last episode to be made. Both Ben Elton and Richard Curtis were there on set and the cast were very interactive with the studio audience. Tony Robinson was very funny. Only misog was Rowan Atkinson who filled time between scenes by sitting on his own quietly reading his script.

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Was it you who wrecked the Blue Peter garden then?

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

It was Les Ferdinand and Dennis Wise rather bizarrely

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/oct/21/1
  • Options
    @SHG - they slowed the original filmed ending down to the final version seen on the broadcast programme, so it's likely that you saw it all being filmed.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

'Oh well. Finally then, Sir Les, we can't let you go without attempting to get to the bottom of the infamous thrashing of the Blue Peter garden. How do you plead?
    Now that was a joke! What happened was I was on a programme and for some reason they got to talking about the vandalism of the Blue Peter garden and they said: "You grew up and went to school around that area, were you involved?" I just said something like "no, there were bigger and badder boys than me around", but they kept on asking me; apparently they were convinced that me and Dennis Wise had done it. So eventually, because it seemed like it was obviously a light-hearted conversation, I jokingly said, "yeah, we helped those guys over the wall." The next day I woke up and there was a tabloid journalist at my door showing me pictures of Percy Thrower crying and telling me they were going to run my admission on their front page! I kept telling them it was a just a joke but they were having none of it. It was ridiculous!'
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/aug/10/smalltalk.sportinterviews
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

BIG_ROB said:

'Oh well. Finally then, Sir Les, we can't let you go without attempting to get to the bottom of the infamous thrashing of the Blue Peter garden. How do you plead?
    Now that was a joke! What happened was I was on a programme and for some reason they got to talking about the vandalism of the Blue Peter garden and they said: "You grew up and went to school around that area, were you involved?" I just said something like "no, there were bigger and badder boys than me around", but they kept on asking me; apparently they were convinced that me and Dennis Wise had done it. So eventually, because it seemed like it was obviously a light-hearted conversation, I jokingly said, "yeah, we helped those guys over the wall." The next day I woke up and there was a tabloid journalist at my door showing me pictures of Percy Thrower crying and telling me they were going to run my admission on their front page! I kept telling them it was a just a joke but they were having none of it. It was ridiculous!'
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/aug/10/smalltalk.sportinterviews
    Well that's no fun

• Sponsored links:

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

No, but I wrecked Helen Skelton's lady garden!
  • Options
    BDL said:

@SHG - they slowed the original filmed ending down to the final version seen on the broadcast programme, so it's likely that you saw it all being filmed.

Thanks BDL. Would be nice to think I had seen that iconic tv moment.
  • Options
    Very sad day for me on Friday, the TVC was such an iconic building, full of memories of working there for 10 years. I was hoping that it would have been turned into a Museum, but sadly no..... Photographed the DG, to the last tea lady, from U2, to Children in need..... Never had an issue with a 'star' or talent as they are called, but the minders and PR people were a bloody nightmare?.
  • Options
    Ken, did you ever meet Delroy Haynes?
  • Options

Very sad day for me on Friday, the TVC was such an iconic building, full of memories of working there for 10 years. I was hoping that it would have been turned into a Museum, but sadly no..... Photographed the DG, to the last tea lady, from U2, to Children in need..... Never had an issue with a 'star' or talent as they are called, but the minders and PR people were a bloody nightmare?.

Never knew you worked at the BBC ;)
  • Options
    Super photos Ken.
  • Options
    i did a survey on all the BBC buildings in the home counties a few years ago. Although the TC building is old the systems and the main services are in good nick mainly due to the engineers that work there. They also have first class routines in place. Up the road where the One Show is its a much newer building but the M+E is falling apart.For some reason most of the guys there were agency and it got agency "care".
  • Options

Never knew you worked at the BBC ;)

i did a survey on all the BBC buildings in the home counties a few years ago. Although the TC building is old the systems and the main services are in good nick mainly due to the engineers that work there. They also have first class routines in place. Up the road where the One Show is its a much newer building but the M+E is falling apart.For some reason most of the guys there were agency and it got agency "care".

You must be the only one on here Dave who does not?

Yes one of the traits of the modern BBC 'outsourcing' , some 'suit' makes a case for selling outside broadcasts, IT, studios etc..... I moved three times when I was at the bbc, from Henry wood, to the new media centre, and one floor above the one studio....the original white city where the DG's office was. During my time there the bbc went from a production company to a broadcast/output company, in that 80 per cent was not made by the bbc on bbc premises. But by generally ex bbc staff, or contracted like Leopard, lighthouse, hatrick etc.......
    No one during my time there found a reason for moving to Salford?..... Now I do not think the TVC was perfect, far from it, but it could have been refurbished, the studios upgraded.( as Wogan mentioned to Grade on Friday, in the live broadcast, did you hear the cheers for Salford....... No!.... nor did I?) Nothing against regional output, but what ever happened to Pebble mill...... remember that, replaced by the Mall box., some soulless building in Brummie land, interviewing some 'c' lister.

'Big Dave...... Is this who you aspire to..... a bloke with a croaky voice?... working in a cupboard?
    Continuity announcers are a funny lot, only met a couple, they are a bit like the 'mysterons', or a bit Cory Gibbs, in a CAFC sense?.... no one has ever met them?.... they exist but only in an abstract sense?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zq4d5Pgww8......
  • Options
    I've met Delroy Ken, in fact I used to work with him on Millennium Radio! I thought he was perfectly suited to that role.
  • Options
    BDL said:

I've met Delroy Ken, in fact I used to work with him on Millennium Radio! I thought he was perfectly suited to that role.

A good face for radio type then Dave?