Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Voice of The Valley 106 - your chance for 15 fame-filled minutes

I'm currently working on this - had some good contributions to date, but still need some more to make the next issue work, so please feel free to chip in. I won't go to print until I am happy with it. Letters especially welcome - editor@votvonline.com - understandably people give their views on Charlton Life these days, but it's not quite the same thing.

Comments

• Options
    Sir,

I am not so good at the writting stiff as I is went to Comprehension sckool and we strugelled a bit wiv joined up stuff.

However, I did learn to read and have been an avid reader of VOTV. If I maybe so bold as to humbly suggest an aspect that is not covered by this site or by the club in any detail is our youth players and games, and also that of our reserves. I would be really interested in reading player profiles and more detailed game reports.

Just a thought if you know someone that goes to games or is able to get in and speak to players.

• Options
    Sorry to be provocative, but is there the need for VOTV right now? I feel it works best in protest 'get off your arse' times.

If TJ fcks with us too much, I would be right behind this. I think we will see new investers this summer. If not, launch it in Sept. Comments?
  • Options
    Its already been re-launched.

Issue 105 came out for the Birmingham game.
  • Options
    What is the assumed word count for any articles?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    kafka said:

Sorry to be provocative, but is there the need for VOTV right now? I feel it works best in protest 'get off your arse' times.

If TJ fcks with us too much, I would be right behind this. I think we will see new investers this summer. If not, launch it in Sept. Comments?

There is always a need for an independent voice... what form and shape it takes in these days of the internet is another matter. People appreciate something like VOTV or TNT to read at the games - I wonder how things will develop online away from kick off time?

• Options
    kafka said:

There is every need right now. The Club is in turmoil, all the best staff have been sacked, PT Prothero can't be arsed to do anything for the fans (if he did we'd have got another 600 Brighton tickets for instance), the owners have no money, we are being hawked about left right and centre, new investment is needed but will it arrive, we are being treated with disdain by the powers that be, season ticket renewal time looms, court cases are galloping over the horizon and to top it off we are not yet safe from relegation. If we wait till 'get off your arse time' arrives it could be too late.
  • Options

kafka said:

There is every need right now. The Club is in turmoil, all the best staff have been sacked, PT Prothero can't be arsed to do anything for the fans (if he did we'd have got another 600 Brighton tickets for instance), the owners have no money, we are being hawked about left right and centre, new investment is needed but will it arrive, we are being treated with disdain by the powers that be, season ticket renewal time looms, court cases are galloping over the horizon and to top it off we are not yet safe from relegation. If we wait till 'get off your arse time' arrives it could be too late.

On that basis there is enough to fill a couple of issues then!
  • Options

kafka said:

Well said.
  • Options
    Think it should have a Ackworth page TBH

• Options

Seconded , subscriptions would rocket.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Seconded , subscriptions would rocket.

Thirded!!!!!!!!
  • Options

kafka said:

I don't think RE will print this Large. It needs a bit of work on it.
  • Options
    There is always a need for the VOTV its the only way us fans know whats going on within the club
  • Options
    I suspect that the problem is that those that want to wrote something substantial would have a blog, and those that just want to write something letter size would just post it on here. The benefit is that on the internet you get instant feedbacck to what you have to say.

However, I would imagine (no disrespect to CL) that the readership in the VOTV is both bigger and move diverse - there are probably a lot of VOTV readers that don't know anything about CL.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Sir,

I am not so good at the writting stiff as I is went to Comprehension sckool and we strugelled a bit wiv joined up stuff.

However, I did learn to read and have been an avid reader of VOTV. If I maybe so bold as to humbly suggest an aspect that is not covered by this site or by the club in any detail is our youth players and games, and also that of our reserves. I would be really interested in reading player profiles and more detailed game reports.

Just a thought if you know someone that goes to games or is able to get in and speak to players.

We don't have a reserve team anymore and all youth games are covered on the OS and in the matchday programme with full match reports.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Sir,

We don't have a reserve team anymore and all youth games are covered on the OS and in the matchday programme with full match reports.
    There is a 'reserve' game against Luton going on as we speak.
  • Options

kafka said:

I think this is extremely offensive to many of the incredibly hard working and valuable staff that remain at the club. I have general issues with a couple of your other assertions but, given that some of those staff read this site, I wonder if you might want to retract that statement?
  • Options
    DRF said:

kafka said:

I think this is extremely offensive to many of the incredibly hard working and valuable staff that remain at the club. I have general issues with a couple of your other assertions but, given that some of those staff read this site, I wonder if you might want to retract that statement?
    I agree with you, DRF, there are good people still there, although I think the lack of experience (or perhaps something else) at the most senior level was evident in the handling of the Millwall situation - nothing to do with me being there one way or another, but I don't imagine Peter Varney or Steve Kavanagh would have left Mick Everett to stand in the firing line or had nothing to say at all on an issue that clearly upset many supporters.
  • Options

DRF said:

kafka said:

I agree with you, DRF, there are good people still there, although I think the lack of experience (or perhaps something else) at the most senior level was evident in the handling of the Millwall situation - nothing to do with me being there one way or another, but I don't imagine Peter Varney or Steve Kavanagh would have left Mick Everett to stand in the firing line or had nothing to say at all on an issue that clearly upset many supporters.
    I would agree with that. And I'm not saying that good people weren't sacked. But to suggest that we have no good people left is hysterical and wrong. Mick Everett for one is still there and I doubt many of us would knock him.
  • Options
    Well actually a lot of people on here have knocked Mick over the Millwall policing.

Very harsh in my opinion but that is what happened.

Mick, Dave Archer, Matt Wright all Charlton fans and all good people. Plenty of others who work there too. I don't think Large was slagging them off, he just worded it badly, IMHO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think Large was slagging them off, he just worded it badly, IMHO.

thank you. Yes, I did word it badly. Of course there are a number of good, loyal staff left and I'd also add to the list above Chris Parkes. I should have said something like a number of good, very experienced staff have been sacked and that their valuable experience and knowledge has been lost which is detrimental to the running of the football club.