Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Victory In Europe Day

Just got back from me local village where there was a healthy attendance for VE Day, just like it us in pretty much every French town and village. I just wanted to ask if anyone on here in the UK knows what was happening in their local town or village to mark such an important day?

Lest We Forget and all that

Comments

• Options
    None at my local Legion, but I will be the standard bearer in Ypres on 1st June.

We also have an armed forces day event on 29th June.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

None at my local Legion, but I will be the standard bearer in Ypres on 1st June.

This will be a big nationwide event this year and it's been heavily radio advertised for the past few months. Many streets In Cleethorpes are being closed off to facilitate stands, parades and the like. I am looking forward to it
  • Options
    Royal British Legion will never let us forget, but I was meaning more on a local authority level, councils etc
  • Options
    Cleethorpes? Is that in UK?

; );
  • Options
    Just !!
  • Options
    Having really seen anything special here in London. Why is the first Monday (or last Monday) in may a public holiday and not VE Day.
  • Options
    There are lots going on to mark the Battle of the Atlantic this month and in fact the Royal Navy ships will be sailing up the Thames today 1339 hrs HMS Blyth to HMS President. 1432 hrs to HMS Edinburgh to Tower Bridge and 0530 hrs HMS Illustrious at Greenwich.
    They will be sailing past Woolwich about 30 mins before the above times give or take a few minutes due to the tides etc. Might be worth a look if your down that way. It is always strange seeing them sail along that part of the river while everything else just goes on as normal.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Just got back from me local village where there was a healthy attendance for VE Day, just like it us in pretty much every French town and village. I just wanted to ask if anyone on here in the UK knows what was happening in their local town or village to mark such an important day?

Lest We Forget and all that

Second this - it's extremely moving to attend these village ceremonies in France.

• Options
    I for one give thanks to all those who sacrificed so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AC2vzAA5N8
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This is who I remember, especially on days like today.

My Grandfather Lionel Stanley, 5491669, he served with the Royal Hampshires from 1923-1951, he saw action in Cairo, Palastine and Junipor, he was one of the last off at Dunkirk and one of the first onto Gold Beach on D-day. An excerpt from his book-

From the early days
    ''he transferred to the 2nd Battalion and saw action in Cairo, Junipor and then Palestine. The battles or skirmishes they would have had with local militia would have been close-quarter fighting often including ‘bayonet charges’.''

From Dunkirk
    ''the platoon went inside and took a few dinner plates and then proceeded to bury them in the ground with just enough showing through the earth, a couple of Panzers stopped, the crews got out to inspect the ‘landmines’ and the British opened fire and killed them all, after setting fire to the tanks they made their retreat.''

This picture was taken in India in 1925, he would have been about 17, I have the braids he is wearing hanging up at home.

He wasn't a pop star or a footballer, he was better than that he was a bloody hero and I still miss him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice post @Greenie pal.

We Will Remember Them
  • Options
    Cheers BIG_ROB
    He was quite a 'character'!

• Options
    I second what Big Rob wrote Greenie. MEN like your granddad, my dad, uncles and granddad fought for the freedom and privileges we enjoy today. They should never be forgotten.
    Perhaps the French mark VE day in greater style than the UK because the French have suffered under the boot of Fascism, both German and Vichy
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Got my new guantlets, beret, and collected the standard, training tonight :-)