Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How to protect your Football Ground

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22509557

Oxford United fans have won their bid to protect the club's Kassam Stadium after it became the first to be listed as a "community asset".

Comments

• Options
    Moat, portcullis, drawbridge, minefield, barrage balloons ?
  • Options

Ring the valley in soap dispensers to keep the Nigle's at bay!

• Options
    Quite fancy the idea of the Valley getting World Heritage Site status, one of the modern 8 wonders of the world.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Loco said:

Ring the valley in soap dispensers to keep the Nigle's at bay!

Pouring boiling oil from the tv gantries, establishing a killing field outside the club shop, and building pits of ordeure (I think there called) in the dug outs.
  • Options
    Manchester United and Liverpool supporters trusts are also looking to have their stadiums designated in the same way.

Of course the designation doesn't stop a sale of the ground but it might make owners think twice about pulling a fast one and gives us the opportunity to at least make our voice heard in the situation.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Seems like a good idea to ensure that supporters have to be advised should anything be in the pipeline about a sale of the ground.

I had a look at the RBG website ( https://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/site/scripts/xforms_form.php?formID=97&language=en ) and it looks like it is relatively simple to nominate...

Under the Localism Act, voluntary and community organisations can nominate an asset to be included on a list of 'assets of community value'.

Only a voluntary or community body with a local connection can nominate land or buildings in Royal Greenwich to the list of assets of community value.
    A building or piece of land is deemed to have community value if its main purpose is to further the social well-being or social interest, including cultural, recreational or sporting interests of the local community.

It would need to be the Trust or a Supporters Group that actually applied though.

I would hope that the new accord between the Club and the Trust would negate the need for this, but I can't see that it would cause any issues.
  • Options
    There was an article in Trust News 2 on this subject (we got in contact with Clive Efford who is actually one of the biggest advocates for this in the Hiuses of Parliament).