Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have players performed as you expected this season?

The big plus for me has been Bradley Pritchard who I didn't think would cut it at this level. JJ has also exceeded my expectations.

BWP was a big disappointment and as much as it pains me to say Morro has struggled more than I expected and he does look suspect against pace. Stephens and Hollands haven't been as influential as I hoped.

Solly and Kermo look well suited to this level and there are others who've made the step up with little difficulty.

Comments

• Options
    Pretty much.

I thought the back 5 would be ok and Yann too. The midfield worried me. I always thought JJ would be good enough but, as pace is his one weakness, with the right players alongside him which Stephens and Hollands are (were) not.

I agree that Pritch has been a revelation and is now an integral part of the team.

Waggy is on his way which disappoints me as I think he is one player, Taylor being the other, who could justifiably argue that they didn't get a fair crack of the whip when form was poor earlier in the season. A work ethic like his (Waggy's) will gain just rewards and it is a shame in my opinion that it won't be with us.

BWP hasn't surprised me as I didn't consider him quick enough or physically strong enough to play at a higher level. Unlike some I'd never describe him as lazy though!

• Options
    Hollands was the biggest change for me, thought he'd do fine at this level and was deeply saddened that he hadn't really made the distance at the start of the season. Love that Pritchard cut it and ecstatic that Kermorgant continues to be a cult hero.

Not surprised that BWP has drifted to the wayside a little although thought Fuller would do a bit better than he has.

Solly has been exactly what i expected, class from first to last.
  • Options
    Didn't think Harriott would have the impact he did. Also very impressed with Haynes when he played. The injuries were a shame but when he played up front he scored some brilliant goals and looked like an unstoppable force. If we can get him fit next season for an extended period we'll be laughing
  • Options
    I think this season has been a massive learning curve for the team and the management , i think they've done brilliantly as a collective group.
  • Options
    I don't think Morro has struggled much at all. In fact, he's had a better season than I thought he would. Agree that I've been pleasantly surprised with Pritchard, and over the moon that Yann looks as good as I though he would. Only disappointment for me has been Hollands not cutting it.
  • Options
    Morro is fine, but does drop the occasional major clanger, this Titus Brambleness needs to be eradicated!

Hollands has played all his football in L1 and L2, so it was always going to be a step up for someone in their mid 20s. By contrast Jackson has remarkably been just as effective in the Championship as he was in L1, to get 12 goals from midfield in this league is a great effort.

I agree that Pritchard has been a revelation.
  • Options
    Big plus = Pritch
    Other pluses = Dervite in the end who looks good for next year, Harriott obviously and Haynes when fit. Maybe even Hughes.
    Let downs = Fuller, Stephens and Hollands.
    Evina looked good too
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hollands season was blighted by injury when he did not recover as quickly as hoped from an operation to fuse one of his toes in the summer. Ended up going out on loan at Swindon to get some match fitness where he got injured again suffering a stress fracture of the 5th metatarsal of his left foot. He still has a year left on his contract and was keen to put this season behind him and fight hard for a starting place next term when I spoke to him recently. He put in a good performance at Boro the Saturday before last and if he can maintain that standard it would be like a new signing.
  • Options
    Solly JJ did better than I expected. Hollands disappointing, but Stephens has to be a massive disappointment. Hughes when he finally git fit was outstanding and probably the single biggest influence on our season end position
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pritchard easily most improved. Haynes surprised me with his goals too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought we were going to do a Southampton or Norwich and go up again this season so in that aspect the players have under performed for me.

But it was still an ok season and definitely a good finish, even if we didn't dominate any games we still won a few I guess.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dizzee said:

I thought we were going to do a Southampton or Norwich and go up again this season so in that aspect the players have under performed for me.

But it was still an ok season and definitely a good finish, even if we didn't dominate any games we still won a few I guess.

You are a quite pathetic simpleton. Clearly you didn't think saturday was not a dominant display? Barnsley away? you are a strange strange person, we don't need fans like you!
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Why did you think that?After spending hardly any money in the close season I would have been happy with fourth from bottom.I am ecstatic with Ninth.Cant understand the mentality of people who say we under performed.Bizarre.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    dickplumb said:

dizzee said:

Why did you think that?After spending hardly any money in the close season I would have been happy with fourth from bottom.I am ecstatic with Ninth.Cant understand the mentality of people who say we under performed.Bizarre.

It is a peculiar mentality to take. Going up after Norwich and Southampton was always going to be a hard act to follow - but I think we did really well considering the lack of investment.

Major pluses:
    - Haynes: awesome goals return - if he could keep him fit we'd have something very special.

- Pritchard: difficult to imagine this guy playing non-league now; the fact he's grabbed a couple of goals in the close season has been brilliant

- Harriott: From the moment he came on the pitch he was a complete joy to watch, and I can't wait to see some more of him

- Jackson: After a slow (pardon the pun there... ;)) start to the season he's managed to be very influential - leading some incredibly important comebacks for us.*

Credit where credits due: Hamer, Solly, Wiggins and Kermorgant all made the transition with relative ease.

Coincidentally, there was a tweet to JJ from a Barnsley fan - saying he wished JJ was in a Barnsley shirt and that he completely dominated the game. Thought it was quite a nice touch, if a little strange.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

dickplumb said:

dizzee said:

It is a peculiar mentality to take. Going up after Norwich and Southampton was always going to be a hard act to follow - but I think we did really well considering the lack of investment.

Major pluses:
    - Haynes: awesome goals return - if he could keep him fit we'd have something very special.

- Pritchard: difficult to imagine this guy playing non-league now; the fact he's grabbed a couple of goals in the close season has been brilliant

- Harriott: From the moment he came on the pitch he was a complete joy to watch, and I can't wait to see some more of him

- Jackson: After a slow (pardon the pun there... ;)) start to the season he's managed to be very influential - leading some incredibly important comebacks for us.*

Credit where credits due: Hamer, Solly, Wiggins and Kermorgant all made the transition with relative ease.

Coincidentally, there was a tweet to JJ from a Barnsley fan - saying he wished JJ was in a Barnsley shirt and that he completely dominated the game. Thought it was quite a nice touch, if a little strange.
    There were a few of ours who wanted to sign Perkins "Barnsley Boris" after they beat us at The Valley similarly although I don't know owt about tweeting!
  • Options
    Fuller was a major disappointment for me this season. The way the Stoke fans came on here telling us of his legendary status with them, perhaps I expected too much. Apart from the odd flash of brilliance, I thought he was very ordinary and just picking up a wage at the end of his career. Personally, I hope we don't sign him again next season!

Also Danny Green, I really think he is an enormously talented footballer, he absolutely destroyed us at Dagenham a couple of seasons ago and his crossing ability is second to none at the club, but he has just been so frustratingly inconsistent for us, which is a shame!
  • Options
    I'm going to get slated here but I don't think Pritchard should be in our starting 11 next season if we want to improve. He's not good enough. He puts a great shift in, closing down hassling players and gives 110% perfect for an away performance where we want to nick a point. But week in week out, he hasn't got it. Time and time again for big periods of the game he goes missing, he's passings not great and he can't put a ball in.
  • Options
    agim said:

I'm going to get slated here but I don't think Pritchard should be in our starting 11 next season if we want to improve. He's not good enough. He puts a great shift in, closing down hassling players and gives 110% perfect for an away performance where we want to nick a point. But week in week out, he hasn't got it. Time and time again for big periods of the game he goes missing, he's passings not great and he can't put a ball in.

11 assists in the league this year, more than any other Charlton player, say otherwise.
  • Options
    agim said:

Someone didn't go Blackburn away...

• Options
    Can throw all the stats at me you want, everyone has different opinions. We're all football managers on here aren't we?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agim said:

i know a couple of people who think the same about pritchard. they see he gives 100% but don't think he is good enough. gives the ball away too often is their main problem with him.
    I remember when we were sliding down the leagues that all i wanted was some players who care for the club and give a 100%. pritchard among others (including the manager) here at the moment are doing just that. they make mistakes but overall they have grabbed the team by the scruff of its neck and pulled us up to this position we find ourselves in today. and i thank every one of them. pritchard to me has been exceptional.
    i don't think he will be able to pull us up to the next level but hey, you never know.
  • Options
    Pritchard is the perfect squad player in my opinion. Able to play across the midfield and always gives 100% when he's on the pitch when we need a little help in the middle.

But for most of the season he's been guilty of lacking a bit of quality (though a few games he's done very well). The amount of goalscoring chances he's had that he's missed, we could've been in the play-offs. In the middle of the season he was guilty of misplacing passes too when our form was down.

Does look to be improving in the final few games though, if he plays like he did against Bristol City every week i'd keep him in.
  • Options
    Attitude and hard work can do a lot to make up for technical shortcomings - compare our side to the QPR team who may have far more technical ability but they don't have the same desire and fight.
    Football is a team sport - it's not just about gifted individuals who don't communicate with teamates.
  • Options
    Two seasons out of non-league football to top assists in the Championship. Let's start writing him off.
  • Options
    Charlton fans do love s rags to riches story
  • Options
    Expected way more from Dale Stephens. ;-(