Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

WHERE THEY ARE NOW ?

I recently came across a 5 year old team sheet for a pre-season friendly I went to between Dover Athletic and CAFC and I decided to look into how the players who turned out for us in that game had progressed with their careers. The date of the game was 23rd July 2008 and these are as far as I could find out where they are in 2013.

1 Rob Elliot Newcastle
2 Yassin Moutaouakil Portsmouth
3 Grant Basey Wycombe Wanderers
4 Josh Wright Millwall
5 Majid Boughera Lekhwiya (Qatar)
6 John Fortune Chatham Town ? / Dag & Redbridge ?
7 Lloyd Sam New York Red Bulls
8 Dean Sinclair Sutton Utd
9 Stuart Fleetwood Luton Town
10 Chris Dickson Shanghai East Asia
11 Rashid Jussuff AFC Wimbledon
12 Aswad Thomas Grimsby Town
14 Mikel Jensen IF Brommapojkarna ( ret 2011 )
15 Kevin Tunani FC Brussels ( Belg 2nd Div )
16 Callum Christie (GK) Somewhere in America
17 Ben Godfrey Lewes (Ryman Prem )
18 Sam Long Dover Athletic
19 Yodo Mambo Shrewsbury

Anyone know of any players who turned out in pre-season games then left us but went on to huge fame and fortune with other clubs ?

Comments

• Options
    Mambo is only out on loan
  • Options
    I realise that, I was just saying where they are in 2013....I also realise his name isnt Yodo.......Doh!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Fleetwood has been released by Luton according to the NLP.
  • Options
    Lloyd Sam is where?????
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Lloyd Sam is where?????

And playing alongside Ruben Bover!!! I hope that at least they are getting well paid because playing in Yankee Doodle land is not going to get you a career in English football. I'm more disappointed in Bover's likely demise than Sam's.

• Options
    Going to play with Cahill and Henry in New York infront of crowds of 20,000+ how foolish of them.
  • Options
    Henry Irving has moved to New York?

I'm getting confused now.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Saw the name Ross Worner earlier today. Completely forgot he was our sub keeper for a season.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Worner

Few more I forget were even with us when looking through the old squad lists. Remember Wade Small and Bally Smart?

http://www.footballsquads.co.uk/eng/2010-2011/flone/charlton.htm
  • Options
    Wow, Michael Stewart never found a club after leaving us, thought he was half decent.

As for Ross Worner; from his Wiki page, quote from Holdsworth the Aldershot boss where he went after us...

“I’m delighted Ross has signed a two-year agreement with us. He has got a big future in football if he carries on the way he is going. I liken him, in all seriousness, to Joe Hart a few years ago, he’s got a great future.[Goalkeeping coach] Ashley Bayes has been brilliant with him as he has with Jamie Young, Jordan Clement and the other keepers we’ve had with us this season. Ross needs pushing and occasionally needs grounding and Ashley does that really well.”
    —Holdsworth on Worner.[10]
  • Options
    Worner hurt his back and missed loads of football. Been in the non league scene recently on loan as he gets fit again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wow, Michael Stewart never found a club after leaving us, thought he was half decent.

serves him right, greedy bugger.
  • Options

As for Ross Worner; from his Wiki page, quote from Holdsworth the Aldershot boss where he went after us...

“I’m delighted Ross has signed a two-year agreement with us. He has got a big future in football if he carries on the way he is going. I liken him, in all seriousness, to Joe Hart a few years ago, he’s got a great future.[Goalkeeping coach] Ashley Bayes has been brilliant with him as he has with Jamie Young, Jordan Clement and the other keepers we’ve had with us this season. Ross needs pushing and occasionally needs grounding and Ashley does that really well.”
    —Holdsworth on Worner.[10]

That's hilarious about Michael Stewart, I remember him saying when he played for us that he wouldn't be signing permanently because he thought he could get a bigger club in the summer!

I think we were interested in offering him something too, never look a gift horse in the mouth.
  • Options
    18 - Sam Long: also coaches Welling Utd U16's
  • Options
    "Anyone know of any players who turned out in pre-season games then left us but went on to huge fame and fortune with other clubs ? "

Do you mean players who left that season without playing for us? Because there are plenty of players who played for us including in pre season who are doing pretty well...
  • Options
    Dean Sinclair....another masterful piece of business. Not quite up there with Simon Walton or Martin Christensen but not far short.
  • Options
    DRF said:

"Anyone know of any players who turned out in pre-season games then left us but went on to huge fame and fortune with other clubs ? "

Do you mean players who left that season without playing for us? Because there are plenty of players who played for us including in pre season who are doing pretty well...

I was thinking more along the lines of played in pre-season games but for what ever reason didn't get signed but went to better things elsewhere. Am I right in thinking Ricardo Fuller did this many years ago ?
  • Options
    Mark Debolla was with Sittingbourne a few years back, not sure if he is still playing.

I'm sure I remember someone posted on here about how he was arrested in America for something, mugshot was posted as well!
  • Options
    Interesting stuff @Ashaddick

cheers
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking Ricardo Fuller did this many years ago ?

Ye, but he got injured, needed an operation (which apparently the club aid for) and then he missed a bit of football and came back at a lower level.
  • Options
    Anyone remember having Etienne Esajas and Guillem Bauza on trial?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember a Portuguese cb we signed under Pardew I think or parky. He came from a Romanian club and never played a game.
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

Anyone remember having Etienne Esajas and Guillem Bauza on trial?

AFC Wimbledon away - I thought he looked good if it was him.
  • Options
    Anyone remember Steve Barbe? Pretty sure he made the bench once and that was it.
  • Options

I remember a Portuguese cb we signed under Pardew I think or parky. He came from a Romanian club and never played a game.

Monteiro?

• Options
    We had Goncalo Brandao on loan under Curbs i think and he didnt play a game
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="killerandflash">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Henning_Hovi

Remember this guy? </blockquote>

Yep,I remember him up at Bolton away Burnden Park when were getting thumped
    and Mcginley got a hat-trick he came on as a sub.
  • Options
    I remember Steve Barbe. Back in the days when we had an almost entirely British team so I used to presume that any foreign player we signed would automatically be brilliant.

Had high hopes for Emeka Ifejiagwa, but according to his Wikipedia page his entire football career consisted of 28 games across about 11 years.

Cristian Bolanos looked pretty good prior to having his work permit turned down.