Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How would CP cope with big egos and big name players?

The thing I like about this current side is the team spirit and how CP has brought together players who want to be here and have a good attitude.
I do wonder how CP would cope with big name players and whether they would respond to his personality. He epitomises so many good qualities which might be lost on some of the bigger egos in football.
I do hope he gets the chance at the top level.

Comments

• Options
    As I said when he was appointed don't overlook his chairmanship of the PFA.

He would have been in touch with plenty of big egos and big names and was a fairly big name himself (not to the Evening Sub-Standard though).
  • Options

As I said when he was appointed don't overlook his chairmanship of the PFA.

He would have been in touch with plenty of big egos and big names and was a fairly big name himself (not to the Evening Sub-Standard though).

I thought this... but then thought that only players already in England will know of him... but then I imagine he will only get players with prem experience... if they can't be sold the idea of Charlton and Powell, I'm not sure I want them. We've been taken apart by mercenaries before
  • Options
    I'd say Fuller is a fairly large ego and he has been pretty much under control

He's not the only one with an ego - Stephens after his head was turned. Frimpong and Razzaq.

Let's face facts, Chris Powell is a very intelligent man and seems to know how to handle people pretty well
  • Options
    I don't know it would ever be a problem because I don't think Chris would ever bring in a player that he didn't believe truly wanted to be here, howeever great. He talked a lot last season about how he convinced players who had 'better' offers elsewhere to play for us because of his vision. I think he would only buy players who engaged with that vision and I think he is as capable of getting big names and small to do that.
  • Options
    Ben Hamer strikes me as having a big ego (and none the worse for that). CP's handling of him has been just excellent.
  • Options
    Id day Chris Powell still has a fairly large ego himself.
  • Options
    CP said recently that man management was one of the biggest parts of his job. I believe Wiggins also said he was the best manager he's played for and although i wouldnt consider him a big ego, the fact that the players are openly giving him praise (along with the recent performances on the pitch) show that the players are giving everything for Powell.

Powell has always looked to bring in players that fit the Charlton mould imo and hasnt looked for big names. The exception being Fuller who already had history with the club.

Ben Hamer is a nutter also.
  • Options
    *loveable nutter
  • Options
    don't think hamer's ego was testéd enough.

lost the shirt and had it handed back to him by button.

• Options

and has subsequently played very very well

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Losing it was enough. There has been noticeably less silly mistakes/overconfidence since he's come back in, not to say he's stopped completely but he does look much more focused.
  • Options
    Not doubting he's played well since. My argument goes off subject so i'll keep schtum.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Id day Chris Powell still has a fairly large ego himself.

LOL. Make you right.
  • Options
    There have probably been quite a few managers who had less than successful playing careers who found it a challenge to keep big ego players in check.not including scp in unsuccessful bracket by the way.but as scp himself says man management ie keeping players happy is the hardest part,you can only start 11 and those on the bench with some players who maybe think they should be playing not even selected at all. we of course dont get to see what really goes on but the vibes from our club are that we have a squad of players who respect the gaffers decisions and all play their part for the club.
  • Options
    At a guess, i reckon he would send them out on loan, and then flog them to Coventry
  • Options

At a guess, i reckon he would send them out on loan, and then flog them to Coventry

:-)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Didn't he say when we had that complete turnaround of the summer 2 years ago that he didnt just look at people's skill etc but also looked very carefully at people's character/attitude etc. I'm pretty sure he said it was something Curbs used to do as well. So im pretty sure because of that he'd weed out the troublemakers before they even got to the club, and if they slipped through im pretty sure Powell could control them, he seems a good man manager as well as football manager!
  • Options
    PDC is his best mate, apparently. He should be used to it.
  • Options
    Managing/motivating people is his greatest strength - wouldn't be a problem
  • Options
    Why do people think CP would struggle to manage big egos whereas someone like PDC would be fine.

Just because you have a big ego doesn't mean you can manage the egos of others. I'd say the opposite was more likely to be true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SCP is a football man with a football brain

Players need to be aware of that as its difficult to spit dummies out and get away with it with proper football people