Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bristol City Post match news and views 2013

Great way to see out the season with a home win. Think this team deserved a shot at the playoffs, but not meant to be.

Comments

• Options
    If the season was two games longer we would have done it and entered the play offs as the form team. Oh well. On the balance of this up and down season, 9th is about right. Well done CP and the team.
  • Options
    Grest stuff. My love for Powell grows. Interesting to see what happens with recruitment.
  • Options
    Enjoyable 2nd 45mins today. First half was a non-event.

Yann, Jackson and Pritchard get special mentions today.
  • Options
    Fantastic day out. For once I can't wait for the football league show
  • Options
    First half pretty average but sparked into life in the second half by the mighty Yann and for a while it looked like we might run rampant. Then we started fucking around with the ball in our own half and paid for it by gifting them a goal and letting them back in. Put ourselves under needless pressure but managed to hold out and wrap it up with two more goals. Yann was unlucky not to get a hattrick and he thoroughly deserved one.

After the game, was great to see the squads with WAGs and kids doing a lap and SCP with a lump in his throat during his very emotional speech. All in all, a great day. Only question is why did we pass 4 speeding police cars with blues and twos on heading in the direction of Charlton on the way home? Hope there was no trouble after the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    First half was dull as anything Ive seen this season, great second half. Had the ball near Bristols corner flag only to get it all the way back to into our half then give it away for their goal. Apart from that, great performance in the second half, could of had 5 or 6....
  • Options
    The weather today was like our season, sunshine,showers,sun, hail, sunshine.

Drab 1st half, cracking 2nd with some excellent goals.

Yann the man, Pritch excellent.

Congrats to Pope on his debut and goodbye to Waggy who so nearly got the goal he wanted to sign off with. His closing down lead to the first as well.

Still not sure about Gower despite excellent cross for first. Obika on his 2nd half would be worth a season long loan.

City were poor and only really had Morrison's gift as a chance. Tidy and pacy but lacking otherwise.

Best home win of the season, nice drink in the lib. Must have a CL summer drink. When are Kent playing at beckenham?
  • Options
    Bloody hell. Had 10 on us to win 4-0 at 28'sand we let on a pony goal like that.

Ahh well. Good second half today and a great season.

Loved the stand up if you love chris powell and his response. Legend.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    According to the BBC report Kermogant 'crossed' for Obika to head in.

Anyhow, great second half performance, Yann immense; Gower very tidy. Would like to keep him and Obika.

Loved Powell's speech and how much the team seem such a close unit. That has won us a fair number of points this season.
  • Options
    For those of us who couldn't make the game can someone try and paint a picture of the scene at the final whistle (the players lap of honour, Powells speech, etc).

Thank you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Johnnie Jackson - it does what it says on the tin.
  • Options
    First half dire,but great second half.Dont think SCP would have wanted the season to have ended on a poor note after such a strong finish,Imagine told the players so at the break and good to see the lads respond in such a positive fashion.Leaves a good feeling for the summer.
  • Options
    Lacklustre first half - which I put down to the early start. I know there are contractual reasons for this (so Sky can broadcast a match which they cannot do if the ko is at 3PM) but whenever we have an early kick-off the matches always seem to start with the players looking lethargic.

Second half - different game and four good goals and a great way to close the season out. A bit like our season, solid, but uninspiring early on and then better as the season/game drew on.
  • Options
    Oh how I wish Kermorgant's chip had gone in. Like most have commented nothing first half but excellent second.
  • Options
    Posting without reading as usual.
    A sort of poetic, unreal, sweet, forgetful yet absorbing game. We were better than Bristol City and won pretty easily, all five goals were either interesting or excellent. I think our rhythm was a bit disturbed not having Hamer there, and Rhoys Wiggins being replaced early made things a bit awkward, I thought beforehand that there might be a sentimental last game appearance by Waggy and Hughes, but losing Rhoys was not something Chris had legislated for.
    We did actually hit the cross bar in the first half, and were very comfortable everywhere. There was one sublime moment when a City player fell as if tripped by the invisible man as Chris Solly went chundering after a ball, it was as if Chris had a mental tazer to sort the fellow out.
    Second half was good overall, but meandered back into end of season mode occasionally. Yann scored early, and it was an absolute beauty, well worth seeing on the telly later, it was such a balletic screaming volley from a decent way out, it could almost have been drawn for one of those old football comics, a goal that will stick in the memory and bring many a smile during the dull close season.
    Then we worked it down the left, cross, Yann, beastly and 2-0. Morrison did one of his things and it was 2-1. Seemed to affect Button, so later on we saw this years third Pope. Yann then chipped a beauty that begged a sublime hat trick, only for it to hit the bar, and goal machine Obika (who has been getting better) nodded into an empty net. A version of that Giggs/Solskjar goal in the ManU 3-3.
    I loved the forth goal because earlier there had been an almighty scramble where all of our players formed an orderly queue to slam the ball home whilst City players threw everything in the way (big credit to them for that attitude at that time), Jacko was one of the more unlucky ones in that queue.
    However Pritch broke down the right, had a really good chance to finish himself, but unselfishly played in Jacko to slam home the last goal of the season...as I said earlier, poetic. Lovely sunny stuff, and the team ethic displayed in that last goal, finished by our captain was a good cipher for our season, togetherness made manifest.
    After we stayed and were generous in applauding City off we had the lap of celebration, little kids, families, babes in arms, all so sweet, all so warm.
    Chris Powell took the mic, sounded emotional, and very happy, thanked everybody and said this was a point on the journey and he wants to get better and do more. Perfect.
  • Options
    Great post match feel and I would say reminiscent of the end of last season and Powell all emotional added to the depth of feeling that everyone felt about not only being in the championship but in a good place to launch an attack on the playoffs next season. Powell has become more pivotal to the next five years and without him the future is unthinkable. The words he spoke at the end of the game showed not only his commitment but also his confidence in this group of players. I would think he cant wait to get the next season started. Other teams will be interested in how Charlton have come good on such little money and when they realise it is powell and his management they will be interested in him and as long as that has nothing to do with spurs he will stay for a long time. I certainly hope he does. He's a natural leader.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Posting without reading as usual.
    A sort of poetic, unreal, sweet, forgetful yet absorbing game. We were better than Bristol City and won pretty easily, all five goals were either interesting or excellent. I think our rhythm was a bit disturbed not having Hamer there, and Rhoys Wiggins being replaced early made things a bit awkward, I thought beforehand that there might be a sentimental last game appearance by Waggy and Hughes, but losing Rhoys was not something Chris had legislated for.
    We did actually hit the cross bar in the first half, and were very comfortable everywhere. There was one sublime moment when a City player fell as if tripped by the invisible man as Chris Solly went chundering after a ball, it was as if Chris had a mental tazer to sort the fellow out.
    Second half was good overall, but meandered back into end of season mode occasionally. Yann scored early, and it was an absolute beauty, well worth seeing on the telly later, it was such a balletic screaming volley from a decent way out, it could almost have been drawn for one of those old football comics, a goal that will stick in the memory and bring many a smile during the dull close season.
    Then we worked it down the left, cross, Yann, beastly and 2-0. Morrison did one of his things and it was 2-1. Seemed to affect Button, so later on we saw this years third Pope. Yann then chipped a beauty that begged a sublime hat trick, only for it to hit the bar, and goal machine Obika (who has been getting better) nodded into an empty net. A version of that Giggs/Solskjar goal in the ManU 3-3.
    I loved the forth goal because earlier there had been an almighty scramble where all of our players formed an orderly queue to slam the ball home whilst City players threw everything in the way (big credit to them for that attitude at that time), Jacko was one of the more unlucky ones in that queue.
    However Pritch broke down the right, had a really good chance to finish himself, but unselfishly played in Jacko to slam home the last goal of the season...as I said earlier, poetic. Lovely sunny stuff, and the team ethic displayed in that last goal, finished by our captain was a good cipher for our season, togetherness made manifest.
    After we stayed and were generous in applauding City off we had the lap of celebration, little kids, families, babes in arms, all so sweet, all so warm.
    Chris Powell took the mic, sounded emotional, and very happy, thanked everybody and said this was a point on the journey and he wants to get better and do more. Perfect.

Great report
  • Options
    Stone said:

Enjoyable 2nd 45mins today. First half was a non-event.

Yann, Jackson and Pritchard get special mentions today.

Credit to Obika too. Played a part in the first goal and got one for himself too. I'd like to see him and Gower back as Charlton players next season.
  • Options
    Good second half performance. Thought Yann and obika looked like a good pairing, hopefully we'll sign him next season.
  • Options
    Shame about the play-offs but considering the teams that made it in there today, dont quiet think we deserved to replace any of the four.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't get there till half time!!
    Great second half though
    Great end to season

Roll on august
  • Options
    jackj123 said:

Shame about the play-offs but considering the teams that made it in there today, dont quiet think we deserved to replace any of the four.

Exactly, we arent good enough to win the playoffs even if we snuck in. It would of been horrible to blag ourselves into a wembley final only to lose in heartbreaking fashion....
  • Options
    Days like this are always bitter-sweet for me. I love haring about the great game and all the happy match reports, but sooooo wish I was there.

Hopefully there will be lots of video loaded on CAFCPlayer later.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

jackj123 said:

Exactly, we arent good enough to win the playoffs even if we snuck in. It would of been horrible to blag ourselves into a wembley final only to lose in heartbreaking fashion....
    Who knows? Maybe we might have won an epic Wembley final? Noone gave us a chance v Sunderland ? Too much negative thinking on this forum.
  • Options
    Yann said at sponsors' dinner on Thu that he was saving a spectacular goal for today and that he wanted to overtake JJ as leading scorer. What Yann says, Yann does! Apparently he was v upset that Pritch passed to JJ and not him for the fourth! So Yann and the skipper end up on 12 each. A fitting end to the season - and Powelly had us all blubbing...Loved it.

Oh and got two wee waves from Lawrie Wilson during warm up as he promised at the dinner. What a great bunch of lads.
  • Options

Yann said at sponsors' dinner on Thu that he was saving a spectacular goal for today and that he wanted to overtake JJ as leading scorer. What Yann says, Yann does! Apparently he was v upset that Pritch passed to JJ and not him for the fourth! So Yann and the skipper end up on 12 each. A fitting end to the season - and Powelly had us all blubbing...Loved it.

Oh and got two wee waves from Lawrie Wilson during warm up as he promised at the dinner. What a great bunch of lads.

Raging apprently !
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

jackj123 said:

Who knows? Maybe we might have won an epic Wembley final? Noone gave us a chance v Sunderland ? Too much negative thinking on this forum.
    Agreed. Personally I'm not too fussed about getting into the Prem other than because the money could secure the club's future and I get to watch some live games on TV in Canada, but what on earth is the point of a football team if it doesn't try to win every game it plays?

Thanks goodness Chris Powell and the boys don't have such meagre ambition and self belief.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Posting without reading:

Today was about acknowledging the team and the first half reflected that in that few chances were created by two unambitious looking sides although, if anything, we showed the greater desire.

We'd barely taken our seats after halftime when Gower was released down the right and whipped over a low cross which Yann met on the full with a vicious volley which almost broke the net. Soon after we worked another opportunity and a fine cross from Solly, who looked as immaculate on the left as he normally does on the right, was met with a firm header from Yann into the top corner. We then played some beautiful stuff before getting too cocky and conceding a comedy goal which injured Button in the process! After a wobbly few minutes Yann tried a sublime lob over Heaton which came back off the underside of the bar to enable Obi, Obika who comes from White Hart Lane to bury a diving header into the net. Later another fine move down the right and a whipped in low cross which Jacko got on the end of to make it 4-1.

Good to see Waggy get a little cameo and such a shame his volley was cleared off the line as it would have been a great way to sign off if he does leave.

Chris Powell after the match once more showed why we "stand up if you love Chris Powell."

A great end to the season and I hope the Board take note of how highly regarded Powell is and back him over the summer.
  • Options
    Great game today (well ok, great 2nd half) with the front 2 looking especially lively , with Yann winning everything in the air & Obika having a very good first touch - laying the ball off when needed or bringing it forward at other times. Would like to see him stay as I don't think we will be seeing Fuller again next season.

Shame Kermy couldn't get his hat-trick, but what a great 1st goal and the chip that led to Obika's goal was sublime. Just a shame the seasons over as the team has just starting to gel into a decent side and who knows what they may have done in a play-off scenario.

Just hope that we can sign the 3 or 4 players we need to have a decent go next season (assuming we don't lose Solly,Wiggy, Yann or Harriott). I still think we need a decent keeper, a playmaker in midfield & a 20 goal a season striker (unless Haynes or Obika can form a partnership with Yann) and I think we will be losing Waggy, Kirkar (thank god) and a few other fringe players
  • Options
    Enjoyed second half, some great goals, especially Yann's #2. Shame they don't have play-offs for the play-offs