Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Gower (ed. 3/6 - Signs 1 year contract)

edited June 2013 in General Charlton
Should we sign him if we get the chance?

Lots of Lifers praising him after yesterday, and having seen his pass through to Pritchard for the 4th goal I can see why. Age is against him, but that hasn't stopped Andy Hughes from having a big impact.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I think he will be released by Swansea and so comes at the right price. He has certainly a very good passing range and can open up play which we currently don't have. I also think he wants to come to us and SCP is I think an admirer. I fully expect him to sign.
  • Options
    Wouldn't say no. Good vision and can certainly pick out a pass.
  • Options
    The pass for the 4th goal was awesome.
  • Options
    Hollands or Stevens out for a fee, Gower in on a free. Wages probably wouldn't be too far apart either so makes sense to me.
  • Options

Hollands or Stevens out for a fee, Gower in on a free. Wages probably wouldn't be too far apart either so makes sense to me.

Hollands I think will leave on a free, Dale Stephens though is still under contract - he has one year left. If we get decent money for him then it frees up wages and a place in the squad.

Gower is worth at least a one year contract.

• Options
    Definitely worth a year. Was impressed that it wasn't all touch and technique yesterday, he got stuck in as well.
  • Options
    Danny Hollands still has a year on his contract
  • Options
    He has done okay but I still have hopes for Stephens to be that player. Still young enough to work on his consistency and there was one game this season alongside Frimpong where he really looked the business. Up to him to put the work in to become the player he is capable of being. Then again, the balance of the midfield may well be better with a more defensive midfielder alongside Jackson.
  • Options
    I'm really not sure on this one, if he can be as good or better than Stephens over a season then yes, providing we can get a million plus for Dale.
  • Options
    Like many others, I hadn't been that impressed in his few appearances before yesterday, but he was excellent. Great vision and looked like the kind of player we've been missing for much of the season, would work well alongside Jackson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think he's any better than Stephens and he is 10 years older . So my answer would be no.
  • Options
    A very good performance, I thought - makes himself available, keeps the ball moving and has a good range of passing, including at set plays ( eg. his free kick leading to the second goal at Middlesbrough and most of his corners yesterday ).

Always difficult to judge if he can sustain it, as he is bound to have a bit of an adrenaline rush and it must feel great just to be playing again after languishing in Swansea's reserves. He is 34 but has a good pedigree.

I imagine that he'll be happy to come for a reasonable wage but will probably want a two year contract. I expect it will all depend upon what is going to happen to our other midfield players like Hughes, Hollands, Stephens and, of course, Rouamba. It is a long and tough old season, so SCP won't want to leave himself short in that area.
  • Options
    Really impressed with Gower's performance yesterday but he's only got a couple of seasons left in him at this level. Should we persevere with Dale or bring in a journeyman...Hmmn decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    If Stephens goes then I for one won't be gutted. Having said that I am still hopeful that Dale can improve and go on to be a very decent midfielder. Maybe that will be with us and maybe not. Gower offers everything that Dale should but doesn't with any consistency. If bringing in Mark allows Dale more time to mature and learn then we are quids in. I would like to see both available to SCP next season.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Someone who was at Sparrows this week doing some PR stuff said all the talk was that Stephens is definitely going. Wants to be closer to home and a few clubs are interested.
  • Options

Someone who was at Sparrows this week doing some PR stuff said all the talk was that Stephens is definitely going. Wants to be closer to home and a few clubs are interested.

People have been saying hes wanting to move back "up north" (is Oldham really THAT far north) since January of our title winning season in league one. Can't see it myself.
  • Options
    He has been released by Swansea. He's a very intelligent player and has got a touch of class about him. Sign him up along with Obika.
  • Options
    Decent enough. Not the most agile and athletic player I've ever seen. Makes Jacko look like a rhythmic gymnast.
  • Options
    Definitely keep him if the budget allows
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would love him as has great ability and obviously a great football brain but with him turning 35 in October, alongside Jackson and Kermo now in their 30s, I worry that we might struggle against the more energetic sides next season?
  • Options
    Difference between him and Stevo is he always wants the ball and doesn't drop into a negative position to get it. Experience. Prefer a younger version though.
  • Options

Difference between him and Stevo is he always wants the ball and doesn't drop into a negative position to get it. Experience. Prefer a younger version though.

Younger would mean paying money. A short term deal that benefits the player and the club would be ideal IMHO. We have a crop of talented youngsters coming through that might just be hitting the ground as a Mark Gower is finishing.
  • Options
    Whether its Gower, Hughes or AN Other. You need an orthodox experienced Central Midfielder to stabilise the midfield in this league. You can't get away with a converted left midfielder in Jacko and a roaming midfielder in Pritchard. The opposition have too much space through the central areas.

I'd sign him now. He's a good passer, keeps it simple and covers the space in front of the Centre Backs really well. Something that was missing before Hughes and then Gower slotted into that role.
  • Options
    If we was to sell dale for a profit and replace him with Gower i think it would make very good business. bare in mind i don''t think yesterday was at full fitness either.
  • Options
    Jackson
    Hughes
    Gower

Our main midfielders.

I would be happy but age definitely isn't on that midfields side.
  • Options
    Mark said the first time he had felt at his fittest was boro away where from those that were there said he was pretty good

I thought he played well yesterday and i think that we are a better team with a baller like mark in it

He would like to stay and from what i know we would like to look into the prospect of that and what it may take
  • Options
    The last 8 games have proved the importance of having an experienced, disciplined central midfielder who can hold his position and allow those around him to express themselves without fear of loosing the ball and then there being no cover to bail them out if need be. I'd like both Hughes and Gower to stay because it's unlikely that either of them could last a full season.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pass for 4th goal was excellent but have seen nothing more to justify a longer stay
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Pass for 4th goal was excellent but have seen nothing more to justify a longer stay

Really. I thought he was excellent yesterday and given that he has been unfit and playing catch up I am sure there is a lot more to offer. When he has the ball he looks confident and is a positive force and when he doesn't he gets into good positions to receive or if the oppo has the ball he covers very well. His type of player is the oil in the engine. Sign him up Chris.