Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAS Trust News - TNT 3 Free - plus free big prize draw details to follow soon

13»

Comments

• Options
    I agree with Seth. I get a programme every game, but it's more as a souvenir than as serious reading. It's rare these days to get much real insight from a programme because there's so many alternative sources to get the news from first. I increasingly find that I skip large chunks of it and if the economy gets any worse, I can see myself cutting it out altogether.

Much as I hate to praise the Hammers, their programme in the late '70s was one of the best I've seen. Small pages (not those monsters in modern programmes that you can't fit into a pocket without a degree in origami) and only about 16 of them. But it was crammed full of facts. For someone like myself who really only wants a team sheet with a few additional bits of info, this format would be ideal.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Combined with a wider communication issue within the club that stifles the content, I do not envy Matt the task of producing something that compares with those of other clubs although I don't and won't criticise what they try to do.

There you go again. I'm quite prepared to accept I've got the wrong end of the stick here, and maybe it's just your personal writing style and the way you chose to express yourself, but that last comment reads EXACTLY like a thinly veiled criticism to me. Again.

Just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I agree with Seth. I get a programme every game, but it's more as a souvenir than as serious reading. It's rare these days to get much real insight from a programme because there's so many alternative sources to get the news from first. I increasingly find that I skip large chunks of it and if the economy gets any worse, I can see myself cutting it out altogether.

Much as I hate to praise the Hammers, their programme in the late '70s was one of the best I've seen. Small pages (not those monsters in modern programmes that you can't fit into a pocket without a degree in origami) and only about 16 of them. But it was crammed full of facts. For someone like myself who really only wants a team sheet with a few additional bits of info, this format would be ideal.

I would agree with this. I think in this day and age, what With the level of information available at the click of a button, there needs to be a bit of a rethink on exactly what a programme is for and what it needs to say.

I mean, putting up the price by £1 because its got 16 extra pages, or whatever, is all well and good - but it depends on what's actually in those extra 16 pages. Does anyone actually think about what the customer wants, or is it just assumed they will continue to stump up the same as they always have?

Personally I would like to see the programme slimmed down and knocked out for, say £1 or £2 a pop. I kinda get fed up reading articles every year about how it's been a really busy time for the communications department putting together 2 or 3 programmes in a week, or how they are going to be busy in the summer even though there are no programmes to produce. I don't doubt it, but it all gets a bit samey in the end.

Ps. Just counted 19 pages of adverts in yesterday's programme. Bonza.
  • Options
    D'oh.
    Thought I'd already joined the trust, but apparently not.
    Been corrected.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Combined with a wider communication issue within the club that stifles the content, I do not envy Matt the task of producing something that compares with those of other clubs although I don't and won't criticise what they try to do.

There you go again. I'm quite prepared to accept I've got the wrong end of the stick here, and maybe it's just your personal writing style and the way you chose to express yourself, but that last comment reads EXACTLY like a thinly veiled criticism to me. Again.

I don't think the programme now is as good as many others in the division. Prior to 2009 - under the same editorship - it was. I don't think that decline is the fault of the staff in any way. Is that clear enough for you?
  • Options
    so is the club keeping the trust in check.
    we had a free newsletter that you had to buy a programme to receive although i suppose if you had asked they might of just given the newsletter.
    when told earlier in the week this was to happen i had some doubts
  • Options

Off_it said:

I don't think the programme now is as good as many others in the division. Prior to 2009 - under the same editorship - it was. I don't think that decline is the fault of the staff in any way. Is that clear enough for you?
    Perfectly. So it WAS another dig at the club then.

I'll add it to the tally.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Stig said:

I would agree with this. I think in this day and age, what With the level of information available at the click of a button, there needs to be a bit of a rethink on exactly what a programme is for and what it needs to say.

I mean, putting up the price by £1 because its got 16 extra pages, or whatever, is all well and good - but it depends on what's actually in those extra 16 pages. Does anyone actually think about what the customer wants, or is it just assumed they will continue to stump up the same as they always have?

Personally I would like to see the programme slimmed down and knocked out for, say £1 or £2 a pop. I kinda get fed up reading articles every year about how it's been a really busy time for the communications department putting together 2 or 3 programmes in a week, or how they are going to be busy in the summer even though there are no programmes to produce. I don't doubt it, but it all gets a bit samey in the end.

Ps. Just counted 19 pages of adverts in yesterday's programme. Bonza.
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Perfectly. So it WAS another dig at the club then.

I'll add it to the tally.
    Feel free, although of course the 2009 decisions were made by the old board, not this one.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

we had a free newsletter that you had to buy a programme to receive although i suppose if you had asked they might of just given the newsletter.

It was given out free at pubs - around one thousand - and will be available online, I don't see how that is keeping the trust in check. It is also a one off more than likely. The club has no editorial say on anything the trust says or does. So not really sure what you are getting at. Some will naysay whatever we do we accept that.

I prefer to look at what we have achieved - a new form of influence, we have opened up a channel that will allow fans to participate far more in the running of the club that many thought we would not get. One major benefit to this particularly is access to club outlets for our awareness and membership drive, this is extremely important as it means we can reach all fans and expand our network.

• Options
    clb74 said:

Interesting question!
    Nothing was edited out of TNT#3 that might have "offended" anyone at the club - we have steered clear of the various court cases because there is an ongoing process.
    1,000 - which is our previous print run - were given out in pre match pubs and also put onto some of the Valley express coaches without programmes. When I first became involved back in September I was very sceptical of printed media and most of our focus has been on-line with our website and surveys... as above we will re-visit the mix for next season which can't start soon enough!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    As someone who designed the trust news, as I did the other two I thought it was a decent attempt, but then I am biased........

Much credit goes to Stig, and other contributors, including BFR's excellent article and the season reviewer, as well as other people whom post on here. Sorry about the mask, yes it should have been on the spread, put as you have to cut it out and paste it to bit of card, and provide string, and glue...........I have a few spare copies if anyone would like one who did not get one..

The trust news was free. It was given out free in the local pubs, I personally gave out my allocation in the Anchor, as other trust members did to other pubs and CAFC coaches.
    No one got any money, or asked. We had no editorial budget.
    The principle aim was to communicate with fan's, and hopefully be relevant, not to compete with the programme. I hope people enjoyed it. A big thank you to a fellow fan who paid for this.
  • Options
    I was also responsible as editor, not letting Ken take all the blame here.

One should also look at the frontpage of issue 2, moneyball or money out is a fairly hard hitting headline?
  • Options
    I still feel the programme is a decent read, and better value than the tasteless burgers or £1.50 (or whatever it is) bottle of coke from the kiosks, though recall that at Bolton their programme was only £2 and not noticeable smaller in content. The Ipswich programme, from memory, was the same price as ours and seemed to have a lot more content for the money.
  • Options
    im probably being a bit to hard.
    will be interesting to see how many fans sign up in the next few weeks
    did anyone take a note on the figure before yesterdays game
  • Options
    Of course, we'll write it up soon think it was around 370
  • Options
    Well I got one in the pub and am now a fully paid up member....it works! Well done to all involved
  • Options
    clb74 said:

im probably being a bit to hard.
    will be interesting to see how many fans sign up in the next few weeks
    did anyone take a note on the figure before yesterdays game

We are trying to double in size with these various activities from 300 at the end of March to 600... the membership secretary is back from holiday and has a whole load of applications to process so expect we will be through the 400 mark shortly... The announcement of the tie up with the club led to 20+ people joining in a single day

And our joint email with CAFC has not yet gone out! We are also hoping to do some promotion work with supporter branches and Valley Gold so we will keep going towards the 600 mark slowly but surely

• Options
    mrbligh said:

Well I got one in the pub and am now a fully paid up member....it works! Well done to all involved

Which pub? Be interesting to know. The Oak, Lib, Swan, Bugle and ROD were all heavily saturated before the match.
  • Options
    oi oi over 400
  • Options
    I buy a programme as a souvenir but most of the content can be read elsewhere in my opinion.

Not a criticism just an observation.

As regards the Trust News I ended up with 3 copies. My daughter and I got one each in the Bugle before the game and then there was one in the programme.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

oi oi over 400

Yes, now at 410 members and a network of 2,000 email addresses / twitter followers

Next stop 500 and 2,500 and still no fire / car crash... CASTrust that's what we do!

• Options
    It really is free honest guv, I understand there may be some spares so get in touch with our secretary@castrust.org Richard Wiseman if you want a hard copy, and if any stock is remaining

If not the e-version is now available on our website

http://ww.castrust.org/news/newsletters/