Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dale Stephens

I had hoped he'd really push on at this season. At times he's looked like he was going to but generally has continued to be inconsistent.

There are a few changes that have played their part in our recent good run, and I do feel Stephens losing his place has been one of them. Watching Gower yesterday play a similar role, he kept the ball moving well. Compare that to Stephens who too often unnecessarily slows down our play, which sometimes results in him giving away possession.

As well as Gower, Jackson has also played alongside Andy Hughes, who although purely a defensive player, has kept the ball moving and defends well.

Does he just not suit our style of play or complement his teammates? We don't have the players to sit back and patiently pass the ball around (compared to a team like Brighton). We look a better team when we move the ball quicker and also on the counter when space opens up.

He's still young, does he just need another year of Championship football to adapt and find some consistency? Or do we need a different type of player? Powell's clearly been looking to improve our central midfield this season with the number of loanees, different combinations and various formations he's tried. I expect Jackson to continue as first choice and Stephens if he stays will have to fight for a place in the team.

Comments

• Options
    I posted this on the Mark Gower thread.

ShootersHillGuru Member
    12:37PM
    If Stephens goes then I for one won't be gutted. Having said that I am still hopeful that Dale can improve and go on to be a very decent midfielder. Maybe that will be with us and maybe not. Gower offers everything that Dale should but doesn't with any consistency. If bringing in Mark allows Dale more time to mature and learn then we are quids in. I would like to see both available to SCP next season.
  • Options
    To think about the money we rejected makes me feel a bit ill.
  • Options
    Stephens is a very talented guy and the real issue is whether he can achieve anything approaching consistency. If he could, then we would have a real player on our hands.

In the end, the management will have to take a view, reflecting also where the player is at the moment in terms of his wishes and aspirations. I imagine that he has a year left on his contract; if so, so we are coming up to an important watershed, in the sense that we won't want him walking out in a year's time for nothing. Against that, has he done enough this season to warrant an extension ?
  • Options
    Personally I didn't think he was that good in L1, with only sporadic moments of quality, so it's no surprise that he hasn't been a regular this season.

To think about the money we rejected makes me feel a bit ill.

I've no idea why Lambert thought he was PL class!
  • Options
    Looks like I'm well in the minority of those who who think he could be a top player in this league given a bit more consistency.

Can't think of a CAFC player for ages who can match Stephen's vision and range of passes.
  • Options
    Looks like I'm well in the minority of those who who think he could be a top player in this league given a bit more consistency.

That's just it - a lack of consistency. He has the talent and all the other attributes, but he just seems to have a few too many poor games and he plays in a key position where having a poor game hits the rest of the team's performance.

• Options
    That may improve with age.

Bar your Lampard's and Gerrard's, not many players in that kind of role can achieve 100% consistency.
  • Options
    He has showed moments of pure class and also been substituted early... once all the noise came up over the Villa offer, I took a closer look at him and I thought he was our best midfielder at times...
    P'raps all the Villa talk and a fairly hefty contract dangling but never signed has pissed him off a bit? I hope that he re-appears next season in the squad because he can only add to the options if on form... replacing any one of the first XVIII is not going to be cheap so I would be loathe to start calling for him or any other player to be replaced over the summer.
  • Options
    I would like to him stay as I think he has a lot to offer, is our best passer and could yet be this team's Claus Jensen - ideally I'd like to see him in a centre-mid with Hughes and Jacko so that he could play a little further forward and affect our attacking play a bit more.

But then in the pre-season predictions thread I did say I thought he'd be our POTY this year, so what do I know?
  • Options
    Think he has a lot to offer still & I hope he stays but he certainly hasn't kicked on like I thought he would. Pretty sure if he doesn't do it for us he'll come back to haunt us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blucher said:

Stephens is a very talented guy and the real issue is whether he can achieve anything approaching consistency. If he could, then we would have a real player on our hands.

In the end, the management will have to take a view, reflecting also where the player is at the moment in terms of his wishes and aspirations. I imagine that he has a year left on his contract; if so, so we are coming up to an important watershed, in the sense that we won't want him walking out in a year's time for nothing. Against that, has he done enough this season to warrant an extension ?

Good analysis.

• Options
    Still happy to drive this waste of space to any club interested. Saw him in the under 21's last week and was the weak link there as well.

Sole reason we are not in the play offs
  • Options
    Was thinking about him today, agree with much of the comments above. SE10 makes some good points, but you can't ignore the fact that our recent run all happened without his involvement. I think it's in his head. I'd trust SCP whichever way he calls it. The trouble is I don't think the Villa offer will be repeated because other clubs will not have seen him moving forward this season
  • Options
    Enjoy watching him play, but like so many of our midfielders in recent years he doesn't enjoy watching his midfield partner and then taking it into account on where he should be.
  • Options

Still happy to drive this waste of space to any club interested. Saw him in the under 21's last week and was the weak link there as well.

Bollox
  • Options
    Square peg I think.
    Shame really. I had high hopes.
  • Options
    Never rated him. Even last season we were better without him
  • Options
    From what I can tell I missed most of his best performances, but the games I saw him play in he scored a couple of screamers and played a lot of 10 yard passes sideways and backwards, a third of which were under hit.

There must be something there but personally I'd let him go and finish his development elsewhere. I very much doubt we'll get £2m for letting him go this summer.
  • Options
    Not good enough. Simples.....
  • Options
    Hate to say I told you so, but when Villa made those bids for him in the summer I said we were stupid not to take them, and was quickly shot down by the majority of Lifers. He was our second best CM in L1 after Hollands, and was out of his depth in the Championship. Passes the ball backwards half the time, and often loses possession. If it wasn't for his top quality shooting, he would have been dropped even earlier on in the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You're an idiot
  • Options
    i've always been one of Stephens biggest fans, loved him last season but this season he has been to inconsistent. I think he will improve though, and has the potential to play Premier league football one day; but i think the fact that he hasn't had a look in in recent weeks means he might be off in the summer
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think his quality as a creative midfielder needs the support of a strong defensive midfielder to protect him. I would like to see him play with Hughes alongside him. Could enable him to be the player we think he is.
  • Options
    He's shocking most of the time
  • Options

He's shocking most of the time

Cannot argue with that.

• Options
    anyone got any with/ without stats on him?
  • Options
    He's got a touch of class, but we need players who contribute throughout 90 mins rather than the odd piece of brilliance here and there. Ironically he may be better suited to the Premier League where he would probably find more space and more passing options. Being surrounded by better players would also benefit his style of play.
  • Options

He's got a touch of class, but we need players who contribute throughout 90 mins rather than the odd piece of brilliance here and there. Ironically he may be better suited to the Premier League where he would probably find more space and more passing options. Being surrounded by better players would also benefit his style of play.

Premier league is all about one touch football and good movement. Dale is IMHO a long way off being able to cope with that. He has decent technique but not sure he's football brain is good enough. Whatever the club decide to do with Dale is ok by me.

• Options

Decent young player but I have never seen his "special" or Premiership potential personally and for me he needs a tough tackling minder to be at his best and that is a luxury few clubs can afford at this level.

Who knows- he might fit in well in the EPL which can be much less bruising and if I was Aston Villa I would certainly be prepared to pay £8-9 million to give him that chance. A real bargain.
  • Options
    If he is here next season I think we'll be saying the same thing, he's young, he needs to be more consistent, he has potential. If we get a decent offer we should take it imo