Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

young drivers - telematic 'box' can save on premium

http://www.theaa.com/insurance/telematic-insurance.html

just saw this thought it might help anyone struggling to pay for insurance for younguns

Comments

• Thanks Razil , good to hear about my young lad is coming up to this soon , i'd heard that the Coop do something similar?
  • And Bell, a subsidiary of Admiral.
    But be warned, the terms can mean that if you do late night driving, harsh driving or rapid acceleration and the like it can seriously affect your costs. Reading the policy document becomes even more crucial than ever.
    What I'm not sure about though is what if you took your car for a blast on a track day? How would they know and would it be held against you?
  • I suppose if you can afford the cost, and potential damage to engine and car, racing a road saloon around Brands might cause, you can probably afford regular insurance?
  • Didn't like the terms much as sometimes I drive his car to pick him up from college etc then he drives back as he's still learning. might catch me out and penalize him .Got good policy from Collingwood specifically for learners.
  • www.insurethebox.com is the cheapest and no curfew like most
  • Looked into these when I first passed my test they seem to catch you out in quite a few ways, the more speeding you do even if its just 3mph over your can rise. If you can afford it just insure normally, elephant are cheap I'm 18 with a 1.9 tdi golf and pay 600 a year with them.
  • Looked into these when I first passed my test they seem to catch you out in quite a few ways, the more speeding you do even if its just 3mph over your can rise. If you can afford it just insure normally, elephant are cheap I'm 18 with a 1.9 tdi golf and pay 600 a year with them.

And must have your mums name as policy holder........

• scruffle said:

Looked into these when I first passed my test they seem to catch you out in quite a few ways, the more speeding you do even if its just 3mph over your can rise. If you can afford it just insure normally, elephant are cheap I'm 18 with a 1.9 tdi golf and pay 600 a year with them.

That's called fronting.

The insurance industry is becoming much better at weeding out fronting where the policy holder is not the individual who does the most mileage in the car.

Fronting can have serious financial and legal implications as insurers can refuse to pay out for any claims, or can settle a third-party claim and attempt to recover the cost from the parent as the policyholder.

If the insurer declines a claim, the young driver could be treated as uninsured and could be fined hundreds of pounds and receive six penalty points (an automatic ban for new drivers). They will also face higher insurance costs in the future. If they can actually get anyone to insure them at all.

• I take it that's the reason u don't get given any ncb now on 2nd 3rd or 4th cars or can use your ncb?
    used to be a lot of parents who owned souped up corsa,s n saxo,s, didn't take long for the insurance companies to see through this.
    Got to be so careful these days as checks on mileage ,parked on driveway/garage modifications are all checked now so beware in the event of a claim!
  • scruffle said:

Looked into these when I first passed my test they seem to catch you out in quite a few ways, the more speeding you do even if its just 3mph over your can rise. If you can afford it just insure normally, elephant are cheap I'm 18 with a 1.9 tdi golf and pay 600 a year with them.

Nope my policy with mum and dad added on :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• There is also the Pass + Scheme where people who have just passed their friving tests can get an extra 6 hours tuition with a Pass + registered driving instructor.....

https://www.gov.uk/pass-plus
  • I would hate one in my car. My dad tried to get me one but no thanks. My brothers got one even though I told him not to and he hates his. Not like its forever though I suppose
  • The advice I'd give to young drivers is to get themselves the fastest car possible (preferbly a delorean) and travel back to 1985, pass your test, travel back to the present and there you have it, 28 years experience & no claims.............simple
  • This box is going to be the future for young drivers. When there are enough out there to show a reduction in accidents, eventually the government will make them compulsary. But the savings in insurance will be the biggest factor of all. It is a fact that a lot of young drivers think driving too fast and recklessly shows they are good drivers when the opposite is true. A bit like kids smoking - they think they are looking mature when they are showing how imature they really are. Young male drivers cause a disproportionate amount of accidents and this beats my idea of making them drive pink 500cc cars.
  • It doesnt know my vehicle...what a pile of crap!