Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bye bye Gus Poyet

Comments

• Options
    Such an arrogant man
  • Options
    Apparently he is in the BBC studio doing analysis for the Uruguay game!
  • Options
    HT will be interesting viewing
  • Options
    Did his DNA match the poo in the changing rooms.
  • Options
    He finds out by Chappers handing him the clubs' statement.

• Options
    They sacked him by fax to the BBC lol
  • Options
    This whole thing is a bit bizarre, to say the least.
  • Options
    Awks
  • Options
    We swapped managers with Brighton in 1981: Mike Bailey and Alan Mullery. Is there any danger of history repeating itself?
  • Options

We swapped managers with Brighton in 1981: Mike Bailey and Alan Mullery. Is there any danger of history repeating itself?

Don't think so, and hope not. Think Poyet fancies himself for a Premier League job anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know what Poyet has done to get the bullet, but that is no way to sack the man who's played a big part in turning a bottom feeding shitheap of a football club into a Championship contender.
  • Options
    Perhaps he lost his job in a game of poker. Brighton's Chairman is a pro.
  • Options
    Typical BBC..............................someone working there spotted the club statement which had gone up on their website. Poyet makes out it's a big surprise and then says the 2 parties (club and his representatives) had been talking earlier today.
    Would be interesting to see what the grounds for his contract termination are................one for the lawyers.
  • Options

No.

• Options

No.

Good.

• Options
    Wow, I've just watched it on Youtube. That's a pretty low thing to happen.

I'm guessing he will appeal for compensation? Surely his position would be untenable if he did manage to get them to reverse their decision. Additionally, you'd think appealing it would affect his chances of finding employment elsewhere in the foreseeable future.

Can't wait for all the details to come out though, I'm sure this is going to be pretty interesting...
  • Options
    Woah
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I'm guessing he will appeal for compensation? Surely his position would be untenable if he did manage to get them to reverse their decision. Additionally, you'd think appealing it would affect his chances of finding employment elsewhere in the foreseeable future.

Can't wait for all the details to come out though, I'm sure this is going to be pretty interesting...

It would only ever be compensation in that situation. Suspect though that failing to turn up for the disciplinary hearing will be his undoing, regardless of other rights and wrongs in the case. He had the opportunity to put his side of the story, chose not to take it and left the club with little choice given that pre-season and the transfer window are rushing by.
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

It would only ever be compensation in that situation. Suspect though that failing to turn up for the disciplinary hearing will be his undoing, regardless of other rights and wrongs in the case. He had the opportunity to put his side of the story, chose not to take it and left the club with little choice given that pre-season and the transfer window are rushing by.
    I thought the LMA had already covered that off, advising Brighton that the required delegate to accompany Poyet was away and would only be available on the Thursday or Friday. Brighton scheduled anyway and then said Poyet didn't turn up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Tel, didnt know that.
  • Options
  • Options
    He didn't turn up to his tribunal did he? Works both ways.
  • Options
    I think he knew it was coming - just a bit surprised at the timing!

Bet Sky were a bit gutted Poyet wasn't on their shows as they would have loved that sort of dramatic news.

• Options
    The chairman wouldn't have been able to attend later in the week to suit Poyet due to his own royal ascot commitments most probably. What a mess.

Loved his sons reaction on twitter which got RT'd by some news agencies.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Next Permanent Brighton Manager after Gus Poyet

Óscar García Junyent 1/6
    Tim Sherwood 10/1
    Glenn Hoddle 10/1
    Harry Redknapp 10/1
    Martin O'Neill 12/1
    Stuart Pearce 16/1
    Steve McClaren 20/1
    Roberto di Matteo 20/1
    Darren Ferguson 25/1
    Mike Phelan 33/1
    Chris Powell 33/1
    Alan Pardew 33/1
    Tony Pulis 33/1
    Uwe Rosler 33/1
    Karl Robinson 33/1
    Phil Neville 33/1
    Alan Curbishley 33/1
    Eddie Howe 40/1
    Neil Warnock 40/1
    Neil Lennon 50/1
    Gianfranco Zola 50/1
    Paul Lambert 50/1
    Stuart McCall 50/1

Poyet is currently favourite to be the next Newcastle manager.
  • Options
    Óscar García Junyent - just resigned (well a few weeks ago) from coaching Meccabi Tel Aviv "for personal reasons".

Be interesting to see if he does get the job - I wonder if Brighton have tapped him up?
  • Options
    Brighton chairman Tony Bloom has claimed that Gus Poyet informed him in March that he wanted to leave the club at the end of last season.

Poyet was suspended by the Seagulls following their play-off semi-final defeat to Crystal Palace, and he was subsequently sacked for gross misconduct in June.

But Bloom has revealed he received a call from the Uruguayan - who was under contract until 2016 - in March, shortly before Poyet turned down an approach to replace Brian McDermott at Reading.

At a Brighton fans forum on Thursday, Bloom said: "It got triggered by a phone call four days before the game against Crystal Palace in March.

"(Gus) phoned me up and he made it clear to me that he wanted to leave at the end of the season."
    Tony Bloom

"He didn't want to discuss it at all. He said that if he could leave, if it would be allowable for him to leave the next day that would be fine.

"So this was hugely shocking to me and it was something I had to manage between then and the end of the season.

"Obviously the key was the players and the team and our promotion push. I didn't want anything to get in the way of that.

"And then lots of things happened between then and the end of the season which I don't want to discuss.

"I had a great relationship with Gus for three years. So it's just very, very disappointing the way things finished
  • Options
    Gus Poyet's Employment Tribunal claim against Brighton has been withdrawn.

The Sunderland manager was dismissed by the Sky Bet Championship side in June over an alleged incident of gross misconduct whilst in the care of his duties.

He appealed the decision to Brighton's board, but that was rejected, and he then took up the option to go down a legal route by taking the club to a tribunal.

But a statement made by a legal representative on behalf of Mr Poyet read: "In relation to Mr Gus Poyet's departure from Brighton Football Club, both Mr Gus Poyet and Brighton Football Club have now reached a settlement whereby Mr Gus Poyet has withdrawn his Employment Tribunal Claim.
  • Options
    Would love to know what went on