Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Neil Warnock - director of football?

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

Anyone read the Leon Cort interview in the Bolton programme?

No thanks Neil.

What did it say?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Yeah, I mean when was the last time he put on a substitute who went and won us a game?

I was being slightly sarcastic, but I'm not alone in thinking that Powell's use (and often lack of use) of substitutions can be a bit odd. And yes, I am a big fan of him.

Thinking back to the summer of 2012, we managed to buy a whole team without a DoF. And haven't Spurs had problems with the DoF buying players that the manager didn't want?
  • Options

Graham Poll wrote an article in Saturday's Sun, not only slating Warnock, but also claiming that a London club were considering offering him a position as Director of Football.

Karen Brady's bit in the sun yesterday said she knew for a fact a London club had made an approach to be director of football.
  • Options

Off_it said:

Yeah, I mean when was the last time he put on a substitute who went and won us a game?

I was being slightly sarcastic,
    Me too mate. It's what I do. ;-)
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Stig said:

Anyone read the Leon Cort interview in the Bolton programme?

No thanks Neil.

What did it say?
    VR: Neil Warnock once said about you that you needed to be nastier on the pitch and have more scars - that must have been quite a weird conversation?

LC: He called me into his office, and at the time I thought it was a joke, but then I realised he was being serious. I said, 'If you want me to get sent off for you, I will do, but would you not want 11 players on the pitch?'. He told me to leave my elbow in a bit when I went up for the ball and I tried to explain that there would be a real chance that the referee would send me off if he saw that. That isn't what I'm about as a footballer.

VR: And the scars?

LC: He asked me if I'd ever had a broken nose before or had any scars, and asked why not when I said 'no'. I explained that I had still put my head in where it hurts plenty of times. Fortunately for me, the conversation came around the time you could do loans, and I went to Stoke the week after.
  • Options
    Keith Peacock already does an advisory job for us so do we really need the expense of Warnock?
  • Options
    No, this would be the wrong move totally.
    What? Position Warnock so that he squats over Chris Powells position to be readily available if the owners stupidly get trigger happy? Thats not exactly the way to bring peace and harmony in is it?
    Warnock has publically and bitterly stated this week that Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen arrive at clubs after he goes, to destroy all the good work he has done...not the most accomplished diplomat is he? I also believe that Warnock has managed a paltry total of games in the Prem (especially in comparison to Hughes/Bowen).
    Warnock would be the 'new' Denis Wise if he pitched up at the Valley, I believe Wise is in dispute with Jimenez which might explain why he hasn't already been brought in to frighten the horses himself.
    Surely we can't be the only people to see the bleedin' obvious that Powell should be left alone to get on with managing Charlton within whatever resources available?
    The wider world of football (well this week Brighton, check what they say about us and Powell) would simply be incredulous if Powell were to be threatened in any way by Warnock presence, and for that matter Wise or Jimenez or Slater.
    Leave Powell alone to get on with a job he has started so well
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I like Warnock - although his behaviour pitch side is often lamentable - but don't really want him at Charlton right now.

As for Mark Bowen slagging off Warnock, perhaps he might have more credibility if he ever stops hiding in Mark Hughes' apron strings and has a go at managing himself.
  • Options
    I think that NW could make a success of becoming a DoF. I don't think coming in at The Valley is either right club or right time. Not to say it couldn't work I just think his appointment at THIS time might be considered divisive, If he had come in at the same time as SCP then I think it could have worked very well.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

DiscoCAFC said:

No thanks! Would rather have Curbs as DOF.

Yes please!

He knows the club inside out , he 'gets ' Charlton , could also act as a mentor for Chris , would love it too happen , could be our best signing of the Summer?

Not sure our Chris needs a mentor and our manager is growing in experience so let's not rock the apple cart. Would have been the perfect set up when CP joined as manager but I feel Curbs being installed now or any other Director of football for that reason might not work well for us. We need to spend on players imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thinking back to the summer of 2012, we managed to buy a whole team without a DoF. And haven't Spurs had problems with the DoF buying players that the manager didn't want?

Well apparently Jol didn't want Darren Bent but if we brought a DoF in, like I said before it would be vital that he and Powell had a great relationship and was always consulted on deals. I think the good outweighed the bad for Spurs with the system though except under Juande Ramos. In theory the DoF should have more contacts and be able to bring in players that Powell might not be aware of. Brighton for example have brought in the likes of Calderon who our scouting team may not have been aware of from abroad and have built a good play-off side.

That being said, Warnock doesn't strike me as the right guy for the role as he is pretty outspoken and would probably be a distraction.
  • Options
    Bugger having a DoF.

If we have "staff" budget to spare I would rather beef up our scouting ability. We seem to miss out on a lot of available lower /non league talent. Not sure if we just don't spot them or can't attract them.
  • Options
    Warnock joining us would ring so my alarm bells in my head regarding Powell's position
  • Options
    Dear old Colin .......how old is he now, 64 ...?

Needs a nice comfy wind-down job, where a club can benefit from his vast experience.
    Lives not so far from Plymouth. Good fit.
  • Options
    Was told last week by someone at the club that if we had lost to Bolton then Powell would have been out so the timing of this makes sense at least if nothing else about it does.
  • Options
    If it doesn't mean cash (yeah right) isn't diverted from transfer budget then why not. The man has a wealth of football experience and passion a plenty.
  • Options
    ashley said:

Was told last week by someone at the club that if we had lost to Bolton then Powell would have been out so the timing of this makes sense at least if nothing else about it does.

And replace Powell with a manager who hadn't won in 7 matches?

I don't think any replacement would have been Colin!

• Options
    ashley said:

Who was the someone? One of the programme seller's? Or someone working on the hot dog stands?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The more I think about it the more I don't think it's us anyway. My guess is Palace. I know he left there but they had Lenny and it worked well. Might want to go down the same route. On the other hand Holloway and Warnock would be like the Chuckle Brothers.
  • Options
    Is Lennie leaving Selhurst?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2013

Lennies at Bolton with Freedman.

• Options
    do not want that man any ware near our football club
  • Options

Lennies at Bolton with Freedman.

Thanks...I didn't know!

He certainly seems to get around.
  • Options

ashley said:

Who was the someone? One of the programme seller's? Or someone working on the hot dog stands?
    lol
  • Options
    I sincerely hope this is bollocks. I think it is.
  • Options
    He could return to QPR now that Redknapp's resigned.
  • Options
    Resigned ?
  • Options

He could return to QPR now that Redknapp's resigned.

Like Pullis did last night?

• Options

Resigned ?

to relegation.

• Options
    I like Warnock - however bizarre it may seem, I think a combination of him and Powell would be an absolute dream team but wouldn't want any of Powells current team to go. If Warnock could be added to it though I think we could really push on.