Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney heading takeover??

Comments

• Options

Have we missed out here? Have they really got that much cash if they're only buying Ebbsfleet?

Their spending on other ventures has not been exactly careless.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Can see ebsfleet marching to eighth in the blue square within three years
  • Options
    Must be more to this than meets the eye - haven't got a clue what that might be (or what meets the eye for that matter) but I'm sure the full strategy will emerge - just hope it's not to CAFC's detriment.
  • Options
    Ebsfleet are still a million miles behind the likes of Gillingham and they are hardly a thorn in our side are they.
  • Options

Have we missed out here? Have they really got that much cash if they're only buying Ebbsfleet?

Their spending on other ventures has not been exactly careless.

How do you know what they have spent on other things? Just out of interest.
  • Options
    nolly said:

Can see ebsfleet marching to eighth in the blue square within three years

He he.
  • Options
    Surely Welling utd would be a better bet...and would you be worried if Welling were being taken over by a Kuwait consortium? As for Ebsfleet do me a favour got to be Varney winding up TJ surely. Would it not take years and billions of pounds for them to challenge the top six in the prem, if so good luck with that then.
  • Options
    It's a little complacent to think that a Kuwait consortium is going to buy something without some sort of ambition - they ain't gonna just raise money through raffles, pub quizzes and boot fairs.
  • Options
    Ebbsfleet bought to merge with Charlton so we can relocate to be close to Boris Airport for all the European matches that will follow. Come on you Ebsfleet Athletic.
  • Options
    My guess as to why they have targetted Ebbsfleet..........

Ebsfleet is smack bang next to/in the proposed Paramount theme park site area in Swanscombe and general local concensus is that Dartford council are falling over themselves to give planning permission and progress construction ASAP. With the Kuwaitis main investment objectives being in the retail and leisure space this is an ideal opportunity to get in early and potentially have a major input into design plans and maybe even front up some major investment for the park.

No doubt there would be scope for a new state of the art stadium/leisure complex and with Ebsfleet International rail station on their door step along with the proposed improvements to the local infrastructure it would appear to tick all the boxes as a very sound investment on both the football and retail/leisure side.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    ouch just imagine the humiliation of a ground share with ebsfleet, double ouch
  • Options
    razil said:

ouch just imagine the humiliation of a ground share with ebsfleet, double ouch

Come on, everyone knows the plan is not for ground sharing, it's for both clubs to merge. Triple Ouch!
  • Options
    I know I seem the doom merchant on this, but Paramount Park is a long way from ever happening at the moment, unless the Kuwaitis are going to stump up a load of the money which hasn't been raised yet.

Its more like they've spotted a club who are available very cheaply.
  • Options
    Valley said:

McMoist Even if they were successful and achieved L1 or Championship status within the next 10 years, how many would turn up to watch them 5, 6 or maybe 7,000 at most? They have no history and they certainly won't be nicking support off Charlton, Millwall or the Gills. Can't see this getting off the ground myself.

Never underestimate the power of the bandwagon.................

Putting aside any fears of them creating a monster on our doorstep, seems like a very good move IMO. Plenty of land sitting untouched around the Ebbsfleet intl station, just waiting to be utilised. If they want to attract a bigger following of Gravesend residents, I'd consider another name change to include a Polish link to make them feel at home. Warsaw Warriors it is then.....................
  • Options
    A club rejuvenated by the addition of new staff: Curbs as the manager, Varney as CEO, with Airman and Wendy at the helm all financed by oil. Ebbsfleet Athletic has the potential to take off.
  • Options
    So they are close to taking control then?.
  • Options

So they are close to taking control then?.

Already have, the deal was agreed yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22512550
  • Options
    Still don't get it. As others have already said, even if they did come up through the leagues and got to say league one like Crawley did when they splashed the cash, they still wouldn't get crowds any bigger than 5-6k. Their average this season was less than 900.

People aren't just going to stop supporting the club they currently follow and go to Ebbsfleet instead.
  • Options

Still don't get it. As others have already said, even if they did come up through the leagues and got to say league one like Crawley did when they splashed the cash, they still wouldn't get crowds any bigger than 5-6k. Their average this season was less than 900.

People aren't just going to stop supporting the club they currently follow and go to Ebbsfleet instead.

I don't know but maybe its not about splashing cash but making cash from tourism and leisure developments.

This sporting co is an off shoot of an existing development co, so the football club may not be that important.
  • Options
    As has been pointed out above, there is a lot of unused land in the area, and a lot of current/former industrial sites that could use redeveloping. Buying Ebbsfleet could be a cost effective means of sweetening the local population and local council/planning officers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon its going to follow the theme park route. You'll be able to Buy tickets to play for a professional league side.
  • Options
    The pipe dream was always for G&N to attract the population of Gravesham - then the proposed population of Ebbsfleet (post development) with the name change.

Depending on money and management they can climb to league 2 but I don't see them doing any better at tapping into the local population.
  • Options
    It will be Dover not Ebbsfleet mark my words
  • Options

Surely Welling utd would be a better bet...and would you be worried if Welling were being taken over by a Kuwait consortium? As for Ebsfleet do me a favour got to be Varney winding up TJ surely. Would it not take years and billions of pounds for them to challenge the top six in the prem, if so good luck with that then.

Welling were approached but declined, Not convinced that KEH Sports were in for the long term.

KEH Would have cleared debts and revamped the ground as part of the deal.
  • Options
    This thread is hilarious. People see the word "Kuwait" and assume that some mega rich sheikh is behind it all. Why?

• Options
    Go to sleep my son. It's late.
  • Options
    It takes two to tango.
  • Options
    It takes two to tango.
  • Options
    It takes two to tango.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Interesting reading... ;)

What with our recent discoveries this all seems even more confusing.