Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It doesn't take a rocket scientist........

2»

Comments

• Options
    Chrispy51 said:

Urban myth I'm afraid, frozen or not its the same mass = same result.

Exactly!

Not exactly... when frozen the body would be solid, and therefore the whole mass of the bird would be focussed on the point of impact between body and screen, if not frozen - therefore liquid in the body such as water and blood would be in the liquid rather than solid state and therfore the body would be more floppy than solid, if you slowed down the time of impact there would be a lot more distortion in the body which would act to slow it down and spread the load across a larger area of impact, liquids would be expelled from the body (causing water and blood to splatter across the screen) and there would be less chance of it smashing the screen. So although you are correct that it will be the same mass, it will not be the same result.
    It wouldn't be the same mass anyway, when thawed out quite a lot of the mass - now water rather than ice - would have either drained away or evaporated.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

A few of them in Sevenoaks with Fort Halstead being up the road.

That's the place. I'd never heard of it.
  • Options

Has anyone ever met a rocket scientist ?
    I was at a wedding last week & asked this bloke (about 30) what he did. He said he was a rocket scientist & I laughed.
    But he really is, works in the Sevenoaks area. Seemed a totally normal guy to me ie not a "professor type".
    I was amazed.

So perhaps you're not that good at judging people's intelligence! ;-)

Doesn't Dowie have qualifications that effectively make him a rocket scientist?

I'm pretty sure it's just a mechanical engineering degree, which means he can work out how fast a shit goes down a pipe.

Point 1, yes I make you right.

Point 2 It wasn't quite what he said, but yes it was about measuring speeds of rockets. He was confident that N Korea couldn't nuke us :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    cafcfan said:

Chrispy51 said:

Urban myth I'm afraid, frozen or not its the same mass = same result.

Exactly!

Not exactly... when frozen the body would be solid, and therefore the whole mass of the bird would be focussed on the point of impact between body and screen, if not frozen - therefore liquid in the body such as water and blood would be in the liquid rather than solid state and therfore the body would be more floppy than solid, if you slowed down the time of impact there would be a lot more distortion in the body which would act to slow it down and spread the load across a larger area of impact, liquids would be expelled from the body (causing water and blood to splatter across the screen) and there would be less chance of it smashing the screen. So although you are correct that it will be the same mass, it will not be the same result.
    It wouldn't be the same mass anyway, when thawed out quite a lot of the mass - now water rather than ice - would have either drained away or evaporated.
    No, it will still be the same mass unless you dried it out. Unless you are talking about the cheap water pumped Asda basics