Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powells managerial stats - first two full seasons. With his players. Missing out the bad bits.

I have copied and pasted this from another site.

I think his comment at the bottom is spot on.

Just going on his two full seasons at the helm.

Played: 92

Won: 47

Drawn: 25

Lost: 20

Goals scored: 147

Goals conceded: 95

Points available: 276

Points won: 166

Unbeaten in 72 of his 92 games..... I think we can all agree that it has been a Fabulous effort .......

Comments

• Options
    these stats are special ... just like our manager
  • Options
    When you consider that we won 4 on the spin when he came and then we went on a shocking run soon after those stats are pretty damn good

Does show we concede a goal a game also which is remarkable considering the win %
  • Options
    Bit of a re-writing of history there.

I don't think you can just forget the first half season when looking at stats
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Stats mean nothing - if he takes us up to the premiership, they will go down! We don't need stats to tell us what a great manager he will be. I think he made some errors this year and whilst my passion and support for him has never diminished, I do think the season will have made him an even better manager. That is an exciting thought!
  • Options

Bit of a re-writing of history there.

I don't think you can just forget the first half season when looking at stats

Fair point but I think that the stats as presented show what SCP has achieved with his own players.

• Options
    I might be wrong but hasn't this been posted by a bloke who was boycotting the Valley until Powell was sacked ? May have got the wrong end of the stick about that so apologies if so.
  • Options
    51% win percentage making him our best manager ever FACT

Alan Curbishley 38.5%
    Alan Mullery 29.8%
    Alan Pardew 31.1%
    Albert Lindon 33.3%
    Alex Macfarlane 36.7%
    Andy Nelson 30.2%
    Bob Stokoe 27.1%
    David Clark 33.3%
    Eddie Firmani 30.2%
    Frank Hill 38.5%
    Iain Dowie 26.6%
    Jimmy Seed 42.6%
    Jimmy Trotter 38.9%
    Ken Craggs 35.3%
    Lennie Lawrence 31.1%
    Les Gore (Caretaker) 66.7% (PL 3)
    Les Read 14.2%
    Mike Bailey 49.2%
    Phil Parkinson 38.6%
    Steve Gritt 36.7%
    Theo Foley 32%
    Walter Rayner 32.2%
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I might be wrong but hasn't this been posted by a bloke who was boycotting the Valley until Powell was sacked ? May have got the wrong end of the stick about that so apologies if so.

Boycotting the Valley until Powell is sacked?

Lets hope we see him in another 20 years then.
  • Options
    Just had a look SE9addick...seems he had a road to Damascus moment at Cardiff. Very good of him to recognise that and put up a very positive post.

As Henry says, doesn't include the first half-season, but I think it was pretty obvious from the off that those few months were about getting through to the summer for a squad overhaul.

I think the unbeaten element of those stats shows just how hard this group of players work for each other, Chris and us! Long may it and he continue :-)
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Just had a look SE9addick...seems he had a road to Damascus moment at Cardiff. Very good of him to recognise that and put up a very positive post.

As Henry says, doesn't include the first half-season, but I think it was pretty obvious from the off that those few months were about getting through to the summer for a squad overhaul.

I think the unbeaten element of those stats shows just how hard this group of players work for each other, Chris and us! Long may it and he continue :-)

Fair play if he's seen the error of his way, that's quite a big turnaround in attitude in three weeks!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

Again, that is a re-writing of history. Were you saying that after CPs first four games?

Not taking anything away from SCP who has done fantastically well but let's not make up selective stats
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Again, that is a re-writing of history. Were you saying that after CPs first four games?

Not taking anything away from SCP who has done fantastically well but let's not make up selective stats
    Not using selective stats ! Not interested in a career in politics I see Henry ;0)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Muttley has a point about the stats going down if we were promoted, but the bottom line is you can only beat the teams you are up against and under Powell we are doing this with regularity. It would be interesting to see if someone could do a comparative of the different managers' records broken down by which tier they were managing in.

Henry is quite right about selective stats. The moment you start picking and choosing, they become meaningless.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Not using selective stats ! Not interested in a career in politics I see Henry ;0)

I have a 100% election success rate and I'm keeping it that way : - )
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Have to agree. I think titling these stats as "Chris Powell stats as Addicks boss" is disingenuous as clearly he was "Addicks boss" from mid 2010/11.

I love Powell, but lets not start being selective about what we count and what we don't - that's all a bit Huddersfields winning run for me !
  • Options
    I think a good few people were Henry. You'll also see, if you look back, that all my posts have been very supportive of Chris. We had a new manager who knew how he wanted to play football and, unfortunately, far too many players who couldn't play that way. Even when we won those 4 games, it was pretty obvious that we had a very large element of luck in doing so.

I haven't made up selective stats as you state above, just commented favourably on what was written in the OP and acknowledged your point about that first half season being missing. Bit of a churlish dig out for a nice Bank Holiday morning.
  • Options
    Henry

I am not sure it is rewriting history - it is selective but no more so than half the statistics that many will use to gauge the progress made over any given period. If you were a company CEO you and more importantly the company analysts would quite naturally focus on the results where your decisions had the most influence.

As you know company analysts will crawl all over quarterly deliverables (which I personally happen to think is insane when you the consider the natural variables that will occur within each quarter) as a measure of current performance assessment.

However managing a team of somebody else players whilst providing a valuable reference point can be viewed as a different managerial scenario and therefore not reflective of his full stewardship.

• Options

Henry

I am not sure it is rewriting history - it is selective but no more so than half the statistics that many will use to gauge the progress made over any given period. If you were a company CEO you and more importantly the company analysts would quite naturally focus on the results where your decisions had the most influence.

As you know company analysts will crawl all over quarterly deliverables (which I personally happen to think is insane when you the consider the natural variables that will occur within each quarter) as a measure of current performance assessment.

However managing a team of somebody else players whilst providing a valuable reference point can be viewed as a different managerial scenario and therefore not reflective of his full stewardship.

But he was still "Addicks Boss" though was he not ?

If the stats were titled "Powells stats from first two full seasons" it would be completely accurate and still as impressive. Insinuating that this reflects the full extent of his time "as Addicks boss" because we've decided that the first half a season would spoil the picture a bit is a bit misleading.

If Powell had won those 17 games rather than lose lots of them do you think we'd now be saying they don't count towards his stats ?
  • Options
    TelMc, no need to be so sensative, no one was digging you out, it's an interesting debate.

Grapevine, the first half season may not be reflective of his full stewardship but neither are a set of stats which ignore those games. Otherwise Les Reed is our best ever manager as he never managed his "own" players.

• Options

se9addick said:

Boycotting the Valley until Powell is sacked?

Lets hope we see him in another 20 years then.
    You might want to take a look on Intothevalley mate there's a message for you on there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Les Gore was our best all time manager according to the stats, and a lovely man as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    One of Les Gores achievements was schlepping up to champions Oldham in nineteen hundred and frozen stiff, and turning them over. Two wins one defeat I think.
  • Options
    But you've got to include from when he took over. No point in manipulating true stats to make him look better
  • Options
    I like the new thread title !
  • Options
    Best manager we've had in my lifetime.............................
  • Options

He has some way to go to get ahead of Curbs. Lets not get too carried away. I love him but its still very early

• Options

He has some way to go to get ahead of Curbs. Lets not get too carried away. I love him but its still very early

But I'm only 6
  • Options

But I'm only 6
    I thought you might be by your posts ;0)

• Options
    :-p
  • Options
    I think Parky wasn't far behind Curbs.

I know you'll all have a go but he was and still is a quality manager and has proved it this season.