Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Moving Advice Medway

Decided with Mum we was going to be moving house due to personal reasons and now we have sold our house we are looking around the Medway area... we are only from Dartford so we know that there are no go area's in the main towns however we have seen a few houses in Chattenden & Hoo which we really like. I actually work in Hoo and that seems absolutely fine however the favorite house we are going for is in Chattenden.

Any know how the area is and what to look out for? Or suggestions of other areas.

Comments

• Read the title and thought "agreed, move"
  • Alot of people have that opinion on Medway towns, not sure what the villages outside of the towns are like though. Don't wanna go up the local shops and see loads of Jeremy Kyle candidates.
  • edited May 2013
    There has been talk over many years about airports (Boris Island is just the latest) and the Isle of Grain has been a favoured area for possibly building an airport. Residents have battled against it in the not too distant past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20175706

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Grain

Just something to be aware of as the possibility / uncertainty might adversely affect property values.

It's difficult to give any other specific advice about the area without knowing what size property you need and how much you want to spend.

• Alot of people have that opinion on Medway towns, not sure what the villages outside of the towns are like though. Don't wanna go up the local shops and see loads of Jeremy Kyle candidates.

Order your shopping on line then.
  • I don't know how much you have to spend but if you want somewhere not too far from where you work, Cliffe Woods is quite a nice area. Of course it too would be affected by any Isle of Grain airport.
  • edited May 2013
    £180,000 we are looking at spending. 2 bedrooms please if anyone see's anything ;-)

Alot of people have that opinion on Medway towns, not sure what the villages outside of the towns are like though. Don't wanna go up the local shops and see loads of Jeremy Kyle candidates.

Umm would be nice to be able to walk up the shops every now and then. Sell by dates aren't great from online :).
  • http://berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/berkeley/developments
    /holborough-lakes

Come and be a neighbour!

Some apartments and 2 bed for sale on the estate. Lovely scenery, peace and quiet etc
  • The Medway Towns like most towns in Britain have their good and not so good areas. People generally move there as it is cheaper than other parts of Kent.

My husband and I lived in the Lordswood area of Chatham for 25 years for that very reason. I can't say it would be my area of choice now, but some parts are nicer than others. I knew nothing of the area before we moved there and we bought a brand new house in 1983. What I didn't know at the time and we came to regret, was that it backed onto a former GLC (Greater London Council) overspill council estate, which had quite a few problem families. In time, with the sale of council houses the area did improve.

• edited May 2013

£180,000 we are looking at spending. 2 bedrooms please if anyone see's anything ;-)

Alot of people have that opinion on Medway towns, not sure what the villages outside of the towns are like though. Don't wanna go up the local shops and see loads of Jeremy Kyle candidates.

Umm would be nice to be able to walk up the shops every now and then. Sell by dates aren't great from online :).
    You can get 3 bedrooms in the Parkwood and other areas of Rainham for that.

7 miles to the other side of the Medway Tunnel in the car and then onto Hoo.

I've not been to Hoo for a while so am not 100% definite on the distance but would guess at perhaps another 7 miles from the tunnel.
  • The Medway Towns like most towns in Britain have their good and not so good areas. People generally move there as it is cheaper than other parts of Kent.

My husband and I lived in the Lordswood area of Chatham for 25 years for that very reason. I can't say it would be my area of choice now, but some parts are nicer than others. I knew nothing of the area before we moved there and we bought a brand new house in 1983. What I didn't know at the time and we came to regret, was that it backed onto a former GLC (Greater London Council) overspill council estate, which had quite a few problem families. In time, with the sale of council houses the area did improve.

I agree with ME14. I live on the GLC estate, and like most estates, as the private buyer moves in, the standerd improves a lot. Medway is a big area. If I had to choose an area, St Marys Island is nice and Hoo/Cliff area is very popular at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

I'm only joking pal. Good luck to you pal, there are loads Medway based who can give you good advice.
  • edited May 2013
    I moved from Bexley to Cliffe Woods and I have lived here for 2 years now, and really like it. If you want any advice, send me a message.
  • Hempstead Valley is quite a nice area and not far from Junction 4 of the M2 so would be mostly motorway or dual carriageway for you to get to work.

There is also the Hempstead Valley Shopping Centre where you could walk to the shops or park for free. There is a large M & S, Sainsburys, BHS and the usual shopping centre shops and a food court with fast food.
  • cafckev said:

The Medway Towns like most towns in Britain have their good and not so good areas. People generally move there as it is cheaper than other parts of Kent.

I agree with ME14. I live on the GLC estate, and like most estates, as the private buyer moves in, the standerd improves a lot. Medway is a big area. If I had to choose an area, St Marys Island is nice and Hoo/Cliff area is very popular at the moment.
    I have anecdotal evidence of difficulties with insuring properties on St Mary's Island because of flood and contamination risks.

The problems are probably not insurmountable but, as with the airport situation mentioned above, could adversely affect property values on resale.
  • Thanks for advice guys jotting down all these names and searching on zoopla!
  • LenGlover said:

cafckev said:

The Medway Towns like most towns in Britain have their good and not so good areas. People generally move there as it is cheaper than other parts of Kent.

I have anecdotal evidence of difficulties with insuring properties on St Mary's Island because of flood and contamination risks.

The problems are probably not insurmountable but, as with the airport situation mentioned above, could adversely affect property values on resale.
    I work with a few people who live on the island and they haven't mentioned any insurance problems. Also as it on the site of the dockyard, i cant see it being a flood risk as the navy wouldn't have taken that chance.
  • They say St Mary's Island glows at night. Where they used to service the nuclear subs.

Some nice places down at Wainscott by the by-pass being built at the moment.
  • I live in Cliffe Woods great little village. Surprised to read @cafcbrown lives here to must be a charlton strong hold!!
  • Better get down to cliffe woods and get in with the Medway addicks!
  • cafckev said:

LenGlover said:

cafckev said:

I work with a few people who live on the island and they haven't mentioned any insurance problems. Also as it on the site of the dockyard, i cant see it being a flood risk as the navy wouldn't have taken that chance.
    http://www.medway.gov.uk/pdf/Medway Flood Defence Strategy High Level Appraisal - FINAL Feb 2011.pdf

Page 22 section 4.2 on. In summary there is a flood risk and insurance companies are charging or excluding accordingly.

BDL confirms the land contamination point.

I'm not saying either point is necessarily a deal breaker and the same applies to the possible Isle of Grain airport.

However Willmore appealed for local input so I'm telling him what the estate agents won't. It's up to him what he does with it.

• Sponsored links:

• Moved to Rochester just over a year ago after refusing to previously even just come to have a drink in Medway. Actually brilliant last yr. Love Medway, that said I still wouldn't get out my car in strood, Chatham, Gillingham or gravesend........
  • As has been said before, good and bad areas are everywhere. But you could go even further and find a rough street right next to a quiet leafy road. I've lived in Gillingham and now in Strood. Both have extremely rough areas (although no worse than other places I've lived like Woolwich, Thamesmead, Greenwich). If anything I'd recommend looking at the villages on the outskirts of the Medway Towns (If you could afford it).

Avoid any properties close to Luton Road, Chatham and Darnley Road, Strood (although the side streets are ok). The police have a good website for incidents http://www.police.uk/.
  • The places to avoid are the old army houses in chattenden, Darnley road area in strood, wayfield, Luton road and white road areas in Chatham , lower gillingham ,
  • Drive over to Halling, near Snodland. look at the areas around there where there are a couple ( one very big ) of new developments. You are very close to the M2 which makes it easy for Hoo, also to Leybourne Lakes which is lovely, plus Bluewater for shopping etc. A lot of people would tell you to avoid Medway.
  • Granpa said:

Drive over to Halling, near Snodland. look at the areas around there where there are a couple ( one very big ) of new developments. You are very close to the M2 which makes it easy for Hoo, also to Leybourne Lakes which is lovely, plus Bluewater for shopping etc. A lot of people would tell you to avoid Medway.

That's holborough lakes, where I live. It's beautiful

• Lots of nice areas. The main problem is Chatham, Strood and Gillingham, which might as well be London TBH, without buses or amenities.

So as advised above look at the outer towns and villages. I spent the first 13yrs down here commuting to work in London, worked 6 days a week and was too knackered on Sunday to venture out anywhere. It has only been the last 2 yrs when I have worked from home and had a lot more downtime, that I have ventured out to see what this area can offer.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm not sure whether or not this link will work and, if it does, some of the properties are sold subject to contract but this will give you an idea of what you can buy in the ME8 postcode which isn't a bad area overall although I personally would avoid Twydall.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^1626&maxPrice=180000&minBedrooms=2&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&index=30
  • LenGlover said:

I'm not sure whether or not this link will work and, if it does, some of the properties are sold subject to contract but this will give you an idea of what you can buy in the ME8 postcode which isn't a bad area overall.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^1626&maxPrice=180000&minBedrooms=2&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&index=30

Cheers Len! Found a few houses to view this weekend due to this search!
  • Read the title and thought "agreed, move"

This!!
  • Kings Hill is nice and it's only 10/15 mins from the M20.