Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pot Black...psychology of a worldy

"I'm quite surprised really to be sitting here talking about another world final," said O'Sullivan.
"I don't think either of us played anywhere near our best, there was a lot of tension out there. It was the newcomer, the future of the game, against someone who's been around a long time, who wears his heart on his sleeve.
"I might say some things that frustrate people sometimes but my fans always get behind me because they know I try my hardest every time I go out there."

Say what u like about ronnie o but it must be hard to be in a league of 1. Fascinating that his first reaction to the win is not increased self-confidence. Most professional competitors judge themselves on results and victory provides reassurance. The rocket apparently doesn't think like this.

I've always wondered about the severity of the depression. Unscripted comments and reactions he displays must be natural though and more and more I feel sorry for the guy.

So blanket poll

World domination by a manic depressive? Good for the game or somehow demeaning?

I know some fans of the green beige feel the rocket dishonours the game. Even the most rock n roll of the all, hurricane Higgins, didn't have the audacity to play the worlds, only the worlds and smash it apart. The loneliness of the long distance potter...

Of course it might all be pure BS a Hearn media stunt...

But he ain't that good.

Rocket..beautiful style but feel sad he obviously brings. Him joy.

What's the point of being a Worldy if there's nothing to compare to?

Comments

• Options
    He's such a talent but the fact he can't embrace it and share it with the world by continuing to play a bit more and make the most of his natural ability says a lot about how gone in the head he must be
    He actually can't stand the pressure he puts himself under and would rather earn a living a different way ,well good luck with that ronnie cos it don't just fall off trees.
    He needs a decent counsellor to put his mind in a better position so that he can get over these mental blocks he puts in his own way.
    I like him in a devilish way but also think he's a bit of a tool
  • Options
    I'm sick of him , the players are sick of him and the people who run Snooker are sick of him.
    I have the utmost sympathy with him if he has depression but please Ronnie , keep your mouth shut about how much you don't like the game and how you are going to quit. WE KNOW !!! We get the point.
    I think the game is better off without him.
  • Options
    He is playing Barry Hawkins in the final today, who my son tells me is an Addick - dont know how true that is - i wiki'd him and he does come from Dartford, so is poss i suppose - anyone know?
  • Options
    The second semi final Hawkins v Whoever was dreadful. O'Sullivan loath or love him, is a tremendous player and will be a comfortable winner in the final.
    If this years' championship is a true reflection of the current playing strength, then snooker is in trouble. Hearn has his work cut out to con us all into thinking it is/was an exciting tournament.
  • Options

He is playing Barry Hawkins in the final today, who my son tells me is an Addick - dont know how true that is - i wiki'd him and he does come from Dartford, so is poss i suppose - anyone know?

I'm told he's one if those freaks that doesn't like football.
  • Options
    As much as I admire his talent, I just can't get behind him. Nothing to do with his depression, his public statements or his repeated come-backs. It's a West Ham thing. When I hear his fans shouting out, "Go on Ronnie", they might as well be egging on Alan Devonshire, Frank McAvennie or Carlton Cole and I don't like that. Not one little bit.

I really wanted Ricky Walden to win. Mainly because his strange poise and facial grimaces reminded me of Mr Shadrack (Colin Jeavons) in the '70s sitcom version of Billy Liar. Though I do really enjoy the way he has the knack of making the difficult shots look easy and the easy shots look difficult. It always makes for a more enjoyable game if you can't quite be sure what will happen. Now that he's out though, I'll be rooting for Barry Hawkins, and if he does turn out to be an Addick, that'll make it all the better.
  • Options
    Ronnie is heads and shoulder above any player now or in the past, the man never plays for a year and wins without breaking a sweat, remarkable sportsmen
  • Options
    O'Sullivan is a superb player - a joy to watch.
  • Options
    I've never seen a champion look less happy at winning. I really hope he finds that extra something in life that he's looking for.
  • Options

I'm told he's one if those freaks that doesn't like football.
    This is correct.

Hawkins played very well in the final but every time he got within touching distance O'Sullivan went up a gear. His long potting isn't as good as it was 10 years ago but his safety play and shot selection makes up for that. When he is in amongst the balls his cue ball control is streets ahead of anyone else and he gave Trump, supposedly the next big thing, a lesson in their semi-final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig am interested in your comment as i agree wholeheartedly. I was unconvinced at first but i just have genuine sympathy for him.

Nolly also as u say, when u r that much out on your own, must be quite a difficult and lonely place.