Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Report on Charlton Lifers visit to the boardroom at Barnsley

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Sorry curb it, misunderstood what you meant, from our seat in the directors box, to the right of the stand, standing all on it own in a field was a single lonely pit head (with the big winding wheel still in place) just standing there and etched against the sky line, just thought it was very appropriate with the death of Margaret Thatcher freshly in my mind. This just can be made out in the photo showing the complete away stand with the pylon to to the right, it just above the tree line roughly half way between the stand and the pylon.

During my younger days, when the miner strike was running its course, I undertook a major refrigeration project in the Barnsley area, I can still remember the bitterness of the locals towards Mrs Thatcher and the police, Infact it actually affected me both mentally and my journeys north, for those of you that don't know flying pickets where a major problem (unionist that would travel all our the country and form / reinforce pickets lines) and to prevent this the police use to occasionally set up road blocks at the Dartford tunnel and various roundabouts on the A1 to stop these unionist getting up north.

Please note! as favour to me and future Charlton life auctions! Do not turn this into a debate about the miner strike etc., I am just trying to explain to curb it, what I meant about 1 minor comment and why I thought it was appropriate to mention it.
  • Options

what I meant about 1 minor comment

or even miner fits as well ;-)

glad you had a good un !

• Options

what I meant about 1 minor comment

or even miner fits as well ;-)

glad you had a good un !

Excellent comment, and we had a fabulous time, thanks.

• Options
    Thanks. I lived thru the miners strikes but just didn't understand the pit head bit. Got it now. Thanks Kerry.
  • Options
    No problem, sorry I went into all the details then, trouble is you never the age of people you are talking to on the Internet.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Oh no. No problem I was interested in that. But I've never been to the ground or the atea so didn't realise its exact position. So now I fully understand the other poster who said charlton fans would get beaten if they sang Maggie Maggie etc.

• Options
    Good stuff sounds like a near perfect day :-)
  • Options

Sounds good. Glad you both enjoyed it.
  • Options
    So pleased that you had such A GOOD TIME
  • Options

Tell you what Henry, the whole experience is certainly worth the £1,000 you suggest, if you could guarantee the result was the same.

I'm going to work on this for next time.

£400 minimum lose or draw. £100 extra for every goal we win by.

What do you all think? : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tell you what Henry, the whole experience is certainly worth the £1,000 you suggest, if you could guarantee the result was the same.

I'm going to work on this for next time.

£400 minimum lose or draw. £100 extra for every goal we win by.

What do you all think? : - )
    Sounds good to me, pleased you didn't do it this time :-)
  • Options

"you could have had anything you wanted so coke for me"

Very liberal in Barnsley.

:0)

Very, I don't think thet would know what to do with your version of coke. Although I have heard it rumoured in the good old days, they used to use it for heating :-)
    I'm not so sure - they did develop a new way of ingesting ecstasy up there - it's called "E by gum"......
    Anyway, what a great day, it sounds fanstastic. Although that lounge is not very John Lewis is it?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

"you could have had anything you wanted so coke for me"

Very liberal in Barnsley.

:0)

Very, I don't think thet would know what to do with your version of coke. Although I have heard it rumoured in the good old days, they used to use it for heating :-)
    I'm not so sure - they did develop a new way of ingesting ecstasy up there - it's called "E by gum"......
    Anyway, what a great day, it sounds fanstastic. Although that lounge is not very John Lewis is it?
    No, as I understand the boardroom was described as old fashion, which probably described it very well, apparently there are a lot better boardrooms to see, but it and the people in it where characters. Huddersfield is meant to be one of the better visits in this league.