Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obika on a permanent?

What do people reckon? He's been a powerful player for us and scored 3 times in very few appearances. Would say worth getting on a perm. Don't think it's likely as he said he wants to make it at Spurs though, however will he realise that this will be extremely difficult and almost impossible for him to do?

Comments

• Options
    He gets my vote. But if he wants to stay at Spurs I guess there is nothing Chris Powell can do.
  • Options
    He's under contract at Spurs so there'll be a fee of some kind, but I'd take a punt - perhaps on a season long loan if a fee can't be arranged. With Fuller going and the likes of Smith and Piggott a tad too young to do anything other than make the odd appearance we will need a regular starter.
  • Options
    He looks decent to me and id like to sign him.with respect to the lad if he wants to play regular first team football he could be waiting a long time at spurs.
  • Options
    I'd have him back just so we can sing the song. And he's quite good at playing football as well.
  • Options
    Yh, he won't ever make the first team for Spurs, he's already a fans favourite at cafc and CAFCdamo you're righ, it's the best song we've had in a while haha
  • Options
    Really can't see him breaking into Spurs first team, would be happy to sign him as competition up front.

He's under contract at Spurs so there'll be a fee of some kind, but I'd take a punt - perhaps on a season long loan if a fee can't be arranged. With Fuller going and the likes of Smith and Piggott a tad too young to do anything other than make the odd appearance we will need a regular starter.

Smith's only a year younger than Obika - if he doesn't break through next season he will most likely be released, he's in the last year of his contract.
  • Options
    Think even harry kane is ahead of him in the pecking order, okiba's a decent striker to have come off the bench but he strikes me as the sort of bloke who wouldn't want to be a bit part player.
  • Options
    He's shown glimpses of quality and could be a decent striker for us next year if we can manage to get him.

But wouldn't take too much from his performance against Bristol City, they were bottom for a reason...
  • Options
    Sometimes you have to go with the momentum and I think this is one time but I don't think the lad sees it like that. Like others above I think he'll struggle to hold down a first team spot at Spurs, it's not that he's not got the quality, he's just not the finished article that spurs seems to have in abundance. Getting him to understand that though is a different matter, as a footballer you have to believe in your ability, you're always told that and he obviously does. He needs the experience to make the step up and there is only one way he'll get that.

It's worthwhile remembering that he was in a good place with us and seemed to have a strikers instinct but, it was only a few games, some strikers have good periods then go off the boil. I'd certainly have like back on loan but if it meant a fee I'd rather we looked at the midfield.
  • Options
    Surely it would suit us, and them, to get him on a season long loan or a loan until January. Will be hard to break into their first team so would probably be able to get him when he is our of contract with them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No disrespect to Jonathan but if he's going to make it as a striker in the Premier League I think he will have to leave Spurs, get games and then get picked up by a prem club or get promoted into the top flight. I suspect it will be mighty tough for him to break through at White Hart Lane. I think he can get those games and the experience he needs with Charlton just as well as with anyone else. I like him and the attitude he's shown when on the pitch for us and I think he looks like a SCP sort of player. Come on Jonno. You know it makes sense.
  • Options
    Of course he has to say he wants to make it at Spurs, he can't realistically say otherwise when he signed a new contract. But assuming he is not completely dumb, he will know that he is very very unlikely to break into the first team there and that a successful spell with us might be a better route to the Prem - either with us or impressing and securing a move.
  • Options
    All the young Prem chicks out on loan return to their club for pre season and have the odd bench opportunity in pre- seasons and the early rounds of Capital One Cup but by October are being farmed out again on loan. Expect JB will be back in the autumn unless we purchase another one or two strikers b4 31/8.

Also wondered if CP is looking for a gem in La Liga 2 following his 2 games in a day in Spain during the spring international break??
  • Options
    Another loan yes. A Permanent deal ? , im not so sure.
  • Options

This
  • Options
    I imagine even the Spurs fringe players are on much higher wages than we could offer, so if anything we're looking at a loan.
  • Options
    Loan yes -----money to Spurs no
  • Options
    He will never ever make it at Spurs. Think he would be a decent squad option for us but only really as a backup to Kermogant and another Mendonca-esque striker if we can find one of them on the cheap! Obika and Haynes as backups woul be a decent 4. Not convinced Obika is good enough to be a leading frontman though. I'd take a season long loan.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

This
    Agreed. I think he is showing glimpses, but if we have any funds to even contemplate the fee that would be needed for him i would rather we looked elsewhere. Go for a season long loan for definite, but permanent i think its too risky for us financially.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I imagine even the Spurs fringe players are on much higher wages than we could offer, so if anything we're looking at a loan.

I am not sure they pay that well at Obika's level.Button certainly wasn't on much ,they reckon he doubled his wages when he moved to us.It is worth noting that Spurs renewed Button's contract around this time last year also.

It looked a good idea for him to stay put at the time with only golden oldies Cudicini and Friedal and the inconsistent Gomes in front of him, the signing of Lloris changed this.I suspect Spurs only renewed Button's contract to protect their right to a transfer fee and it wouldn't surprise me if a similar pattern happens this summer with Obika.

I also understand that Spurs often put in first refusal buy back clauses in these deals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like him, can we afford him? I hear he wants to stay with us
  • Options
    Surely we ought to be trying to re-sign Pavel Abbott?
  • Options

Surely we ought to be trying to re-sign Pavel Abbott?

Just for the pure comedic value.
  • Options
    I'm still not 100% convinced. Yes he has scored a few very important goals, however I don't see any major qualities in his overall game that would make him a hugely effective part of the team.

We know exactly what qualities the likes of Yann and Haynes bring when they play and we can therefore play to those strengths.

Obika strikes me as more of a poacher if anything. I reckon the best solution would be to bring him in on loan again, possibly for a full season.
  • Options
    I hope the days of Pawell Abbott , simon francis , mcoxo are well and truely behind us

Should we ever try or look to sign that sort of player again i would prob fear more than ever before
  • Options
    Obika is better than Haynes IMO.

Also fitter.

Sometimes players just hit it off with a club. If I was his adviser I would be pushing him to go and see SCP and beg to sign.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Also fitter.

Sometimes players just hit it off with a club. If I was his adviser I would be pushing him to go and see SCP and beg to sign.

Not a chance
  • Options
    I think that JO is a very useful prospect. Better than DH ? Completely different players. I hope JO is with us in August.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Also fitter.

Obika and Haynes would be extremely mobile, both pretty fast and strong. They could be a Wright / Bright combo.
    Maybe not quite as prolific but both young, eager and would be a right handful given the right service. OR a Big Yann splitting defences in two for them to do the damage
    *feels a twinge in his pants*
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Think we are probably the best club for his development - he has built a good foundation with us and knows how the team plays and that he can have a place in that. He will surely go on loan and surely it is a no brainer for him to choose us.

Not sure about him joining us in the Autumn. He may miss out on a starting place if he is not available from day one!