Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jeff Hanneman RIP

One of, if not THE main reasons I picked up a guitar as a sulky, angry teenager. Wrote some of the best metal riffs of all time. Big shock.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Fuuuuuck. I know he was out the band, but was this coming at all? I didn't even know he was ill. I don't listen as much to metal as I used to and am a bit out of touch with what's happening, but have still got my bloody Slayer tatt. Shit.
  • Contracted necrotising fasciitis from a spider bite a few years back - ate his arm away. Had liver failure today and died in hospital - not sure whether that was related to the flesh eating bacteria or whether he just got depressed and drank himself to death. Guess that will come out over the next few days. A sad month for metal - first Chi, now this.
  • Sad. RIP.
  • Oh shit.

RIP :(
  • Very sad RIP
  • edited May 2013
    Sad times. RIP
  • I dont know what type of spider bit him, probably a brown recluse - am down in their heartland of Texas at the moment and have been telling the kids all week to be careful where they are playing and what they are picking up. Evil things....
  • Horrible news, an extremely talented man.

R.I.P.
  • Bloody Hell :(
    RIP
  • RIP.

Reign In Blood is a classic.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP

A spider? bloody hell
  • RIP

A spider? bloody hell

A South American Suarez spider, endemic to some parts of Texas, known to prefer the upper arm.

RIP

• What band was he in?
  • iainment said:

What band was he in?

Slayer
  • Today I will be mostly listening to Seasons In The Abyss.
  • South Of Heaven and Reign In Blood for me
  • Quality band one of the reason I was into metal at the tender age of 14.
  • Loved this band growing up. I remember listening to Reign in Blood when I was 14/15 and being blown away. They are the band that started me on my musical journey into Thrash and on to Death/black metal.
  • white tail spider (??) has been mentioned...:o/ Just goes to show that my arachnaphobia is justified. Just having to Listen to Hauting the Chapel
  • Sponsored links:

• Just looked, they're Aussie. Was apparently when having a beer in a hot tub at home, the bite.

Hell Awaits for me when home. From memory most of my favourites were more so down to him rather than King, erred a bit more towards the moody South of Heaven or Seasons sort of song than all out thrash.
  • Me too RP. King was and still is a massive twat. Even the better fast riffs were written by Hanneman rather than King. King's solos are also chromatic whammy dive and tremolo dogshit, whereas Hanneman mastered that atonality that makes them sound so sick - scales all over the place giving everything a chaotic feel.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, most of King's solos sound the same as well. Mr Kent Red up there reckons The Antigallican jukebox may have some Slayer on it, in which case that will definitely be getting some drunken abuse (and possibly karaoke) after the game tomorrow.
  • LOL karaoke Slayer only goes down well when with likeminded people.Spoken from experience...
  • Slayer Karaoke should be a new end of season tradition.
  • I can get behind that. Listening to Ghosts Of War right now - fucking hellfire what a riff that is after the solos
  • Shocked when I heard this, Slayer were a big part of the soundtrack of my youth. Reign In Blood totally blew me away when I first heard it. Had 'Angel Of Death', 'Dead Skin Mask' and 'Jihad' on repeat on my drive home.

RIP Jeff.
  • Very Sad News! Saw Slayer a few times including 'Reign In Blood' Tour. Totally blew me away!!! As a kid always liked their "In your face - Couldn't give a f*ck" attitude.
    Reign in Blood - The "GREATEST THRASH METAL ALBUM OF ALL TIME" - will NEVER be topped!

R.I.P.