Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No big gap between the Premier League and League 1?

I spotted this item on the Bournemouth website http://www.afcb.co.uk/news/article/2013-05-07-arter-confident-of-championship-challenge-809952.aspx.

It's all very well being confident after gaining promotion but the Bournemouth players may need to think a bit more carefully about the calibre of Championship teams, if Harry Arter's views are representative.

Comments

• Options
    The Championship is much tougher than when we were last in it. Bournemouth may struggle without new signings but they do have a very good manager.
  • Options
    Think they're in a for a shock, i know their owners have a bit of cash but a side that didn't even average 7k and for whom Simon Francis is a regular is going to struggle to compete in the top half of the championship
  • Options
    They will have to spend big to get into the top half, even with Eddie Howe at the helm. They seem to have some dosh though - will probably outspend us, even if Cash is back in the saddle.
  • Options
    "You look at the teams that have gone up from League One last year and they have all been safe and not fighting against relegation," Arter told afcb.co.uk."

Not strictly true, Harry boy.

8 games to go, Charlton were 3 points from safety, Sheff Weds in the bottom 3, Huddersfield plummeting down the table and didn't know they were safe until the last minute of their final game.

With the euphoria of winning promotion, I think what Arter's trying to say, '..... look at Charlton after being promoted. If we can carry on pulling together as a team, we could finish 9th like Charlton - it's within our capabilities'. Or something like that.

And that's fair enough. It's what his team's supporters want to read.

(As an ex-player at Charlton, he obviously still follows our results!)

• Options
    I wouldn't use Charlton as a barometer for Bournemouth Harry. We recorded 18 points more than they've managed in what I would say was a much harder League One than they've been promoted from.

Bournemouth could stay up but it'll be very tough, sub 7,000 attendances will need to improve I'd imagine.
  • Options
    "You look at the teams that have gone up from League One last year and they have all been safe and not fighting against relegation," Arter told afcb.co.uk. "It is the teams that got relegated from the Premiership that are struggling!

I know Oggy's already covered the first bit, but the latter is a huge generalization too. Bolton were only denied a Play-Off place on goal difference.
  • Options

I know Oggy's already covered the first bit, but the latter is a huge generalization too. Bolton were only denied a Play-Off place on goal difference.

It also fails to take into account their massive debts and the exodus of their real talent.

With all due respect to Arter, and he is a 23 year old footballer - not an Economics Graduate, it's easy to look at the league table and make assumptions. However he fails to consider that relegation from the Premier League causes a massive financial black hole that makes it easy for teams to implode. The Wolves team that was relegated from the Premier League (just like Bolton and Blackburn) was radically different from the one that was relegated to League One.

The gap between a relegated team that has been raided for it's best talent and with no money to replace those players, due to the wage bill of those left behind, and the Championship is, indeed, not so great. However the Championship is far from similar to League One. Norwich and Southampton spent a lot of money on their squads, and we walked League One last season. Also Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield finished four points above the drop zone.

I predict that Bournemouth will be in the bottom six for most of next season, and I can't, immediately, think of three teams that I would put money on finishing below them!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't write off Bournemouth without first seeing how they start the next season.

They've got a manager who was at Burnley until mid-season and has a couple of Champs seasons under his belt - so obviously he knows more or less what to expect.

It seems evident that Bournemouth have a good team ethic, like Charlton - so if you've got everyone pulling together they may well punch above their weight.

Obviously they need to make a reasonable start and will hope their present team momentum and confidence can be built upon.
    But they will be an unknown quantity and may perhaps surprise a few teams.

• Options
    I know what they mean. The top six or so in the Premier are in a league of their own, Norwich and Southampton have shown that with good managers, good players and a fair bit of cash, the gulf between the premier also-rans and the first division is not as wide or deep as it may at first seem
  • Options

With all due respect to Arter, and he is a 23 year old footballer - not an Economics Graduate, it's easy to look at the league table and make assumptions. However he fails to consider that relegation from the Premier League causes a massive financial black hole that makes it easy for teams to implode.
    Do you know whether he is not an Economics graduate or is that an assumption?
    What would Steve Coppell think?

-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Cherries have a good manager, but unlike us, they haven't got the messiah ;-)
  • Options

With all due respect to Arter, and he is a 23 year old footballer - not an Economics Graduate, it's easy to look at the league table and make assumptions. However he fails to consider that relegation from the Premier League causes a massive financial black hole that makes it easy for teams to implode.
    Do you know whether he is not an Economics graduate or is that an assumption?
    What would Steve Coppell think?

-)
    It's an assumption. I was trying to avoid suggesting that he was a thick footballer, something that his comments via the link above would suggest.

I used the economics comment as he seems to have made all his assumptions on one quick glance at the league table, not the economics (or finances) of the teams he talks about.

Anyway I don't think it matters but thanks for picking me up on it.
  • Options
    Yeah he simply hasn't realised that teams coming up are in good shape, squad-wise, while relegated teams are in the process of being decimated. I suspect the Wolves team that started their last Prem season wouldn't have got relegated from tier 2.
  • Options
    Considering we love signing former players I'd like to see us sign Harry Arter. Seeing as Bournemouth have a lot more money than us I doubt that'll happen though
  • Options
    There was a step-up from L1 to the Championship,but not as huge as a lot of people on here seem to think.
  • Options
    I think they have enough about them to be safe without pulling up any trees.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

The Cherries have a good manager, but unlike us, they haven't got the messiah ;-)

He's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sorry. Couldn't resist it!
  • Options
    The 3 teams that went down from the Premiership acquired 177 points between them. The three teams that got promoted from League One acquired 181. Not much in it really.

Having said that, we know it is definitely a big step up and a league you have to work out.
  • Options
    Lol 1stevieG
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is a big gap between surviving in the CCC and actually competing for promotion to the Premiership, we probably over-achieved this season when you consider the money spent by Forest, Bolton, Leicester and others who we finished close to in the League.

Just look at Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield - are Bournemouth any better than them really? Not with Arter and Jackson as regulars.
  • Options
    Promotion has just made the lad high and is tripping out on the euphoria of it all.

Can be a bit of a bumpy come-down if you're not too careful.................................
  • Options

There is a big gap between surviving in the CCC and actually competing for promotion to the Premiership, we probably over-achieved this season when you consider the money spent by Forest, Bolton, Leicester and others who we finished close to in the League.

Just look at Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield - are Bournemouth any better than them really? Not with Arter and Jackson as regulars.

wtf is the ccc? Npower championship?
  • Options
    Picky
  • Options
    We struggled early on in the season and bearing in mind we won league 1 with a points tally of over a 100 points. Now take into account how many points Bournemouth got in league 1 last season. Personally, I think it will be a bit of a shock to them on how good the championship really is.