Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dogs and cancer. Advice needed

2»

Comments

• Options
    All the best johnny
  • Options
    Thanks Oriental, Peanuts and everyone else.

• Options
    Good luck johnny73.......keep us posted.
  • Options
    Really hope this works out well for you, johnny .
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Thanks rm. Has a high temperature and doesn't like being touched on the lump. The lump has also changed in size. Is on tablets for next seven days to bring down temp. Apart from that she is acting normally, eating, running with energy etc. Will look for another vet.

A high temperature and painful to the touch. Hmm. I'm no vet or doctor but this doesn't necessarily follow the pattern of a cancerous lump, especially if it has come on quickly. Hopefully it'll be a cyst or something else johnny. Good luck.
  • Options
    An old girl that I deliver to has a JR with a large cancer on her chest, the vet diagnosed that she wouldn't last after January but she still comes bounding out to see me when I pull up. She seems as happy as Larry still!
    Good luck J73
  • Options
    Ruby is now halfway through a course of antibiotics and the lump has dramatically reduced in size. It seems like the lump is an infection of the womb. Possibly an early sign of pyometra. Ruby is booked in to be spayed on Friday and this should reduce the risk of this kind of infection occurring again. Obviously we are relieved that cancer seems a small possibility but at the same time I'm becoming more angry at the diagnosis of the original vet. Thanks to everyone on this thread for advice, support and sharing your own experiences (the best of CL). I'll post an update as we move along.
  • Options
    Thats great news Johnny, hopefully Ruby will kick on and get back to her old self. When vets are not sure their diagnoses seems to be "worse case scenario"
    Bailey's diagnosis..... "Hip Displacia" (hips are 4 & 6 elbows 0-0 great scores) "CDRM" (results clear), when asked where we go if the results were as above, he didnt know and shrugged his shoulders. Seven months of treatment, tests and all sorts treatments later and 5 vets he's correctly diagnosed with a bad neck, all he needed was rest, even walking him on a collar and lead was aggravating his problem. You are right though, you sit down in the cold light of day and get very angry at what has gone on.
  • Options
    That is fantastic news Johnny. Well done for getting the second opinion. Seems like you've found a good a vet now. All the best.
  • Options
    Having op now. Being spayed and having lump taken out (but only because it was easy to do as part of the same operation). They are going to store the lump and we will have it tested only if another one appears. Also getting blood tests done due to her age. Will be collecting her this afternoon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice one mate , get well soon Ruby
  • Options
    Good news that. Nice one!
  • Options
    Great news Johnny...hope all turns out well for Ruby
  • Options
    Please let us know how she is after the op, johnny.
  • Options
    Will do. Still waiting for news.
  • Options
    Pleased this all seems to be working out.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your thoughts. I'm waiting nervously for a call from vets.
  • Options
    Vets say all went well. I will be allowed to collect Ruby in a few hours.

I do want to say that if it wasn't for CL and it's members then I would have trusted the diagnosis of the first vet. I'd seen other threads about pets on here and knew I would receive informative and honest advice. Due to this advice I got lucky and have found a vet to trust. So once again thank you to everyone.
  • Options
    Great news Johnny, onwards and upwards with Ruby...........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cracking photo.....
  • Options
    Aw, bless her little heart !

Great news & lovely pic, johnny.
  • Options
    Get well soon :)
  • Options
    Always good to hear a happy ending. Goes to show the importance of seeking a second opinion, for humans as well as animals.
  • Options
    Brill photo johnny. Well done mate and rock on ruby!
  • Options
    Just caught up with this thread. So happy the story had a good ending Johnny. Lovely photo too.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Op went well. Just took ruby back for follow up and all ok (including blood tests). Will obviously be monitoring for next few months in case any other lumps appear but we would probably be doing that anyway. Back to normal now.
  • Options
    Brilliant news, johnny.

This helps to balance out the worrying rumour that Ken Bates has Charlton on his radar.....