Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parachute payments increased again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22171365

Up from £48m over four seasons to over £60m. Crazy.

Comments

• Options
    15 million a season for 4 years just for getting relegated......................it will all end in tears.
  • Options
    I have the detailed breakdown of the current deal, and will be writing an article on it for the next Trust News.

• Options
    It did not seem to do last year's relegated teams much good.

Most of the money seems to go on continuing to pay those players who were not motivated/good enough to keep you in the Premiership, rather than on building a good promotion challenging side.
  • Options
    two words - relegation clause...

:)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Surely the office of fair trading should be involved. How is the championship a fair marketplace when an outside agency (the premier league in this case) is massively distorting said marketplace?

Saying that, there are a lot of things in football that I can't believe are legal. First on the list has to be transfer windows. How is that not restraint of trade? Say you're a club on the verge of bankruptcy, you have plenty of assets to sell (players), but it's March, so you're out of luck. It's only a matter of time before a club in dire straights is going to go to court to force through player sales outside of the windows.
  • Options
    Lunacy - not only will it create an unlevel playing field giving relegated teams even more of an unfair advantage but will encurage teams to go heavily into debt to "chase the dream" of premiership football.

For example Cardiff's running debt is currently at £83m and they added £13.5m to it in the last financial year. Suppose by some miracle they failed to get promoted this season - if they couldn't service the repayments next season on CCC money they'd be adding their name to the list of clubs in administration.

They need promotion this season...or else.
  • Options
    Cardiff's debt borders on the criminal.
  • Options
    Salad said:

Cardiff's debt borders on the criminal.

Yep, the £83m debt is what they will be taking into the premiership, plus what they will add in this current fiscal year - say another £13m or so?
  • Options

Surely the office of fair trading should be involved. How is the championship a fair marketplace when an outside agency (the premier league in this case) is massively distorting said marketplace?

Saying that, there are a lot of things in football that I can't believe are legal. First on the list has to be transfer windows. How is that not restraint of trade? Say you're a club on the verge of bankruptcy, you have plenty of assets to sell (players), but it's March, so you're out of luck. It's only a matter of time before a club in dire straights is going to go to court to force through player sales outside of the windows.

Or if you Mr Bosman and want to move in March.
  • Options
    Loco said:

Or if you Mr Bosman and want to move in March.
    I'm sure they allowed Portsmouth to sell outside of the windiw with one if their recent Administrations.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's been mentioned on talkSPORT this a.m. that there are possible moves to deny entry to the championship to clubs relegated from the premier. This is over the huge parachute payments. I only heard the news in one ear .. McIlwhenney, one time championship 'chairman' (or whatever) is on at 11ish to discuss the issue
  • Options
    We bought Herman outside the window - we just couldn't play him till the next season (as memory serves...)