Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How to reduce the undeserved sacking of managers

Problem is whoever owns a football club has the authority to do what they want with their business. You could just say fair enough.

The other problem is that the guys in charge probably, in a few notable cases, dont know enough about football and can't see the bigger picture of the decision to relieve a man of his duties when from the fans and pundits perspective it appears to be unjustified for obvious reasons why.

Would be better to change business laws of running a football club with the following.

1. Every club has to employ a small board of 5 highly regarded loyal FANS of the club.

2. The chairman or whoever authorises the decision for a sacking has to pass the idea onto the 5 or so fans for them to either collectively decline or agree on, which could mirror say, when the president of the U.S has to pass a law through congress.

3. The fans contracts cannot be terminated by the owners.

4. The fans must have a highly in depth knowledge of football and proof of genuine care of the club (obviously). With a lot of other things and laws about their role at the club to keep things in tact.

My idea has too many holes in it for it to be taken seriously but I think something along these lines should be done in order for the protection of football itself as the sackings in the premier league this season have just been f""king ridiculous.

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:

Problem is whoever owns a football club has the authority to do what they want with their business. You could just say fair enough.

The other problem is that the guys in charge probably, in a few notable cases, dont know enough about football and can't see the bigger picture of the decision to relieve a man of his duties when from the fans and pundits perspective it appears to be unjustified for obvious reasons why.

Would be better to change business laws of running a football club with the following.

1. Every club has to employ a small board of 5 highly regarded loyal FANS of the club.

2. The chairman or whoever authorises the decision for a sacking has to pass the idea onto the 5 or so fans for them to either collectively decline or agree on, which could mirror say, when the president of the U.S has to pass a law through congress.

3. The fans contracts cannot be terminated by the owners.

4. The fans must have a highly in depth knowledge of football and proof of genuine care of the club (obviously). With a lot of other things and laws about their role at the club to keep things in tact.

My idea has too many holes in it for it to be taken seriously but I think something along these lines should be done in order for the protection of football itself as the sackings in the premier league this season have just been f""king ridiculous.

Championship?

• Options
    Both
  • Options
    Unfortunately the financial rewards of staying in the premiership mean that it's worth the risk of defenestrating managers in struggling teams and hoping that an impact manager can do enough to preserve the gravy train for another season.

You'd think though that most owners would look at those clubs at the other end of the division and note that Ferguson and Wenger have been at Man U and Arsenal for quite a few years. Everton have retained Moyes and the continuity and stability he offers has kept them competitive albeit only on a once in every two seasons basis while statistically most clubs that sack their manager actually get worse not better.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    'Undeserved' or not, every manager who takes a job at any club knows that the risk of the sack is enormous. Think Bomber Command Crews during WW2. The employment equivalent of caveat emptor is the name of the game for football club managers. Yes, some sackings appear to be undeserved and ridiculous but I have no real beef against any owner who sacks a manager. It is not the slaughter of the innocents but the firing of a man who is fully aware of the possibilities when he takes the job. As to fans having a say .. no .. there will be almost as many opinions and theories as faces in the stand. And who decides if a fan has 'a highly in depth knowledge of the game'. Your heart is in the right place Dave21 but so far as I am concerned your scheme(s) would be unworkable.
  • Options

statistically most clubs that sack their manager actually get worse not better.

Evidence
  • Options
    Should only be allowed to change managers during transfer windows.
  • Options
    Interesting idea but do you not think some fans are a problem as well? I've even noticed it creeping into our club lately - fans screaming for the manager to get sacked often with no next move after that, or new manager ready to step in.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Evidence
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/winning-promotion-usually-leads-to-knife-in-the-back-for-managers-8537073.html

"Dr Sue Bridgewater of the Warwick Business School, who works with the League Managers’ Association, said research indicates there is often an immediate upturn in results but that usually lasts no more than a dozen games and the team frequently then perform worse than before the management change."

• Options
    Its up to the owners, its their money at the end of the day. Let them do what they want.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Who gets to say whether it IS deserved or not though? We've had fans on her calling for one manager or another to be sacked while another set want him to stay. The owner is the one paying the manager money, ultimately his is the only opinion that truly counts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dave2l said:

Evidence
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/winning-promotion-usually-leads-to-knife-in-the-back-for-managers-8537073.html

"Dr Sue Bridgewater of the Warwick Business School, who works with the League Managers’ Association, said research indicates there is often an immediate upturn in results but that usually lasts no more than a dozen games and the team frequently then perform worse than before the management change."

I was ment to say 'that's evidence' which helps my point.

Interesting trend though
  • Options
    Are you being serious Dave or on another wind up a la the 'if' thread yesterday. Fans being employed by a board to tell the money men what they can and can't do.......oh hang on its April Fools day tomorrow............I'm out.
  • Options

That would be a fascinating idea, though I suppose nearly every club in the bottom half of each division would swap managers in January.
  • Options

Paul Ince had that idea.

Not sure it would work..whilst some see to be dumped in a harsh way there are others who do deserve to be sacked.

ofcourse it seems many boards don't get the right appointment in the first place.
  • Options
    If you own something, you do as you like with it. Doubt anybody would want to own if they couldn't.
  • Options
    I think what the newbie said is right, who is to say if a sacking is underserved as often it's not just on results but other stuff going on behind the scenes (Dowie)

There are a number of boards that might have sacked Powell this season and that would have been a bonkers move. But thankfully our board have been fairly level headed so far and had they done it it would have been post millwall when most people had the hump. But despite the numerous unfounded whispering on here I'm pretty convinced Powell will last the season out...

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Re the fans on the boards ideas, great ideas and may have worked a generation or two ago when the owners were fans or could at least relate to fans. But sadly now the people who seem to have the serious money required to own clubs dont strike me to be the sort of people who would happily pump their cash into something to be told what to do by a bunch of oiks.

They probably didn't make their money by democratically listening to others and cant see anyone other than genuine fans of clubs (which seem increasingly rare) adopting such a system without it merely being lip service and flimsy appeasement of the fanbase.

Also i think it all comes down to money nowdays. I dont think that our board and probably many outside the huge clubs at the top of the premiership have done a great deal wrong other than not have the requisite funds to finance the clubs they have taken on. Us for example...I dont think many of us had much if any criticism for the new owners and what we saw on the pitch until it became apparent they dont have a pot to piss in since the money disappeared in the summer. Everything negative,or perceived as negative since is just compounded by that fact.

Jim Davidson and Michael Grade could take over tomorrow but if they didnt have the substantial money to service the debt and spend on proving the players i doubt much if anything would change on the pitch.

I think the one thing that has stopped thermos flasks flying at the board room windows at our place is the fact that the board have had the nous not to sack Powell as they probably know in a pretty bleak period that his appointment and continued presence is one of the very few things that has appeased fans enough to keep us from venting beyond message boards. Very shrewd appointment. If he gets sacked or walks I expect the board realise they would be vulnerable to much more voiciferous criticism.
  • Options
    I don't think any of the mgrs that have been sacked bar Di mateo and Steve keen have any right to moan

The others have been fired when their teams look doomed

McDermott (maybe) but look where they are

• Options
    Portsmouth supporters trust now own their club according to ssn, interestingly relevant.
  • Options

I don't think any of the mgrs that have been sacked bar Di mateo and Steve keen have any right to moan

Adkins?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Up to the owners if they want to make decisions about their clubs. You just have to listen to 5 minutes of football phone ins to realise most fans are no less reactionary.
  • Options
    Adkins yes but are the club in a better postition since and who knows what goes on behind the scenes
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Adkins?
    Didn't Steve kean resign?

• Options
    Can work the other way too re: sackings. I was desperate for Charlton to sack Parkinson but they showed too much loyalty there IMO.
  • Options
    I think there are other categories of workers who I'd sooner have protection from unfair dismissal than multimillionaire Premier League managers !
  • Options
    Think a window is the only way of governing it consistently. But then where do you draw the line? Assistants, physios, etc...