Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thank the Deities

13»

Comments

• Options

If Charlton are in the top ten favourites I will be amazed.

Favourites as in common sense, not how the bookies see it.

• Options
    They just said on sky that the cost of relegation from the prem is an estimated 50 million for those that think that going up equals big bucks yep it does but it also means big losses

Don't know how they work it out and based on what losses but it certainly is food for thought
  • Options
    At a guess instead of getting 70m they get 20m next season
  • Options
    That will be based on an established prem team like Wigan or Villa. Cardiff when they go up will get a minimum payout of 19 million plus whatever gate receipts. On relegation they will receive 48 million over the next four seasons. It's worth the pain to go up and then come back down IMHO.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

daz if we don't buy anyone for next season would you not like us to go up next year either

If we're only scraping by, no I wouldn't want us promoted.
  • Options
    I don't think it's as simple as that though with regards the match day running costs the size of the organisation within the club to try to maximise the match day revenue

Your playing staff costs your back room team

Reading for example hardly broke the bank so will be fine in respect of wages I would presume and they may have been prudent in the contract to include a clause for the drop

Tiny Fernandez on the other hand looked like a man who will now be shopping at farm foods not Harrods

I think there is more to the hidden costs
  • Options

I don't think it's as simple as that though with regards the match day running costs the size of the organisation within the club to try to maximise the match day revenue

Your playing staff costs your back room team

Reading for example hardly broke the bank so will be fine in respect of wages I would presume and they may have been prudent in the contract to include a clause for the drop

Tiny Fernandez on the other hand looked like a man who will now be shopping at farm foods not Harrods

I think there is more to the hidden costs

I think that's true. Look how we had to lay off so many back room staff after our relegation. However. I think those costs grow as you establish yourself in the premier league. Not sure Blackpool or Reading have significantly increased those costs to the point of it being a huge problem for the club. I believe that if you do things in a sensible way then even one season in the premier league can be very beneficial.
  • Options
    Maybe that's why Fernandez looked like a man who has lost everything
  • Options
    Exactly, what would be the upside to going up, much better to hang around in the lower leagues like in the 60's 70's and 80's
  • Options
    No doubt hes a rich man Fernandez but would anyone really be surprised if it all fell apart,wouldnt be the first time it has happened.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Next season I believe lowest a Prem team will get for Tv is 55 million, thevparachutevpayment is 60 million over 4 years at 15 per season. So without the internal gate money, sponsors, merchandising etc. season in prem is worth £115 Million pounds plus. Yes, I am really glad we never made it !
  • Options
    According to the logic of many on here, Fernandes should be pleased that QPR were relegated, as his team is nowhere near good enough. Strange but true.
  • Options

So if (and it's a big "if", I grant you) our chairman did not take £11m out of the club, and we ended up 15th in the Championship in 2014/15, we would be going neither up, nor down, like we are today and have £11m more in the bank. How is that not progress?

I'm not sure what dictionary you are using but getting relegated is not "progress"....especially when you end up in mid-division.

The point you are missing is that BFC realised that that they were never going to last in the EPL so they set out their finances accordingly. They turned over less than any other club that year (£52m in total) and their wage bill was the lowest by some distance and even that was heavily inflated by Oyston's £11m dividend. Then they got relegated and are back in mid-table - and that is despite parachute payments totalling £16m this season. They get more parachute money next season too...

They have spectacularly under-performed when you consider that £16m was handed to them on a plate with more money to follow. Similarly Blackburn, Birmingham and Wolves have under-performed given the money they were gifted.

Given that so many teams have poor seasons after relegation from the premiership (and we have experience there) I'd conclude that the changes in playing personnel and the need to shift players on high wages out or persuade them to play on markedly lower wages has a damaging effect on club morale and performances. The debt then forces many clubs into making further cut-backs - and even sends some clubs over the edge - eg Southampton, Leeds, Portsmouth etc. It's remarkable how few clubs bounce back into the premiership at the first time of asking. And before anyone says what about West Ham - they are around £90m in debt.

So..I'd rather we built a squad capable of getting us promoted without breaking the bank and gives us a fighting chance of have a sustainable future in the EPL. That might take a little while longer - but patience is the key. Or we could just have a glory season and then end up like many other relegated clubs deep in debt, rudderless and having to expensively rebuild.

I don't think you read my initial post properly BFR, with respect. I said we would NOT invest heavily, no breaking the bank, we just go up and use the money to clear the debt. We accept that we will struggle on with the same players and possibly have a record low points total. We could employ extra office staff on one year contracts to cope with the extra demand for tickets. That's it.

If two years later we are neither going up nor down from the Championship ( exactly where we are now ) and we are debt free, I cannot get my head around how you cannot see that would be progress for the club as a whole?

It makes the club a lot more attractive for potential investors, and money can be invested in the team, rather than servicing a debt.
  • Options
    I don't think you read my initial post properly BFR, with respect. I said we would NOT invest heavily, no breaking the bank, we just go up and use the money to clear the debt. We accept that we will struggle on with the same players and possibly have a record low points total. We could employ extra office staff on one year contracts to cope with the extra demand for tickets. That's it.

My ideal scenario would be to get promoted in a year or preferably two when we have a core squad who have a fighting chance of avoiding relegation in year one. That means we build on what we have - bringing through some of the talented reserves and shuffling several players in and out and developing a stronger squad. Hopefully that would give us a team capable of lasting a couple of seasons post-promotion and from there we would be able to develop the squad in the Premiership and be capable of pushing on.

Right now we would get relegated straight away and even if we took the Blackpool route - and not spend money on building the squad in order to avoid expensive debts I'm not convinced that we would be materially stronger for having had that year in the Premiership. The experience of many relegated clubs is that they take time to re-adjust back to life in the CCC - for example we have finished above several clubs this season who have the benefit of parchute money. This might be one of those cases where it is one step forward and two back. It's all very well to put backroom staff on one year contracts as well - but that still means considerable dislocation when their jobs disappear and they empty their desks.
  • Options
    Ah well, we shall have to agree to disagree then BFR.
  • Options

Sorry that's just too sensible. Offer to meet him in the Lib stripped to the waist.

• Options

Sorry that's just too sensible. Offer to meet him in the Lib stripped to the waist.

You clearly have not seen my waist since I gave up smoking mate... LOL
  • Options
    What, just a shirt?