Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Britain 'Do A Cyprus' ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    It was Gordon Brown who refused to take us into the euro under a lot of pressure from Tony Blair. Just saying.
  • Options
    Blair whom was leader of the party I mentioned at the time?

Brown was the seller of the Gold.

Both responsible for 2 of arguably the worst economic decisions of all time.

Not interested in arguing in the rights and wrongs of the political parties as I don't really follow/support any of them.

Brown also the man who claimed to have defeated boom and bust!
  • Options
    Neville Chamberlain claimed " peace in our time" so what ?
  • Options
    Back to the original point, having our own currency will save us. No thanks to the Gov's predecessors.

I spend all day making markets in currencies and precious metals to clients, quoting prices etc. Can't really be bothered to argue about them now in my free time!

Have a good evening
  • Options

Where do you rank John Major and Norman Lamont's chucking away of approx £3.5bn in one day on trying to keep the UK in the ERM?
  • Options
    If ever I thought it would get like that my money would be in my mattress at the earliest signs of trouble I see these days why so many of our older generations didn't trust the institutions to look after their money
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    As I said, got hours of ammo to chuck into the mix, but life is too short to bicker on the net! Plus it's a never ending cycle, most of which would bore the masses on here senseless!

For the record never voted in my life. It's never really interested me, may seem puzzling considering the area I work in!

Re major that would definitely make the short list!

• Options

Where do you rank John Major and Norman Lamont's chucking away of approx £3.5bn in one day on trying to keep the UK in the ERM?

3rd worst?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The only gold bars I can muster at the moment are those choccie ones from Mcvities, I know the price fluctuates, but how much are they and apart from Fort Knox where can I buy them? (Seriously) thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    they have vending machines for gold bars in the middle east

you can get them in the UK from bullion dealers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan...holding funds in client accounts would definitely help. The thing to remember is that the £85k level is for all your funds with one institution. If, for example, you have your savings with a bank and monies are deposited with a law firm pending a transaction (property purchase for example) or someone like a "farepak", then all accounts in your name or designated in your name count towards your £85k.

Always worth checking where any firm gold their client funds if you think you may exceed the level.

I'm in Cyprus at the moment. The people are as laid back & friendly as ever, but there's certainly a fear of what's going to happen in the next few years.

It's already noticeable how many businesses have been closed over the last week. Smaller, cash businesses (bars etc) are being starved by worried suppliers who want cash. Larger businesses are also shut as no-one wants to use credit/debit cards.

The levy on accounts hasn't been formally communicated yet. It could be "up to" 40%, so you would hope that they would understand the €99,999/€100k scenario. That said...we don't in the UK when it comes to tax bands!!

Here you will find that a lot of people who were living simple lives will have even that simple life undermined by financial institutions who made disastrous investments...in this case, in Greece.

The foolish thought of taxing the sub-€100k depositors is gone and that at least is a good thing.

• Options

I'm not ranking it but it clearly would have been cheaper to have spent £20k on taking out a contract on George Soros or to have got the spooks to top him for free!

There is a trend though. Lamont, Blair, Brown: all Scots - perhaps it's a long-term plan by the sweaties to undermine the English?

But here's a professional view: Sir Alan Budd, the Treasury's Chief Economic Adviser during the period and later appointed by Gordon Brown to the Monetary Policy Committee, in an economic assessment of Britain's membership of the ERM, has written, "although it was certainly a political disaster, the case can be made that it was an economic triumph and marked the turning point in our macro-economic performance.
  • Options

Back to the original point, having our own currency will save us. No thanks to the Gov's predecessors.

Bizarre comment. The previous government didn't adopt the Euro, so what exactly are you blaming them for (regarding the Euro specifically)?

• Options
    General economic woe. Thinking they'd defeated boom and bust and getting far too overlapped with the euro stuff. I have a Reuters/Bloomberg in front of me but can't be bothered to argue about it.

Too busy chasing the rat race! Have a good day.
  • Options

General economic woe. Thinking they'd defeated boom and bust and getting far too overlapped with the euro stuff. I have a Reuters/Bloomberg in front of me but can't be bothered to argue about it.

Too busy chasing the rat race! Have a good day.

Not sure I understand your point but I'm not financial savvy. Getting overlapped with euro stuff ? I thought that our finances and banking was so intertwined with other nations that regardless of the UK being out of the euro we were effectively tied in with it.
    Wasnt that why UK plc paid vast amounts into the bail out fund ? I have always assumed that is why that although the euro as a currency is a basket case that Sterling is still performing poorly against it. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell me.
  • Options

100K in euros aint super rich

I wasn't referring to the situation in Cyprus GH, although I can see why it looked like I might have been. I was referring to the really super rich in the UK, or Brits who are non-dom anyway.
  • Options
    Don't understand this issue at all or the implications but I would have thought that this is a problem that could grow like topsy. There were reports that there is consideration to do the same thing in other countries such as Spain, Portugal and Italy. My boss is Italian and he told me that is they tried it in Italy there would definitly be mass disruption and even major civil unrest his opinion is that the thrifty i.e. savers should not be penalised for those who were reckless and I agree with him.

As for the UK can't see it myself as we have our own currency thank god but you never know
  • Options
    I'm putting all my money into heroin and crack cocaine. There'll always be a healthy, bouyant market for heroin and crack cocaine.
  • Options

I'm putting all my money into heroin and crack cocaine. There'll always be a healthy, bouyant market for heroin and crack cocaine.

That approach is not to be sniffed at ;0)

• Options

That approach is not to be sniffed at ;0)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Think you need the sack , crack & back thread.

• Options
    Eeeuch