Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Film Characters

Comments

• Fat Sam - bugsy malone
  • Del Griffith (John Candy) - Planes, Trains & Automobiles
    Bernard Focker (Dustin Hoffman) - Meet The Fockers
    Linda (Emily Lloyd) - Wish You Were Here
  • Already said but agree with Gunnery Sergeant in FMJ and Clint Eastwood in Fistfull of Dollars. Gary Cooper in High Noon and Bogart in Casablanca (or is that too old timer?)
    Mick Dundee?
  • edited April 2013
    Charles Bronson as Harmonica Man
    Christian Bale as Reznik
    Alan Ford as Brick Top
    Robert Shaw as Quint
    Tim Curry as The Devil
    Sigourney Weaver as Ripley (in the first two films)
    Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade
  • Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade

Humphrey Bogart as Philip Marlowe

Jack Nicholson as Randall MacMurphy
    Michael Caine as Carter
    John Thaw as Jack Regan (more TV than film though)
  • Having just watched The Descendants, I thought the lad, Sid, was an excellent supporting character.

I accept I am largely alone on this, but Dirk Pitt in Sahara. I thought there was a lot of potential for him in the sequels that never materialised.

Zachary Quinto's Spock, especially in the footage shown for Star Trek Into Darkness.

The Dude, because he lives in his own world and I wish I lived there. Walter needs to be there too.

Yoda should be banned from this list on the basis that he now sells mobile phones.

Boadie in Point Break. Surfing was a way of life for him, swear to god!

• Christian Bale as Reznik

I think without a doubt the best portrayal of a character. How he could get so thin is beyond me - unbelievable professionalism/stupidity.
  • I'd like to add Michael Caine as Alfie, the first time I remember seeing that talking straight to camera thing. It's de riguour now, especially in British reaslist sit-coms but I've never seen it done so well.
  • Christian Bale as pretty much anyone to be fair! Dieter Dengler springs to mind too.
  • edited April 2013
    Steve Buscemi's Mr. Pink - Reservoir Dogs
    Harrison Ford as Han Solo - Star Wars/TESB/RotJ
    Kurt Russell as MacReadie - The Thing
    Steve Martin as Dr. Michael Huffufurhh - The Man With Two Brains
    Scatman Crothers as Mr. Halloran - The Shining

Lots of other good ones mentioned. Steve Martin as Navin Johnson from The Jerk made me laugh out loud.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've always thought that Ben Kingsley's portral of Don Logan in Sexy Beast was frankly ridiculous. Totally miscast, and a poor performance of a quite unbelievable character.
  • Michael Clarke Duncan-John Coffey
  • Yeah - Bale managed to do what I thought was impossible, and make Patrick Bateman as good as the book. Bale is a fucking brilliant, brilliant actor. I don't think I've ever seen him give less than an 8 out of 10 performance in anything.
  • Yeah - Bale managed to do what I thought was impossible, and make Patrick Bateman as good as the book. Bale is a fucking brilliant, brilliant actor. I don't think I've ever seen him give less than an 8 out of 10 performance in anything.

Yet there doesn't seem to be a great deal of appreciation for him... Maybe it's 'cos he can be a bit moody, is serious on set and doesn't do press, but that's not done Day Lewis any harm!
  • Christoph Waltz - Hans Landa - Inglorius Basterds
  • yeah compare contrast bateman v dicky eklund and you can see the range in the actor.

Corporal Luis Fernandez in E2V - bicycle kick with a broken arm. stich that!
  • Mr White - Harvey Keitel Reservoir Dogs. "You shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize".
  • I'd go for:
    Treat Williams as Critical Bill in Things to do in Denver where you're dead
    Christopher Walken as Nick in Deer Hunter
    Tom Berenger in Platoon
    Michael Caine (again) in Mona Lisa a right evil turn if I ever saw one
    Robert de Niro in Heat (but not Pacino who over egged it)
    Gene Hackman as Jimmy Doyle in The French Connection
    Clint Eastwood in The Oulaw Josey Wales
    John Wayne in The Searchers

plenty of others but that will be enough for now

Oh for a real nasty piece of work how about Denzil Washington in Training Day

• Oh for a real nasty piece of work how about Denzil Washington in Training Day

actually Denzil Washington full stop is a badass. He was hard as F*** in Book of Eli and Man on Fire
  • Always liked Jean Reno's role as Leon in the film of that name. On a different note, loved Alan Rickman's role in the Sci-fi spoof, Galaxy Quest ( he was good as Severus Snape in the Potter movies too.)
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

Always liked Jean Reno's role as Leon in the film of that name....

Good one.
  • edited April 2013
    cafcfan said:

Always liked Jean Reno's role as Leon in the film of that name. On a different note, loved Alan Rickman's role in the Sci-fi spoof, Galaxy Quest ( he was good as Severus Snape in the Potter movies too.)

Liked AR in Dogma too.

• cafcfan said:

Always liked Jean Reno's role as Leon in the film of that name. On a different note, loved Alan Rickman's role in the Sci-fi spoof, Galaxy Quest ( he was good as Severus Snape in the Potter movies too.)

Great shout!
  • Riviera said:

I've always thought that Ben Kingsley's portral of Don Logan in Sexy Beast was frankly ridiculous. Totally miscast, and a poor performance of a quite unbelievable character.

Thought I was the only one...I actually found myself going red out of embarrasment, a totally ridiculous character.

• Great shout on Jean Reno as Leon terrific movie! Agree about Sexy Beast the performance was too OTT for me. Heres a good one how about Robert Mitchum in the original Cape Fear now there's scary he actually got carried away during filming and nigh on killed Gregory Peck!
  • Glenn Ford in The Big Heat
    Lana Turner in the Postman Always Rings Twice
    Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity
  • Glenn Ford in The Big Heat
    Lana Turner in the Postman Always Rings Twice
    Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity

Brilliant!!! I love those movies top, top post. I might add Robert Walker in Strangers on a Train what do you think Leroy?
  • Great shout on Jean Reno as Leon terrific movie! Agree about Sexy Beast the performance was too OTT for me. Heres a good one how about Robert Mitchum in the original Cape Fear now there's scary he actually got carried away during filming and nigh on killed Gregory Peck!

I like Mitchum in the re-make, "I don't know whether to look at him or read him". To me though DeNiro's Cady is much more scary than Mitchum's.
  • Take your point Stig it's all about opinions but I thought DeNiro's was overacted still liked it though, I just thought Mitchums had more underlying menace. If you read his Biography it's pretty clear that he wouldn't have had too much problem playing that type of role he was a tough bastard in real life. Someone said "Bob MItchum doesn't start many fights but he sure as hell finishes a lot"
  • Eddie Murphy's Billie Ray Valentine from Trading Places. And the two big dudes in the cell with him. "Yeah!"