Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ebay

Had a job lot of electronic stuff which I sold on Ebay. By the time I'd paid postage and commission and PayPal, and re-listed stuff that didn't sell I decided it wasn't worth the effort. I listed the last item (a very old unbranded amplifier) on Saturday expecting it not to sell. As of this morning I have 9 bidders and 35 watchers with 5 days still to run. I've come to the conclusion that the more shit something is the better chance of it selling. I am now wondering what the record is for watchers and bidders as in the past the maximum I've had is 5 watchers and 5 bidders. Ebay is nuts...FACT!

Comments

• Options
    Old amps and speakers are 'really hip' .. modern rockers going retro .. trying to sound more like the Yardbirds or Herman's Hermits. A friend of mine who sells a LOT at boot sales, auctions, antique fairs and online has a theory that good stuff does not sell .. rubbish ? .. the good folk can't get enough
  • Options
    Have used ebay for many years and it's definitely better for buyers than sellers.
    Had one guy buy a printer from me, didn't cost much and if I'd sent tracked mail I'd have actually lost money so just sent regular. He emails me and says the ink is low (I already said this on the listing) and wants some money back - I say no, so he gets onto paypal and says he hasn't received it. Despite me having emails from him they weren't interested and I still had to give refund, ridiculous! Only sell a few things now and always tracked if possible.
  • Options
    You are spot on about buyers being the winners. I bought a pair of speakers for £29 still selling in shops for £390...reason? The guy lived in the middle of nowhere and too heavy to post. I was the only bidder and just a few miles away, so swings and roundabouts. Lincs, the amp is a class A domestic job and only 15 watts per channel, so still bizarre.
  • Options
    Give the public what it wants .... or thinks it does
  • Options
    Ebay is Nuts, i listed a rare record Electro 12" the one that has since been used on the Cadburys ad with the kids
    First 2 times listed a few watchers thats all, third time well the last 20 mins went mad and went from £8.99 to £124.00, could not refresh the page quick enough.

Even sold some brooches the Mrs got cheap not old or anything as a idea for the girls dance dresses, cost 99p each some even had bling missing where they werethrown in the sewing box for a couple of years think i ended up getting £3-£4 each for them .

Its a mad mad place.

Only ever list on free weekends as the fee's screw you big time
  • Options
    Have sold on Ebay and it's been OK no real bad experiences but strangely haven't bought although bid for a guitar today. Not sure what I think really but my instinct tells me that buyers generally do better than sellers
  • Options
    MOBY DUCK said:
    Got lost in the voice and f**k off production...Brilliant!

• Options
    My experience with eBay is buying and selling coins. I've had 3 problems:

1 - Cheque bounces. My fault, sent the coin (gold) too quickly. No commision refund, time limit. Loss of £250 + commision, + bank charges (£15)
    2 - Bought an 1832 silver Parma coin. Approx. value £320, got it for £70. But it got me, was a falsie, made in China, not even silver. Offered to sell it
    back to seller for £25, no answer, of course. Ebay did not intervene, no commission refund, time limit.
    3 - 37 lots, £260, auctioned to one buyer (er, from Romania). Cost of bank transfer too high she asks for Paypal and accepts the extra 4%.
    Unmodifiable, pretends it had become technically impossible because I had mentioned Paypal refusal; I accept to register with Moneybookers
    for her and since then, no answer. Neither from eBay in spite of my numerous requests. Commission taken, time limit (a few days in London to
    watch our game against Bristol City)

I have never received any answer from eBay for any of these incidents. I have come to the conclusion they DON'T HAVE A CUSTOMER SERVICE.
    Not in France at least.

• Options
    38 watchers now...there's gonna be a war and there's only going to be one winner...ME!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feel for u Adrian! They certainly don't care about the seller.
    Maybe_ I've had that many watchers on something before and not a single bid, couldn't believe it!
  • Options
    Talal said:

Feel for u Adrian! They certainly don't care about the seller.
    Maybe_ I've had that many watchers on something before and not a single bid, couldn't believe it!

That's it, put a damper on it :-)

• Options
    It's started! 41 squid already.
  • Options

It's started! 41 squid already, and still four days to go.

• Options
    got something like 30 spaghetti western films for about £11. Some of the films are really B movie gash but there's some classics in there (Death rides a horse).

I really enjoy picking up dvds and screenplays on there.
  • Options

got something like 30 spaghetti western films for about £11. Some of the films are really B movie gash but there's some classics in there (Death rides a horse).

I'm seeing a lonely bedsit...piles of videos (and washing up) a sad old sod sitting crossed legged in front of the TV etc :-)

• Options
    edited May 2013

I'm seeing a lonely bedsit...piles of videos (and washing up) a sad old sod sitting crossed legged in front of the TV etc :-)

Some don't take kindly to the misuse of telescopes ;-)
  • Options
    Talal said:

Some don't take kindly to the misuse of telescopes ;-)
    The misuse of telescopes is usually NOT being a voyeur.

• Options
    Advertised a tablet PC thing as used for sale (unwanted Christmas present).
    Sold for good price. Buyer wanted receipt of purchase from Christmas.
    Mentioned that I didn't,t buy it new.
    Buyer wanted money back.
    eBay found in my favour.
    Nothing wrong with tablet, but buyer upset it wasn't as new as they thought.
    Even offered 10% as goodwill.
    Used means used.
    Only positive thoughts on eBay from me.
  • Options
    I put £55 of tiles on there with a link to the website you could buy them from as a reference. Got £75 for them and the buyer drove 250miles round trip to collect. Mental.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had 200 watchers and 40 bidders on my campervan......didnt even get half way to reserve, and I wasnt looking for top dollar either. Here in Australia I'm afraid ebay=toot....most of the stuff listed is absolute shite quality or not working properly......had two recent problems with a Stihl chainsaw and an expensive 33" mower...the mower lasted all of one cut before the engine packed up.....the Stihl is basically running but knackered. I wont buy anything in future without viewing it first....oh and dont even start me on the Daimler I bought last April..........
    :)
  • Options
    What is annying is when you have a shit load of watchers and you think yes this is going to be good and no f***er bids, what a let down
  • Options
    Update: Now 43 watchers but after reading TEL's post I'm not so optimistic. The up side is that I didn't even think it would sell.
  • Options
    Bump. 23 bidders, 51 watchers...now up to £105 and 29 hours still to go. In addition have 2 bidders willing to spend over £100 to have item shipped to far East.
  • Options
    Bump: 33 bidders, 54 watchers...now up to £141 and still 5 hours to go. I'm seriously thinking of only selling old tat on Ebay from now on.
  • Options
    £250 smackeroonies...and from a Scouser. Mind you, he'll probably pay in hub caps.
  • Options
    Well played maybe. I sell stuff on ebay all the time and are constantly amazed at some of the prices I achieve.
  • Options
    Some nice old CAFC shirts on there at the moment.
  • Options
    I've got a bike to sell on there at the moment but can't put it up until a kindly friend helps me with knowing what the spec is as I'm clueless to these things.
  • Options
    Just sent someone a cd by recorded delivery, got a message from them saying it has arrived but wasn't sent recorded. *Bangs head against brick wall face*